How did you meet your significant other?

Bini

My father and I ran an accounting business with my father being there part time. He hired a woman to come in for typing duties. I remember the first moment I saw her. I'm not saying there was a spark, but I instinctively knew she would be important to me. We bonded quickly and we dated about a year and a half before we married. I was a new member when we met and she joined the church about four months later. We've been strong in our marriage (now 30 years) and in church as well. She is a driven person. Without her, I would still be living in a chicken coop in eastern Delaware.

I met my husband at a club/bar. He walked in the door under the black light and his very blonde hair shone like a halo around his head. He is a tall chap so I saw his head by the doorway while I was in the middle of the dance floor. I told my friend that I just saw the guy I'm going to marry. The rest is history.

Edited by anatess

I met my husband at my LDS friend's wedding reception. We were both in the bridal party. I was the bride's friend and he was the groom's brother.

She was married on a Friday and the reception was the next day, Saturday. The groom's parents had a reception lunch at their house for family and bridal party members. I remember looking around the house to see if I recognized people or if I could figure out who everyone was. I noticed my future husband getting food at the table and thought that he looked so out of place. For a second I actually thought that he might be someone crashing the party but then I remembered that the groom had another brother. He and I got changed into our wedding clothes first so we talked while everyone else was getting ready. I got the impression by his conversation that he must be the black sheep of the family. It had never occurred to me since meeting my LDS friend that some people/children would not follow the family religion; but my husband was one of those people. I was curious about him I guess because he seemed like the black sheep. At the time of the wedding I was dating someone else who came to the reception at the stake centre.

At the reception my husband asked me out but I declined since I brought a date to the wedding. We did go on our first date the following Saturday and my first impressions of him weren't anything special - and first impressions can be so deceiving. It took sometime for me to get to know the real "future husband". He has a great sense of humour but it took sometime for it to appear. We got married almost two years later to the day of meeting each other.

M.

Let me just sit here in the corner and sing some Michael Buble.

I just haven't met him yet. /o\

I'm with you, yoyoteacher.

In my pre-LDS days, I attended a megachurch with a woman on staff who was almost 90 years old and still single.  One day she was invited to speak to my Sunday school class.  She hobbled up to the microphone and blurted out: "When I die, I'll have only women pallbearers.  You men never took me out in life, and by God you'll not take me out in death."

I always roared with laughter when I thought about this, but in retrospect it does seem like an odd way to begin a Sunday School lesson.

But everyone's stories here are very nice.  Interestingly, no mention of blind dates... that's how my own parents met.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Mine is a blind date story too!

I was led to by the Spirit to Bethel, Alaska.  It's out in the bush...you can't drive there, you have to fly in.  I had applied for a job with the state and the first job that I was offered to interview for was in Bethel.  I didn't think I would like it (I loved Anchorage, and had no desire to go to the bush), but the Spirit instructed me to go.

I was right--I hated Bethel.  To be fair though, most of the people that live there love it, it just wasn't for me.  Anyway, I was assigned to visit teacher my future mother-in-law.  Of course, I didn't realize it at the time.

During one long, dark winter . . . they only get sun for a couple hours a day in the winter and I was working Graveyard and missed those couple hours, the temps dipped to 85 degrees below zero (wind chill), and on Christmas day I came home from work and had a really hard time getting in the house because my door was frozen shut.  I was not a happy camper.  So I decided to go to the temple.  Back then the closest temple was Seattle, but I loved the Portland temple and it was only 20 more minutes by plane.

So I got on the plane...first from Bethel to Anchorage.  When I got to Anchorage, I was surprised to see the lady I visit taught there.  She explained that she had been visiting family and was now going to Portland.  Portland?  Me too!  So we asked the stewardess to seat us together.  

On the plane ride she said, "You can't visit Portland all alone.  Let me call my single son and see if he will be your tour guide."  

The rest is history...well sort of...it wasn't love at first sight, but we did decide to stay in touch.  Only he was a horrible letter writer. The relationship was doomed.  And then the Spirit told me to move to Portland.  My husband still teases me about that. "I knew you wanted me," he says laughing.  Yep, that was awkward.  But once I moved to Portland things began to progress in a normal fashion and...the rest is history.   :)

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

I met Just_A_Girl at the mental hospital.

