Seahawks vs. Colts?

prisonchaplain

Sorry, PC, but if Truth, Justice, and the American Way are to prevail, I'd rather not waste it on a football game.

Your tragic error (they are so few, btw) is that you capitalized Truth and Justice.  Jesus is the Truth, and large-J justice only happens in heavenly kingdoms.  I don't mind frittering the lower-case stuff on the Broadcast-Sports-Entertainment complex.  :cool:

Edited by prisonchaplain

Your tragic error (they are so few, btw) is that you capitalized Truth and Justice.  Jesus is the Truth, and large-J justice only happens in heavenly kingdoms.  I don't mind frittering the lower-case stuff on the Broadcast-Sports-Entertainment complex.  :cool:

I don't think it's an error.  Truth and Justice - the large-letter type - is the American way as preserved, supposedly, by the American Constitution, which, as LDS believe, is rooted on the preparatory steps to the restoration of the gospel.  So yeah, we need to baptize you now so you won't think this an error.  :D

Hmmmmm: It is my personal belief that someone is not caught cheating until they are caught cheating.  I have long realized that just because something is reported it does not mean that it is.  Also just because things appear one way - that may not be what was.  I do not believe there is proof and despite all the so called experts - I do not believe a foul can be called unless anyone sees a foul.  I am not saying anyone is innocent - just that if I do not know something to be true I personally refuse to teach it is so. 

:) <-- This is for your parenthetical comment.

I had Superman in mind, but I must concede the point to you.

Our baptismal theologies may differ somewhat, but I thought we were in agreement that the sacrament serves as a capstone to conversion, not as a catalyst for it?  B)

But you're already converted.  You just don't know it yet.  LOL!

I realize that it is the popular notion currently to believe New England cheats.  But there are so many things that come to my mind concerning this subject.

First: I have yet to see any proof presented that cheating did occur.

Second: I believe the rules state clearly the penalty for cheating with ball pressure.  I find it interesting that those insisting rules be followed also suggest that rules not be followed for the "Punishment". 

Third:  I am discouraged with how easily people can be convinced without proof - especially how easily convinced to dislike many individuals associated with New England that could not possibly have been involved.  I am convinced that especially among fans that concepts of sportsmanship and fair play is not part of the landscape of modern enjoyment of sports.  We cannot just like our favorite teams - we must despise - even hate our rival competition.

Stats Show the New England Patriots Became Nearly Fumble-Proof After 2006 Rule Change Proposed by Tom Brady

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/warren-sharp/stats-show-the-new-englan_b_6555802.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

And please note, that this rule applied to ALL quarterbacks.  So, it really has no bearing on the fumble-proof tied to the rule change as tailor-made for Brady.  People just loooovvvee to grasp at any straws that they can pin on Brady.

If you're going to pin Brady, you can't do it by demeaning his talent.  The kid has talent.  Now, if you're gonna say he shouldn't be playing the Superbowl because he likes to ogle cheerleaders... and you can find stats to prove that... I might look into it.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

And please note, that this rule applied to ALL quarterbacks.  So, it really has no bearing on the fumble-proof tied to the rule change as tailor-made for Brady.  People just loooovvvee to grasp at any straws that they can pin on Brady.

If you're going to pin Brady, you can't do it by demeaning his talent.  The kid has talent.  Now, if you're gonna say he shouldn't be playing the Superbowl because he likes to ogle cheerleaders... and you can find stats to prove that... I might look into it.

Seriously, you don't find it in the least suspicious that the same people who pushed to have all teams provide their own game balls -- and who in fact openly said that the reason for that was the different levels of inflation of the ball -- now stand accused of underinflating their game balls?

Not even a little suspicious?

The reason for it in my opinion is that the Patriots have brought all this scrutiny on themselves and of course winning doesn't help. I think for once people might want to see them win something without controversy. Of course when you win all the time you pick up fans who no longer like you because you win all the time. Same thing for my St Louis Cardinals people are tired of seeing them win so they pick up those who no longer cheer for them.

Say what you want about the Tuck Rule that incident helped them to win that game. We will probably see more rules in regards to how they beat the Ravens in regards to which and who was eligible as receivers.

I also don't think Brady will ever take the hit for these footballs. The locker room assistant is now the scapegoat.

However the bigger issue is....cheating is cheating and it should not matter if everyone does it. It's still cheating.

Roger Goodell is spineless and has not responded to way too many things in this league or swept them under the carpet. It's also known that he and Mr Kraft are buddies

Edited by Palerider

Seriously, you don't find it in the least suspicious that the same people who pushed to have all teams provide their own game balls -- and who in fact openly said that the reason for that was the different levels of inflation of the ball -- now stand accused of underinflating their game balls?

Not even a little suspicious?

Suspicious... no.  I've seen Tom Brady play.  That guy is really good.  Now, if it was Johnny Manzel - yeah, he needs an edge on his footballs.

But that's not what we're doing here.  We're not suspecting.  We're accusing.

