Canadian Provice told Christian Law Graduates Cannot be Barred from Practicing

prisonchaplain

In a beautiful decision my neighbor to the North, Canadian justice has told Nova Scotia that it cannot bar graduates of Trinity Western University's law school from practicing law in the provice, simply because the alma mater bars gay sex amongst students. The justice said it's not about LBGT vs. Evangelical Christian rights, but rather about respect, inclusion, and the true meaning of tolerance.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2015/january/canadas-first-christian-law-school-wins-supreme-court-case.html

From what I can gather, Canadian bars are deciding on a province-by-provence basis whether Trinity's grads may practice in their jurisdictions.  The results have been, up to now, a mixed bag. 

This is progress; but we shouldn't break out the (non-alcoholic) champagne just yet.  Things could easily turn the other way.

I didn't break them out...but I did check on them.  They are chilled and ready.  Of course, if it turns the other way, we may need a few more bottles...oh wait...that doesn't work with sparkling cider, does it?  :cool:

I see nothing wrong with drowning my sorrows in fake Mormon wine. Except that it costs about five times as much as regular soda pop, and it makes me fatter.

• 5 months later...

From what I can gather, Canadian bars are deciding on a province-by-provence basis whether Trinity's grads may practice in their jurisdictions.  The results have been, up to now, a mixed bag. 

This is progress; but we shouldn't break out the (non-alcoholic) champagne just yet.  Things could easily turn the other way.

Update:

http://www.therebel.media/_trinity_western_s_loss_a

Edited by lonetree

We may be returning to the days of the earliest church--when we were outsiders--counter culture.  They told lies about us, but could not deny our good works.  Having clout and being on the inside has been nice.  It's been a good ride.  If things go south (literally and in the downward sense) on this issue, we'll soon stop debating who real Christians are theologically/doctrinally.  The answer will be simple--who's left?

• 2 weeks later...

We may be returning to the days of the earliest church--when we were outsiders--counter culture.  They told lies about us, but could not deny our good works.  Having clout and being on the inside has been nice.  It's been a good ride.  If things go south (literally and in the downward sense) on this issue, we'll soon stop debating who real Christians are theologically/doctrinally.  The answer will be simple--who's left?

I've been thinking like this for some time. There was a day when being a Christian meant more than putting on your best hat every Sunday and yawning through a sermon with a bunch of other well-groomed bourgeois*. You took your life in your hands. Bishops back then were always old men - not because old men are wise, but because they knew they had less to lose than the young. Christians - especially prominent ones - often came to nasty ends.

I imagine those early saints looking down from their clouds at today's Christians wondering what most of us are complaining about. (OK there is actual persecution of the church in some countries, but not in the USA or Western Europe.) Not that I want a return to those days, but who knows? The sort of secular liberal opposition we're starting to see might shake things up a bit!

*P.S. Not that I'm ever particularly well-groomed when I go to church.

Edited by Jamie123

I am not sure it is a matter of Christian verses non Christian.  Historically it has always been those in power and how they treat minorities that believe something different.  As long as there is a belief that bad people will be forced into hell - there will always be those that believe in helping G-d acomplish that task.

Edited by Traveler