Are women's TR questions different?

NightSG

I really have to wonder if they get asked "are you completely honest except when dealing with potential dates?"

The number of "temple worthy" women who have flat out lied to get out of a date, and even bragged about it is, frankly, disturbing.  Especially when the same ones claim they just can't find a guy who honors his Priesthood fully enough to be worthy of their time.

On the bright side, you get to see that side of them before you go and do something like marry them.

I'd say there are plenty of guys who lie to get a kiss or more, too.

Edited by Eowyn

A long time ago a lady I was dating called me and left a message claiming she was so sick she couldn't get out of bed.  In the background I clearly heard clinking sounds from weight machines at a gym. 

She actually had to live at a gym? The poor woman.

A long time ago a lady I was dating called me and left a message claiming she was so sick she couldn't get out of bed.  In the background I clearly heard clinking sounds from weight machines at a gym. 

Oh sad.

Except for the part that asks if you attend your Priesthood meetings.  This came up in my renewal interview just a few months ago.

And that isn't even one of the questions So sounds like he threw that part in.

The question is:

1. Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

Women have a very difficult time turning down a date.  Instead, they will make up excuses.  I know men want an honest rejection such as, "I'm not interested in dating you." or "No, thank you." But, women find that very rude and uncomfortable.  So, instead they will say things such as, "Oh, I can't. I'm going to my sister's that night." or "I can't make our date tonight...something has come up (sick, unexpected plans)."  

If a woman is interested in dating you, she will usually offer something else such as, "I can't that night, but what about the next night?"  or "I can't bowl, but I would love to go miniature golfing."

Women have a very difficult time turning down a date.  Instead, they will make up excuses.  I know men want an honest rejection such as, "I'm not interested in dating you." or "No, thank you." But, women find that very rude and uncomfortable.  So, instead they will say things such as, "Oh, I can't. I'm going to my sister's that night." or "I can't make our date tonight...something has come up (sick, unexpected plans)."  

Maybe everybody should be made to sit through Gospel Principles again every fifth year or something, because the chapter on honesty makes it pretty clear that that's not a justification for lying.  As for comfort, they could take a minute to consider how uncomfortable it is for the men to push past the fear of rejection and ask in the first place.

It's even worse coming from the ones who complain on FB that they never get asked out, then reject any guy who asks.  One of them even threw a temper tantrum when a guy (about 5 days after the original post) commented that he'd just asked and she turned him down, which was followed by at least five more saying "yeah, I asked her a couple days ago and she gave me a list of excuses too."

Just out of curiosity, do LDS YSA wards have anything like Sadie Hawkins dances, or is that contrary to LDS teachings?

In my younger years I attended a Baptist church.  One year my singles class decided to throw a Sadie Hawkins dance.  When the church leadership found out about it, they dropped a huge guillotine blade on the idea so fast that our ears rang for days.  That was followed by a bitter and public denunciation of the leaders of our class, who were held up as hooligans trying to overthrow the Biblical commandment that women remain subject to men.  That always struck me as just downright silly, but I must confess that in the moments before the dance was cancelled I found myself dreading the whole idea and wondering how I could possibly say "no" to some of the women in the class, many of whom in retrospect would have made terrific spouses.

Just out of curiosity, do LDS YSA wards have anything like Sadie Hawkins dances, or is that contrary to LDS teachings?

Men and women dancing together would apparently cause the Church to implode.  Couples' songs are kept to a bare minimum at any dance.

In my younger years I attended a Baptist church.  One year my singles class decided to throw a Sadie Hawkins dance.  When the church leadership found out about it, they dropped a huge guillotine blade on the idea so fast that our ears rang for days.  That was followed by a bitter and public denunciation of the leaders of our class, who were held up as hooligans trying to overthrow the Biblical commandment that women remain subject to men.  That always struck me as just downright silly, but I must confess that in the moments before the dance was cancelled I found myself dreading the whole idea and wondering how I could possibly say "no" to some of the women in the class, many of whom in retrospect would have made terrific spouses.

FOOTLOOSE!

NightSG: I am sorry to be the one to make this suggestion - but there is an old definition of insanity as doing the same thing over and over and over again - expecting that eventually the results will be different.  Knowing nothing about the current dating climate or your individual circumstance may I suggest that you look at this as a learning opportunity.  Think about making some changes to yourself; either spiritually or physically (or both).  Please do not think of this as rude because I honestly do not know enough about what is going on - Just that I believe in making changes when what is going on is not working and the fact that the only changes that you can really make have to do with yourself and not others.

