Left Socks and Right Socks

JimmiGerman

Ye might know the problem: ye put yer socks into the washing machine, an' later ye don't know which ones were the right or left ones. I've found an absolutely reliable solution: always tie a knot in yer right socks (or yer left ones, it depends on ye, if ye're a Yankee or a Southern man). Make a tight knot. Put'em into the machine, and, as the knot won't get open,  then lay'em the same way on the heater and let'em dry. They'll be clean and will dry, because the knot doesn't matter. This is what I would recommend  to ye, and the (maybe) final solution of an old Yankee problem, and, not to lose my religion, don't le' me unmention the South will rise again.

Edited by JimmiGerman

I have a better solution - don't buy socks that have to be worn either on the left or the right.

Ye might be talkin' about nylons and those things, ladies' wear. I'm talkin' about good old cotton socks, and they're getting formed out for yer right or left foot after wearing dem a few times. Especially in boots it's quite uncomfortable when dem don't fit exactly. More disturbing than a darn..  censored.gif  rattlesnake's bite.

*edited for use of profanity

Edited by pam

I have 3 boys living in my house.  They don't got no left nor right socks.  They got socks.  Wear on whichever foot.  And, they get all the same style.  So you got white socks on one box, blue socks on the other, and black, and green, and brown... each color are of the same style.  So, you want white socks - grab 2 from that box yonder... they will match.

I agree with backroads and anatess.  You have black socks, you have blue socks, you have white socks.  Just grab 2 of the same color and you're good to go.

Of course now the big thing is to wear socks that don't match.  Go figure.

Now, here's an interesting thing - my 2 kids have the same size socks and underwear... and I grew up with an OCD mother and got used to not sharing spoon/forks let alone socks and underwear.

Solution - one son has fruit of the looms, the other son has hanes.

I agree with backroads and anatess.  You have black socks, you have blue socks, you have white socks.  Just grab 2 of the same color and you're good to go.

Of course now the big thing is to wear socks that don't match.  Go figure.

It's a question of esthetics.  A right sock belongs to the right foot. A right shoe belongs to the right foot. Or would you recommend to mix your left shoe with your right? No. And what would a sock look like if you weared it several times on your right foot and then suddenly on your left? It wouldn't fit perfectly and it wouldn't look fine. Do you wear a right glove on your left hand, ladies? No, certainly not.

Edited by JimmiGerman

It's a question of esthetics.  A right sock belongs to the right foot. A right shoe belongs to the right foot. Or would you recommend to change your left shoe with your right one? Do you wear moccasins in America? Certainly not. And what would a sock look like if you were it several times on your right foot and then suddenly on your left? It wouldn't fit perfectly and it would look ugly. Do you wear a right glove on your left hand, ladies?

Do your socks look like this?

furry-sock-4.jpg

Now, here's an interesting thing - my 2 kids have the same size socks and underwear... and I grew up with an OCD mother and got used to not sharing spoon/forks let alone socks and underwear.

Solution - one son has fruit of the looms, the other son has hanes.

You are undoubtly clever and maybe prudent. But it doesn't fit my problem.

It's a question of esthetics.  A right sock belongs to the right foot. A right shoe belongs to the right foot. Or would you recommend to change your left shoe with your right one? Do you wear moccasins in America? Certainly not. And what would a sock look like if you were it several times on your right foot and then suddenly on your left? It wouldn't fit perfectly and it would look ugly. Do you wear a right glove on your left hand, ladies?

Well, gloves have fitted thumbs with design on one side - easy to determine left and right.  But - food prep gloves - right and left are the same - pick two from the box and if the thumb is on the other side, flip it over.

Socks (at least Asian and American ones) are shaped the same for the pair... and it doesn't matter because they're stretchy and encase the foot snug.  The high-end ones (like the expensive socks that you buy with your tuxedo) have shaped instep and should be worn on the left or right... these have a design on one side of the sock that is meant to be worn on the outside leg.  My husband has a few of these - they don't get mixed in with the everyday socks - they are washed in delicate cycle and put in a separate box than the rest of the socks.

Most of the everyday socks do have ankle-bends so the only consideration is to wear the sock bottom-side down.  Sports socks can come as tube socks - doesn't have ankle bends so you can wear bottom up or down doesn't matter.  Shoes, on the other hand, are shaped specifically for the left or right foot and don't stretch.

Edited by anatess

Do your socks look like this?

furry-sock-4.jpg

Hahahaaa! Nope! This is like it was in the American sitcom (in German: Eine schrecklich nette Familie) when Al Bundy (as a shoe seller assistant) once invented "God's shoes" to make money, and they were of golden metal, and looked the same you've shown here. Of course, it was going to end up in a flop.  :lol:

Edited by JimmiGerman

My friend actually wears those Swiss socks. They are made of Kevlar and help protect kiteboarders and surfers from coral. I heard they are very comfortable. 

