Buying temple garments

priesthoodpower

You don't need a current temple recommend in order to buy garments.  There are many members, for whatever reason, that don't have current temple recommends.  But, you must be an endowed member.

Edit:  Q & A from the LDS Store website:

Q. What information do I need to provide in order to purchase garments? A. You must be endowed or have a signed and activated temple recommend to receive your endowment before you may purchase garments. Your LDS Account will verify this information and permit you to purchase garments. Edited by classylady

Yeah the reasons are quite simple...  After we are endowed we are instructed to wear the garments.  This instruction remains in effect until a person goes through a Church disciplinary council and are instructed to no longer wear them (excommunicated)

Some members who are struggling choose the stop wearing them... That is their choice and not what they should be doing. Other members who are struggling (like yourself) try to continue obeying in the areas they are not struggling with.  The church encourages this (clearly) therefore all someone needs to do is show that they are a current member that has been endowed at some time in the past.

Therefore there is no requirement that you be a 'Current' recommend holder to buy replacement garments.

Wow, thank you guys. I am so glad that I clicked on this link! My husband and I are working at getting back into regular attendance and tithing, something we have been terrible about doing for almost three years. We have needed new garments for quite some time but I always assumed that a recommend was necessary - the last time we went to a distribution center to buy some we needed to show our recommends. I am going to order some replacements immediately.

If I remember correctly the reason for showing your recommend in the Distribution Centers is a form of security to make sure only endowed members are buying them which will hopefully stop / slow down those who try to get hold of the garments to mock them or the Church.

If I remember correctly the reason for showing your recommend in the Distribution Centers is a form of security to make sure only endowed members are buying them which will hopefully stop / slow down those who try to get hold of the garments to mock them or the Church.

When a person physically shows up (vs on-line) asking for a Recommend is a very handy short cut.  The majority of the customers will have a current one.  And that is a very simple way for them to do the security/make sure the person should have them check.

Most members (as shown in this thread) have no reason to know that there is any other way.  Which explains why a member that for whatever reason might not have a current recommend, could think they can not get them anymore.