Asking for a Priesthood Blessing - Illness

yoyoteacher

I'm pretty good at asking what seems like obvious questions here on the forums. I have been sick the last 48 hours, unable to keep food in my system for very long and now I am sporting a spiking fever to go with it. I am the only member in my family and attend a YSA Branch. Would it be out of the norm for me to approach my Branch President tomorrow and ask if I could have a priesthood blessing? Do I just lay it out there bluntly?

I've only had one before, and it was a father's blessing before the start of my senior year of school offered by my bishop (whose family I was close with and attended FHE with at the time; his children were receiving them and so he offered to me as well), but it was not something I asked for.

I'm still at the point where I'm trying to weigh my options of whether I should go to church tomorrow because of illness. It feels like it's where I should be, but at the same time I don't want to get the other YSAs sick in the process.

I'm pretty good at asking what seems like obvious questions here on the forums. I have been sick the last 48 hours, unable to keep food in my system for very long and now I am sporting a spiking fever to go with it. I am the only member in my family and attend a YSA Branch. Would it be out of the norm for me to approach my Branch President tomorrow and ask if I could have a priesthood blessing? Do I just lay it out there bluntly?

I've only had one before, and it was a father's blessing before the start of my senior year of school offered by my bishop (whose family I was close with and attended FHE with at the time; his children were receiving them and so he offered to me as well), but it was not something I asked for.

I'm still at the point where I'm trying to weigh my options of whether I should go to church tomorrow because of illness. It feels like it's where I should be, but at the same time I don't want to get the other YSAs sick in the process.

Feel free to ask the branch president, your home teachers, or anyone else.  If you don't feel up to going to church, you can call/email/facebook someone to let them know you need help.

If you have a fever you are contagious. Please don't spread this flu through your ward. My husband had it and my MIL ended up in the hospital with it...it's nothing to mess around with.

Yes... ask for a blessing, but ask over the phone and let the people know you are ill so they can take precautions when they arrive at your home.

Hope you feel better soon.

That's part of why I don't feel I should go, but I also am a 30 minute drive away from my branch, and I don't want to put anyone out by making them drive to me.

I'll figure it out.

You will put them out a whole lot more if you pass your illness on to others who may carry it home to their families. Sorry...but, I still think if you have a fever you are contagious and could pass them on. Stay home, get rest, and pray. This flu seems to last for 3 days of being really sick...then about a week or so of just not feeling well. It will pass.

Sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell - it can be really isolating not knowing where to get a blessing when you don't have family members in the church.  You are entitled to a priesthood blessing from your home teachers, Branch President or any other worthy priesthood holder.  Try and call your BP or one of his counselors, and see if someone can come and give you a blessing so you can stay home, recuperate and let your body and the spirit do the work of healing. They can take simple precautions if you are fluey (eg. don't shake hands or breathe too close).  Don't feel shy or like you are being too blunt - just ask - no-one will mind, in fact I'm sure someone will be glad to help you.  Hope you get well soon :)  

I agree with most of the advice already given. Ask your branch president, home teachers, friends in the branch, or any other Priesthood holder you feel comfortable with.

When I was a BYU student, I was once asked completely at random by a passing girl for a blessing. I gave it to her, because she was my sister and in need of a blessing, even though I never saw her before or later. That's an unusual situation and not one I would necessarily recommend, but it does illustrate the point that you can always ask a Priesthood holder for a blessing when you're in need.

I can tell my husband feels so good/honored when someone asks him for a blessing.  He isn't one of the leaders of our ward, just an average, doing his duty, sort of fellow.  I think of him as being the salt-of-the-earth type.  I appreciate that in him, and I'm so appreciative that he is worthy to give priesthood blessings.

I agree with what has been said.  Ask any worthy priesthood holder you know.  Most of them will be honored that you asked and happy to serve.

I'm going to throw this out there only because no one else has mentioned it. 

Have you been to the Dr.? 48hrs not being able to hold down anything and a strong fever? sounds like you need to see a Dr. 

I'm not saying don't get a blessing defiantly do, but do everything in your power first.

I'm going to throw this out there only because no one else has mentioned it. 

Have you been to the Dr.? 48hrs not being able to hold down anything and a strong fever? sounds like you need to see a Dr. 

I'm not saying don't get a blessing defiantly do, but do everything in your power first.

when i give priesthood (medical) blessings to my family and friends I seem to say things more along the lines of "...that you will be able to find the proper care/medicines to help rid yourself of this sickness..."

whether or not she receives a blessing im sure she will get the proper care from a doctor but the opportuniy to receive a blessing helps to excercise our faith and show God that we are humble toward him and acknowledge him as our creator.

some call it building up their karma points.

some call it the universe sending them good luck.

as members of the LDS church we know that God is the source of all things (not karma, not the universe) and whether God guides us to the proper doctor care or miracuously makes the sickness dissapear, it is his will that will be done and our responsibility to excercise the faith.

Guest MormonGator

Be blunt my friend. Just call the bishop and say "I'm not feeling good Bishop Jones, could you send someone over here please?" 

If that doesn't work, say "Hey, Missionaries! Get in gear and give me a blessing!"  :P

If that doesn't work, say "Hey, Missionaries! Get in gear and give me a blessing!"  :P

This; I've seen pairs of missionaries trying to "turf" each other when there was a request for a blessing in one pair's area and the others overheard it at the same time.  It's as good as free food at getting them to come over.

This; I've seen pairs of missionaries trying to "turf" each other when there was a request for a blessing in one pair's area and the others overheard it at the same time.  It's as good as free food at getting them to come over.

Funny how this pattern appears in so many unexpected places.

I knew a woman who had to take a cab to get to the airport to make an important flight.  She was afraid that the cab would be late, so she called two cab companies and requested one for 10:00am and another for 10:15am (or whatever).  Her thinking was that if the first cab was late she'd have the second cab to fall back on.

The first cab was a few minutes late, and the second cab was a few minutes early, and they both showed up at the same time to the woman's house.  It turns out that cab companies in that city had a nasty practice of eavesdropping on radio calls and poaching each other's customers, and the two cab drivers assumed that's what happened.  They got into a fistfight in the woman's front lawn and the police had to be called to calm things down... and the woman came close to missing her flight.

Lesson: be honest in your dealings with your fellow men.

Funny how this pattern appears in so many unexpected places.

It's still funny, though, watching two fairly nondescript cars pull up in front of a house and four guys in suits pile out running for the door.  Her neighbors must have thought it was an FBI raid.

My temperature spiked for only a four hour time and then was back down to a normal range. Sunday I was feeling really well in the morning and by the time I got to lunch before my 2:00 meeting for activities committee, I was so nauseated I could not sit in the same room with everyone else eating because the smells were so strong. I was lucky that there were still a few priesthood holders at church and they were willing to give me a blessing.

There was a slight "turf" battle of sorts because there were three of them, but I was very grateful. It's hard to ask, not being used to having those opportunities available to me from birth. It was humbling and amazing at the same time to know that my friends were there and willing to help me in my time of need. And the missionaries both where I live and in my YSA branch are sisters, so while that option would have been a great one to pursue, it wouldn't have worked out.

But thank you to everyone who had thoughts to share with me.