LOL.  That is the best "how we met" line ever.  

We met at an institute dance. We were both ballroom dancers at UVSC (now UVU) 

That is awesome.  My sons love ballroom dance.  The two oldest started it--they were in a Stake Dance production, and also had a friend who participated in ballroom dance. So they started taking classes (and joined a team desperate for boys!)  Now a third son has joined, and likely the fourth (I have four sons) will do so in time (he's only eight, and it's expensive so he has to wait.)

I was serving in Venezuela. 

Yo también!  I was in Maracaibo...a long time ago.   :)

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I was in a singles ward and gave a talk in sacrament mtg. A couple weeks later some friends and I were out late at Dennys restaurant on a weekend when some girls walked in and started talking to us. One asked me if I would go on a blind date with her sister because she had seen me in the ward. I said heck yes because I was always up for stuff like that. Well we met up for our triple date with some other couples and as she was playing mini golf at the place we were at I looked at her and thought my goodness she will make someone a wonderful wife. I thought to myself that she is the most beautiful lady I have ever seen in my life. Little did I know. I am so, so lucky. That was 15 years ago now. I always tell her the main reason I married her is because her dad owns a huge ranch that has awesome hunting on it. She of course knows I am kidding. Well sort of.. just kidding.

Let me just sit here in the corner and sing some Michael Buble.

I just haven't met him yet. /o\

Since I married in my late 20's I often wondered before meeting my now wife, if my eternal partner was killed in the war in heaven.  :(

I thought to add the story of a friend's daughter.  My friend was from Arizona and his daughter went to BYU where she was a member of the BYU ballroom dance team.  There was a national competition going on so my friend and his wife went to watch his daughter compete.  After the competition there was a dance in the BYU Wilkinson Center.  My friend had dinner with his wife and stopped by the dance before going to the hotel that night.  As they were some distance away on a balcony overlooking the dance floor he saw his daughter standing on the side line with some friends and decided to film his daughter without her being aware.

As he was filming his daughter a young man approached his daughter and asked her to dance.  So he filmed her dancing with this young man.  As it turns out he captured, unknown to ether of them, their first meeting and dance.  They were later married (in the temple) and their meeting and first dance is forever on video to be viewed for generations.

Ballroom dancing rocks.

Sister Vort-to-be and I were living in the BYU language houses (different languages). The connection was immediate. Sparks flew. Our first date, which would have been boring to any outside observer, was electric for us. I never believed in "love at first sight" or "there's one special person just for you" until that point. Since that time, I don't laugh quite as hard at the idea, and don't dismiss adherents as naifs.

I am sure that "love at first site" always happens with the arrival of children...an most certainly grandchildren. :) I think that relationships like your "love at first site" are the most stable. I have this romantic notion that when this happens, it is the Spirit recognizing something that started before this life here on earth. So...good for you.

I am sure that "love at first site" always happens with the arrival of children...an most certainly grandchildren. :) I think that relationships like your "love at first site" are the most stable. I have this romantic notion that when this happens, it is the Spirit recognizing something that started before this life here on earth. So...good for you.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I like to think so, too.

Met my now husband on an LDS based online dating site. We chatted via the site for about 4 messages each, then switched to yahoo messenger. He is a very slow typist, so he walked me through hooking up my microphone and we talked for several days. 

On the 5th day after we connected, I went on a Branch Temple Day - while there, I prayed about him and the crazy feelings & emotions I was going through. He was all I could think about. 

When I got home, I sent him my phone number and attached a picture of my temple recommend, with a few things blocked off. He sent me his phone number and temple recommend. Then he called me. We talked through the night - 10 hours. Without even going to bed, I called my HT- who was also the Branch Clerk - and had him meet me at Church. He checked him out for me. Yes he was a member, yes he had all the Melchizedek Priesthood and his recommend was valid. The Branch President then called future hubbies Bishop and asked about him. 

Future Hubby called me that night and asked if I had been talking to his Bishop. Not me, but my Branch President did. They both gave the go-ahead to pursue a relationship if we so wished it. 

