News flash!! Press conference today.

pam

Gosh am I at the right site?  I thought this was an LDS site.  But the level of hatred and bigotry that is being displayed is just amazing to me.  I thought we were about love.  You could sure fool me on this thread.

Oh please . . . give me a break.  Advocating that individuals have a moral right to discriminate is completely different than advocating hate.

Please point me where I advocated any hate or malice.  Simply point, I didn't if that is the way you interpret it then that is one you.

Perhaps it would be prudent to review this talk https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/loving-others-and-living-with-differences?lang=eng by Elder Oaks, arguably the most prominent modern defender of marriage and morality. Here is an excerpt:

In dedicated spaces, like temples, houses of worship, and our own homes, we should teach the truth and the commandments plainly and thoroughly as we understand them from the plan of salvation revealed in the restored gospel. Our right to do so is protected by constitutional guarantees of freedom of speech and religion, as well as by the privacy that is honored even in countries without formal constitutional guarantees.

In public, what religious persons say and do involves other considerations. The free exercise of religion covers most public actions, but it is subject to qualifications necessary to accommodate the beliefs and practices of others. Laws can prohibit behavior that is generally recognized as wrong or unacceptable, like sexual exploitation, violence, or terrorist behavior, even when done by extremists in the name of religion. Less grievous behaviors, even though unacceptable to some believers, may simply need to be endured if legalized by what a Book of Mormon prophet called “the voice of the people” (Mosiah 29:26).

On the subject of public discourse, we should all follow the gospel teachings to love our neighbor and avoid contention. Followers of Christ should be examples of civility. We should love all people, be good listeners, and show concern for their sincere beliefs. Though we may disagree, we should not be disagreeable. Our stands and communications on controversial topics should not be contentious. We should be wise in explaining and pursuing our positions and in exercising our influence. In doing so, we ask that others not be offended by our sincere religious beliefs and the free exercise of our religion. We encourage all of us to practice the Savior’s Golden Rule: “Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them” (Matthew 7:12).

When our positions do not prevail, we should accept unfavorable results graciously and practice civility with our adversaries. In any event, we should be persons of goodwill toward all, rejecting persecution of any kind, including persecution based on race, ethnicity, religious belief or nonbelief, and differences in sexual orientation.

(bold mine)

So if we are to discriminate in places of business just because of a person's sexual orientation, what's next? Schools segregated by orientation? 

We're sunk as a church if we can't emulate the Savior and His teachings. Who did He dine with? Who did He walk with? Who did He heal?

?? Yes, the Savior walked among the prostitutes and they said. Love us for who we are, we are doing nothing wrong.  And He said okay.

I don't think so.  He walked and dined among the penitent and humble. Not the proud and haughty.  And the LGBT movement sure ain't humble and penitent.  It's all about suing and you're such a hateful person for discriminating.

Perhaps it would be prudent to review this talk https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/loving-others-and-living-with-differences?lang=eng by Elder Oaks, arguably the most prominent modern defender of marriage and morality. Here is an excerpt:

(bold mine)

So if we are to discriminate in places of business just because of a person's sexual orientation, what's next? Schools segregated by orientation? 

Well considering that school are public entities, no. (sigh)

Again, I am advocating for your right to be wrong.  Do I think it is wrong to discriminate, sure. Do I believe there should be a law against it no.

And I agree with Elder Oaks.

But he did not say: Anyone who discriminates should have their business closed, fined and put in jail!

Oh please . . . give me a break.  Advocating that individuals have a moral right to discriminate is completely different than advocating hate.

Please point me where I advocated any hate or malice.  Simply point, I didn't if that is the way you interpret it then that is one you.

Did I mention you or any other name?  No I did not.  I was responding to the general feeling of this thread that has had numerous posts so far.  Now if you felt I was directing my comments to you..then perhaps that is your problem.

"homo" is a slur. A slur is, by definition, hateful. Enough that the several times you used it had to be removed.

Seriously . . .are you serious?  Homo. short for homosexual.  I think that is more revealing about you than about me.

Taking offense where none is intended . . . you are way too sensitive.

"homo" is a slur. A slur is, by definition, hateful. Enough that the several times you used it had to be removed.

Do not change my posts like that.  If you are going to do that, then ban me.  

Do not change it to gay.

The LGBT movement has hijacked language, I will not use gay as a term for homosexuals.  Homo. is short for homosexual and it was not intended as a slur.  Either ban me but do not modify my post like that.

And the "n" word is just a form of "negro", which comes from Niger in Africa. So it's all cool, right? 

Ask any gay person how they feel about you calling them "homo".

And the "n" word is just a form of "negro", which comes from Niger in Africa. So it's all cool, right? 

Ask any gay person how they feel about you calling them "homo".

Give me a break. n isn't a short form of negro . . . not even close.

If you are going to change it from short form then use the proper terminology, i.e. homosexual not some hijacked language.

Edited by yjacket

Seriously . . .are you serious?  Homo. short for homosexual.  I think that is more revealing about you than about me.

Taking offense where none is intended . . . you are way too sensitive.

This kind of sounds like you think I'm some extreme flag-waving left-wing loud mouth. If that's the case, you haven't been paying attention to anything I've ever written. Okay, maybe the loud mouth part is a little accurate, but not the rest. At all.

According to dictionary.com:

Homo

nounplural homos. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a contemptuous term used to refer to a homosexual, especially amale homosexual.

This kind of sounds like you think I'm some extreme flag-waving left-wing loud mouth. If that's the case, you haven't been paying attention to anything I've ever written. Okay, maybe the loud mouth part is a little accurate, but not the rest. At all.

No I don't.  I just don't like language being hijacked.  I refuse to use gay in reference to homosexuals and I don't appreciate it when someone else changes my words.  I try to be exact with my terms and I will not allow the homosexual revolution to hijack my words.

Give me a break. n isn't a short form of negro . . . not even close.

If you are going to change it from short form then use the proper terminology, i.e. homosexual not some hijacked language.

She didn't say n was a short form of negro.  That's not even what she said.

Google it and read the first entry, and then a few after that. Cripes, this is not worth burning my hamburgers.

If you have noticed I generally type homosexual . . . but after two or three times I use abbreviations.  And I don't care what the dictionary says, I don't mean it in a negative way, I mean it as short form and I'm not going to let someone's feelings determine how I type.

I don't discriminate over who a person is, but what they do. So a person who has same gender attraction comes into my restaurant. I don't even have any desire to throw them out. If they will pay for the food I serve, it's no problem at all. But if he or she begins talking loudly about his/her lifestyle, getting drunk and disorderly, bothering other patrons...out they go. 

If I owned an apartment complex and  a gay couple wanted to rent it, so be it. ( It would be hard but if that's the law, I'd allow it.) But if they behave badly as tenants and bring their gay friends over for orgies- boom- they're out on the street looking for somewhere else to live pronto. 

Their is definitely a limit to what we should tolerate. Same goes for any person regardless of orientation.