Baby's first birthday.

Bini

For baby's first birthday, would you get something cute for the child, or something useful/helpful for the new mama? I am going to the party this weekend.

Recalling my daughter's first birthday, all gifts were for her, she got books and some age appropriate toys. I'm thinking the baby shower is a party for mama and first birthday's a party for the child... I'm leaning towards getting something for the child and not for mama.

As a teenager and young adult I was criticized for giving cash and gift certificates (precursors of gift cards) to people because they weren't personal and they revealed the dollar amount of my gift.  But I think times have changed a lot.  I don't get many gifts, but when I do I like gift cards the best, especially gift cards to restaurants.

You do know that a secondary market has opened up for gift cards, and you can often buy them at a slight discount?   

Pshaw. The kid won't remember any of this, and anything you get for him/her will be "clutter" in five years.

Get something for Mom, I say.

I disagree, but I assume you're referring to toys.

We started reading books to our daughter before she official turned one. The books she got for her first birthday we read and some we continue to read even though she's three now. Another cool gift was her first piggyback which we threw coins in for her but once she was two, she was excited to drop coins in herself, and now at three years old - it's her dollar store money stash! She loves us counting out her money for that.

No! Where do I go?

Google "discount gift cards."  There is a site called Gift Card Granny or something like that.  I think you can buy gift cards on eBay at a discount as well.

The discounts aren't huge, but if you're buying five $100 gift cards you might be able to get a deal.  I have absolutely no experience with these sites... so proceed with caution!

Then why would you get something for the mother?

Uhm... I thought she meant get something for the mother to help with the kid...

For example - when you're going to a baby shower, it is just as cool to give the mother a nursing bra to make nursing the kid easier as it is to give the baby a baby bottle.  Know what I mean?

There's nothing less cool about giving the baby a toy or an outfit at all... it's just that - lots of people give those kinds of gifts.

Give the baby the gift that you appreciated the most when it was given to your baby. 

I have done this with all gift giving. If it is an adult woman that I really don't know very well, then I will gift a book that I would enjoy reading, or do up a basket with pamper-the-mom items, or a cake pan with brownie mix, etc. When it is a childs birthday - then any learning type gift that is age appropriate. Coloring book and crayons, book that parent reads to child. 

For one baby shower I gave the mother a large sized book of nursery stories. The reason for the large book, the pictures were outstanding!! No one I know has had a 0-18 mo. old - so am out of the loop. Other than the soft books - dress yourself, etc. Soft sided building blocks. 

But I agree with all who say: It is the Child's birthday - not Mom's. Give the Mom a card, as it IS the 1 year anniversary of her giving birth. Starting at age 20, I sent my Mom a card thanking her for giving me life and loving me. I also sent one to Dad - he certainly helped!!! 

Ask mom what she/baby need.

I just had my little one's party and I told everyone we wanted diapers.  We already had more clothes and toys than we know what do with.  And gift cards aren't a bad idea either (helps with unforeseen baby expenses).

I asked her.

She wanted to be "surprised" and had no preference. 

Give the baby the gift that you appreciated the most when it was given to your baby. 

But the pediatrician had to give that sedative.   :P

I'd go for a stuffed animal or similar.  Both of mine had their favorites that they carried around for years, and IIRC, both were gifts.