NightSG: I am sorry to be the one to make this suggestion - but there is an old definition of insanity as doing the same thing over and over and over again - expecting that eventually the results will be different.  Knowing nothing about the current dating climate or your individual circumstance may I suggest that you look at this as a learning opportunity.  Think about making some changes to yourself; either spiritually or physically (or both).  Please do not think of this as rude because I honestly do not know enough about what is going on - Just that I believe in making changes when what is going on is not working and the fact that the only changes that you can really make have to do with yourself and not others.

The only change left to make at this point is to give up hope of an eternal marriage and look for a woman outside the Church.  

Maybe everybody should be made to sit through Gospel Principles again every fifth year or something, because the chapter on honesty makes it pretty clear that that's not a justification for lying.  As for comfort, they could take a minute to consider how uncomfortable it is for the men to push past the fear of rejection and ask in the first place.

From my experience during my dating years, Beefche nailed it on the head.  I didn't want to hurt the young man's feelings, so I would think of some excuse to not go out with him.  In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best way to go about it.  But, it had been ingrained in me while growing up to always be nice.  Don't be rude.  Don't hurt someone's feelings.  In my mind, those "sins" were just as bad, if not worse than telling a small lie.

The only change left to make at this point is to give up hope of an eternal marriage and look for a woman outside the Church.  

Nonsense. There are plenty of fish inside the church. Try a different pond.

Nonsense. There are plenty of fish inside the church. Try a different pond.

I'm already driving up to 2.5 hours each way for the activities.  Moving out of the immediate area would mean I might be able to see my kids for an hour or two a month, so that's not an option.

I'm on board with this. It isn't easy to do but changing something that increases your selfconfidence and how you portray yourself to others. Obviously, I don't know you, but I would tell anyone this... take some college courses, lose weight, change of hair style, go clothes shopping, learn a language, remodel something inside or outside the house...the list is endless. All these things help you change as a person and people see that. They really do. It will help with the dates if not the marriage part.

And...why not date outside of the Church?  You are a missionary, aren't you? :)

I think I've quoted this on these forums before, but it seems apropos here:

As you know if you have ever been young, dating is mostly a colossal waste of time. Sure, it can be fun – most wastes of time are – but ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, the point of dating is to get married, and you are obviously not going to marry every person you date, unless you are from Manti. Which means that if you’re thinking of time and energy, dating is wasteful and imprudent.

It costs money, too. Oh sure, girls will insist that the best dates are inexpensive ones, and that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to have fun, but you must bear in mind that they are lying.

The problem with dating, if you’re a guy, is that you are basically spending money just to find out whether or not a girl likes you. It’s like going to an audition, except you have to pay the casting director just for the privilege of being there. In the real world, if a girl doesn’t like you, she’ll say no when you ask her out. Here, girls never say no when you ask them out, because they’ve been taught to say no to a long, long list of various suggestions and propositions, but to NEVER refuse a potential date, as long as he’s LDS. It doesn’t matter if he has the personality of a towel. It doesn’t matter if he has B.O. so powerful it causes blistering around the eyes and mouths of bystanders. It doesn’t matter if he’s so unattractive he spends most evenings fleeing from a mob of angry townspeople who are carrying torches and shouting “Kill the monster!” You at least agree to go on one date with him, just to be “nice.” I don’t know where this concept of blind, self-sacrificing niceness was taught, but I assume it was during Mutual, while the boys were out on those Nazi death march Boy Scout activities, learning practical skills like rebellion against the church, and swearing.

I believe I speak for all guys when I say that if you don’t want to go on a date with us, just say so! You can still be nice about it. There ARE polite ways of saying “No, thank you.” (For example: “No, thank you.”)

But I know this will not happen, so I have a revolutionary idea to reform dating. Here’s how it works: A guy goes up to a girl and hands her $20 and says, “Here’s $20. Do you like me?” If she says yes, he takes the money back and takes her out on a date. If she says no, he says, “The money is yours to keep; thanks for playing,” and he moves on to another girl. This way, a guy can go on several “dates” in one night, whittle down the list of possibilities, and, in record time, either get married or determine once and for all that no one wants to marry him.

Efficiency! Thank you and good night.