From the first day that we sent messages to each other to the day we got married, was 13 DAYS!  :eek:  I ended up going to the Temple 3X's to get verification from Father. The 3rd time I got the voice in the ear: I Said He Is The One, quit asking and quit stalling! I practically skipped out of the Temple. Now, he needed to propose. I turned back to go back into the temple, when I heard - It is the 21st Century - YOU ask him! So I did! 

We got married 25 Aug 2004. We got sealed 12 May 2006 (had to wait for a sealing clearance). We are still going strong. Both are active in Church, we are brutally honest with each other. Which is something neither of us had in our previous marriages. He is 90% frugal, I am 99% frugal. He will eat anything I cook. Even when he doesn't like it. I have to ask him when I cook something new or different to find out if he likes it. Finally discovered that he DOES like coleslaw as long as it ISN'T made with the creamy (mayo) dressing. He likes SW Chipotle from Hidden Valley. He doesn't like tuna casserole, hamburger gravy or even country sausage gravy.  

He didn't like fish. In any way shape or form. Kept asking him questions and after a year found out that the fish wife #3 fed him made him go to the hospital ER. Same with chicken she cooked. Well, she was trying to poison him. He IS worth more $ dead than alive. 

I served him Atlantic Salmon - he ate 1/2 pound and wanted more. Fed him Ling Cod, Pollack, Real Cod and he was okay with them. They were bland he said. Marinated them in lemon herbs, baked, then served with lemon, herb butter sauce, tarter sauce and/or cocktail sauce. Liked the tarter (Skipper's brand). Flat will not even try the scallops I cook. Spent two weeks in the hospital with food poisoning after eating very bad scallops. After that incident, he took her off as beneficiary and put his son on. 

Now after 10 years of marriage, and not ONE of the meals I have fed him have made him ill, he trusts my home cooked chicken. I have a small Ferber Ware electric rotisserie that I can do a good sized chicken on. I wash and rinse well, thoroughly rub down with this rub:

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/chateaubriand-for-two-recipe.html?oc=linkback

He has taught me by his own example; patience, compassion to other and finding the good while having to shovel through a lot of bad. 

I am so grateful that he is my eternal companion. I am eternally grateful that he puts God at the head our our marriage.

I will share one other story about my wife and I. We grew up in different states that border each other. St. Louis was very close to where I grew up in Illinois. I use to ice skate and always skated on Speed Skates. My wife was a short track speed skater. I had several friends who skated competitively at speed skating. The local ice rink I skated at would hold Speed Skating Races. The club my wife skated with would often come to this ice rink and skate at these races. I did participate but because several of my friends did I would go and watch. My wife and I after talking about this have realized we were both I that building at the same time and I probally watched her skate and never knew it was my future wife out there. Lol!!! She was a very good speed skater. At the age of 15 she was the St Louis City champ and the Missouri State champ.

Interestingly, no mention of blind dates... that's how my own parents met.

One of my oldest friends (going back to kindergarten) was going to set me up with hubby about a year before we met. I remember the phone call where he was at her house with friends and she called me and asked both of us if we'd be willing to go out. We were, but for some reason things just never lined up and that fizzled out. We ended up meeting on our own, independent of her, and when she found out later that we were dating she was so excited! She made the connection for us. . . that we were the ones she'd tried to set up before. 

It's probably for the best. I needed some time to grow up a little and be ready for him.

Met my husband when we were 15 years old. He moved in right across from me. Fell in love quickly after we met.

When Marco and I were 17 years old we got married. But, due to being way to young, peer pressures, partying, and a lot of other issues we ended up getting divorced when we were about 21.

After that I met and married another man and was married for about 34 years to him. Marco remarried too. I since divorced and so was Marco.

I never forgot about him and always loved him. I actually looked for him over the years but could never find him or his family. About 5 years ago I started working on my genealogy and through searching I found his sisters on FB. I made contact with them, then Marco's mother, and then Marco.

As soon as we talked on the phone we knew we would be together again. We got married at his mother's home because we wanted her to be a part of the wedding and she is bedridden. Then a year later we were sealed in the Manti Temple.

It was awesome to see how we both grew in the Church and in our age.

Oh... btw, I asked him to marry me this time. hehe

p.s. The time on the image is wrong.

Mar2ndchallenge2-vi.jpg

post-49680-0-93985800-1423021056_thumb.p

Edited by AngelMarvel