Suspicious... no.  I've seen Tom Brady play.  That guy is really good.  Now, if it was Johnny Manzel - yeah, he needs an edge on his footballs.

But that's not what we're doing here.  We're not suspecting.  We're accusing.

Well, the accusation is not of what happened. That's established fact. The accusation only about the intent. And honestly, anatess, if the circumstances do not even make you suspicious, I think further conversation on the topic will be fruitless.

Well, the accusation is not of what happened. That's established fact. The accusation only about the intent. And honestly, anatess, if the circumstances do not even make you suspicious, I think further conversation on the topic will be fruitless.

What's established fact?  That Brady or Bellicheck deflated the footballs?  I don't think that's established fact.

The circumstances with footballs do not make me suspicious, no.  Not with Brady.  It's like Thomas Monson getting accused of tricking some guy in Britain into paying tithes so the Church can get money.  There's just nothing to support it and no intent I can pin on it.  Brady is the best quarterback playing in the NFL today.  He just has no reason to have to cheat with footballs.

But yes, further conversation is fruitless.  What keeps me posting here is the double standard people have.  It's okay for them to establish guilt without proof when it comes to the Patriots.  But they abhor the practice when it comes to cops.

I've been a big advocate of punishing the cheating, but I am more than willing to admit that humor was driving much of my OP.  The reality is, after Sunday, when the Seahawks trounce the New Englanders, we'll all be feeling a tad sympathetic, and will probably nod and say "Enough," when they get their hand slap.

:P      :P      :P 

I've been a big advocate of punishing the cheating, but I am more than willing to admit that humor was driving much of my OP.  The reality is, after Sunday, when the Seahawks trounce the New Englanders, we'll all be feeling a tad sympathetic, and will probably nod and say "Enough," when they get their hand slap.

:P      :P      :P 

That's what the punishment will be too....a hand slap. Poor locker room guy taking the rap. Lol!!

Brady is the best quarterback playing in the NFL today.  He just has no reason to have to cheat with footballs.

Precisely.  Brady didn't know he was throwing a ball that was only 85% inflated?  The doctrine of res ipsa loquitur seems to apply.

But yes, further conversation is fruitless.  What keeps me posting here is the double standard people have.  It's okay for them to establish guilt without proof when it comes to the Patriots.  But they abhor the practice when it comes to cops.

There is some equivalence there, but it strikes me as almost wholly theoretical.  No one's accusing Brady of a capital crime, and Brady's income last year could pay the salaries of about seven hundred and fifty cops.

Moreover:  In a criminal investigation you usually have all the time in the world.  But here, time is of the essence; because the date of the Super Bowl is fast approaching and (IMHO) nothing short of barring cheaters individually--or perhaps the team collectively--from the Super Bowl will be an effective deterrent to future cheating.

If Bill Belichick thought his team's berth in the Super Bowl was at stake, we'd have the true explanation in no time.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

That the balls were underinflated.

Yes, that's fact just like Climate Change is fact.  The question is not whether they were underinflated.  The question is whether it was deliberately underinflated by Tom Brady and/or Bellicheck or even if it was man-made under-inflation.  There's supposedly video of the fall guy taking the ball somewhere.  Haven't seen it yet.

Precisely.  Brady didn't know he was throwing a ball that was only 85% inflated?  The doctrine of res ipsa loquitur seems to apply.

There is some equivalence there, but it strikes me as almost wholly theoretical.  No one's accusing Brady of a capital crime, and Brady's income last year could pay the salaries of about seven hundred and fifty cops.

Moreover:  In a criminal investigation you usually have all the time in the world.  But here, time is of the essence; because the Super Bowl is already scheduled and (IMHO) nothing short of barring cheaters from the Super Bowl will be an effective deterrent to future cheating.

Brady plays in New England most of the time - where Fall and Winter are cold.  The rest of the time he is playing half of it in places like Green Bay where temps go negative or Seattle where atmospheric pressures fluctuate... or he plays in places like Florida or Texas where it is hot and muggy all through Winter.  A good quarterback needs to be able to play ANY ball the Refs hand to him.  It is not his job to complain about the condition of the ball unless the ball affects his game negatively.  It is his job to win a game.  It is the Refs job to enforce regulation rules.

Now, there is, of course, the assumption that ALL balls except for the Patriots balls are not underinflated and that the underinflation in the Pat's vs Colts game is completely out of the ordinary.  I still haven't seen anybody show that the Colts balls were not underinflated and neither is all the other balls played in the play-offs.

Edited by anatess

Yes, that's fact just like Climate Change is fact.  The question is not whether they were underinflated.  The question is whether it was deliberately underinflated by Tom Brady and/or Bellicheck or even if it was man-made under-inflation.  There's supposedly video of the fall guy taking the ball somewhere.  Haven't seen it yet.

I think climate change caused the balls to be under-inflatied. I also believe that the Patriots caused climate change. Therefore, they cheated AND are destroying the Earth!

Disclaimer: Rumors of my believing these things have been greatly exagerated...

Edited by Claire