2-sock-ride-rs.jpg-.jpg

Here is another solution (notice the brand name)

Over-the-Hill-Socks.jpg

Edited by Windseeker

Well, gloves have fitted thumbs with design on one side - easy to determine left and right.  But - food prep gloves - right and left are the same - pick two from the box and if the thumb is on the other side, flip it over.

Socks (at least Asian and American ones) are shaped the same for the pair... and it doesn't matter because they're stretchy and encase the foot snug.  The high-end ones (like the expensive socks that you buy with your tuxedo) have shaped instep and should be worn on the left or right... these have a design on one side of the sock that is meant to be worn on the outside leg.  My husband has a few of these - they don't get mixed in with the everyday socks - they are washed in delicate cycle and put in a separate box than the rest of the socks.

Most of the everyday socks do have ankle-bends so the only consideration is to wear the sock bottom-side down.  Sports socks can come as tube socks - doesn't have ankle bends so you can wear bottom up or down doesn't matter.  Shoes, on the other hand, are shaped specifically for the left or right foot and don't stretch.

I've already mentioned that I'm sure you are clever and certainly practically minded. But to be honest: your left foot is different from your right. Windseeker has proven it here. And a sock forms out where the left or right big toe is. Right? When changing them, the place for the right big toe is on the left side (actually preserved and formed out for the left big toe), and this looks a bit ugly. It won't disturb young boys or football players, but a highly civilized Gentleman.  :D

Edited by JimmiGerman

You SIR...are a gentleman and a scholar I might add.

I understand your dilemma and while I find your solution tempting, does not tying a knot in a sock when washing prevent uniform cleaning. I would think that dirt would get trapped in the knot. I would rather have socks on the wrong feet then to have one clean and one dirty sock. 

Instead I propose that when donning said socks to hold them open from the top allowing them to hang to the floor. While viewing them from above, gravity will reveal their true nature as they will either curve slightly to the left or the right depending on which foot they belong too. Once their disposition is unveiled you can then done the socks appropriately. 

Good luck good sir.

You SIR...are a gentleman and a scholar I might add.

I understand your dilemma and while I find your solution tempting, does not tying a knot in a sock when washing prevent uniform cleaning. I would think that dirt would get trapped in the knot. I would rather have socks on the wrong feet then to have one clean and one dirty sock. 

Instead I propose that when donning said socks to hold them open from the top allowing them to hang to the floor. While viewing them from above, gravity will reveal their true nature as they will either curve slightly to the left or the right depending on which foot they belong too. Once their disposition is unveiled you can then done the socks appropriately. 

Good luck good sir.

Gravity will reveal their true nature...? I will certainly have to think about it.  smiley-eatdrink005.gif

Edited by JimmiGerman

I've already mentioned that I'm sure you are clever and certainly practically minded. But to be honest: your left foot is different from your right. Windseeker has proven it here. And a sock forms out where the left or right big toe is. Right? When changing them, the place for the right big toe is on the left side (actually preserved and formed out for the left big toe), and this looks a bit ugly. It won't disturb young boys or football players, but a highly civilized Gentleman.  :D

I thought you said highly civilized Germans  :D

Now, if you can sideline a bit of your German precision... if you shove socks in the box, then the socks won't get a "set shape" because, the odds of them getting set in that shape is very small when the sock is worn on the left today and on the right tomorrow.

And as a side-note... my husband and I and our 2 kids have "Greek toes" and even Morton's.  So, the sock would protrude towards the middle toe - not a big difference from left to right.  Now, "Germanic toes" have the big toe sticking out from the rest of the toes... so the sock protrusion will have to swing far to the left and far to the right.

C6YU7sx.jpg

I thought you said highly civilized Germans  :D

Now, if you can sideline a bit of your German precision... if you shove socks in the box, then the socks won't get a "set shape" because, the odds of them getting set in that shape is very small when the sock is worn on the left today and on the right tomorrow.

And as a side-note... my husband and I and our 2 kids have "Greek toes" and even Morton's.  So, the sock would protrude towards the middle toe - not a big difference from left to right.  Now, "Germanic toes" have the big toe sticking out from the rest of the toes... so the sock protrusion will have to swing far to the left and far to the right.

C6YU7sx.jpg

Amazing. This is news to me.

2l9nxuh.jpg

I guess I'm...an Egyptian, maybe?

In any case, socks in the Vort household are ambidextrous.