SOTU (State of the Union)

Windseeker

How our POTUS described the SOTU doesn't match my state where only 1/3 of it's residents make a living wage and that number has fallen every year for the past 6 years.  The number on fed assistance is growing every year.  

Don't worry about it.  It doesn't match the country either.

I thought it was interesting that President Obama said he would support oil pipelines. He seemed in sections to be throwing the Republican congress a bone.

No.  He didn't say that.  He's back to roads and bridges.

No.  He didn't say that.  He's back to roads and bridges.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/sotu-transcript-state-of-the-union-transcript-text-video-114421.html

21st century businesses need 21st century infrastructure – modern ports, stronger bridges, faster trains and the fastest internet.  Democrats and Republicans used to agree on this.  So let’s set our sights higher than a single oil pipeline.  Let’s pass a bipartisan infrastructure plan that could create more than thirty times as many jobs per year, and make this country stronger for decades to come.

I parse that as meaning, I'll give you your pipeline now get me fast internet and fast trains. Now that I read it, I can see how you could interpret him as saying pipelines are yesterday's solution.

I also liked this bit

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/sotu-transcript-state-of-the-union-transcript-text-video-114421.html

And tonight, I call on this Congress to show the world that we are united in this mission by passing a resolution to authorize the use of force against ISIL.

But found it at odds with this:

we reserve the right to act unilaterally, as we’ve done relentlessly since I took office to take out terrorists who pose a direct threat to us and our allies.

I'm getting tired of this and wish he would just get it done already:

Since I’ve been President, we’ve worked responsibly to cut the population of GTMO in half.  Now it’s time to finish the job.  And I will not relent in my determination to shut it down.  It’s not who we are.

And while I like the rhetoric of this snippet, the cynic in me just doesn't believe it.

As Americans, we cherish our civil liberties – and we need to uphold that commitment if we want maximum cooperation from other countries and industry in our fight against terrorist networks.  So while some have moved on from the debates over our surveillance programs, I haven’t.  As promised, our intelligence agencies have worked hard, with the recommendations of privacy advocates, to increase transparency and build more safeguards against potential abuse.  And next month, we’ll issue a report on how we’re keeping our promise to keep our country safe while strengthening privacy.

I parse that as meaning, I'll give you your pipeline now get me fast internet and fast trains. Now that I read it, I can see how you could interpret him as saying pipelines are yesterday's solution.

Better yet... he is saying, the Keystone Pipeline is not a solution.

I also liked this bit

But found it at odds with this:

I'm getting tired of this and wish he would just get it done already:

And while I like the rhetoric of this snippet, the cynic in me just doesn't believe it.

You and I are at odds with the Gitmo thing - so that's another one of the stuff that made me shake my head at the SOTU.

And I don't like the rhetoric of that snippet.  It's a dumb foreign policy position.  So yeah, you can tell how much I like the SOTU - not.

I like how he mixed talk of working together in bipartisan ways and looking past party boundaries, with his lectures and smirking at the republicans, especially that part where he chastised them for not clapping, saying "That's good news, folks!"

... and the I won the last 2 elections dig...

And next month, we’ll issue a report on how we’re keeping our promise to keep our country safe while strengthening privacy.

IOW, just like he's done ever since promising "transparency," he'll strengthen his own privacy while demanding that we all become more transparent to warrantless "investigative methods."

... and the I won the last 2 elections dig...

He is supposed to ignore the ignorance of the republicans while they are mocking him? I suppose he could but it was a funny moment for most of us. Obama has a good sense of humor.  

I like that he is still trying to get the congress to act on repairing and replacing our infrastructure. That is looking to the countries future in a positive and necessary way. A huge side benefit is all the jobs created by the work needing to be done. The longer we wait the more expensive it will be and repairing will no longer be possible for more and more structures and roads. 

State of the Union speeches are supposed to be upbeat and hopeful. They are useful for encouraging the citizens to give their congressmen a nudge to acting on bills needed. It is also a good time for the presidents to let the nation know what he has in mind for his agenda and how he intends to accomplish those goals. I thought he did a good job. Obama is not a boring speaker and is good at getting people enthused. Hopefully he will have the support of congress to get some of the things he is shooting for done. I dont hold out much hope but I can dream cant I? 

Well the answer I hear all the time is there are lots of jobs and if they dont have one it is because they need to get up off their lazy bum and get one. Of course that is from the party I dont love so I pretty much discount it. :D  I am curious how you respond on a political post without being political, palerider?

Edited by annewandering

I like that he is still trying to get the congress to act on repairing and replacing our infrastructure. That is looking to the countries future in a positive and necessary way.

Didn't we allocate, like $800 billion for that kind of thing back in 2009 and also divert a few billion from TARP for these supposedly "shovel-ready" infrastructure projects?  That kind of money could have given $2700 to every man, woman, and child in the United States.

Where are the results?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Didn't we allocate, like $800 billion for that kind of thing back in 2009 and also divert a few billion from TARP for these supposedly "shovel-ready" infrastructure projects?  That kind of money could have given $2700 to every man, woman, and child in the United States.

Where are the results?

I think the shovels broke.....Lol