SQL database UI

MarginOfError

Anyone here familiar with mySQL and front end programs?  I'd like to set up a mySQL database to help manage my finances.  Ultimately, I'd like to have a set up where I or my spouse could connect to a query that shows the balance of our budgets on a smart phone to know how much is available.

Any suggestions on what front end programs are available?

Where is your Database hosted? I'd probably just google how to write a very basic HTML/PHP program to query the DB and upload it to the same server.

Edit: PM me if you want help with this. It should be pretty simple.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I work with relational databases so much it is just what I'm comfortable with.  But I'm an analyst and so I'm not all that familiar with building the tables and the front end to do the data entry.  I realize spreadsheets are the usual tool for this, and I used to do it in Microsoft Access, but I don't really want to use proprietary software.  I'd much rather do something open source.

Ultimately, all I want is for my spouse to be able to see the balance in each budget category any time she is out.  If I had the discipline to enter the expenses on a regular basis, it would also help me track how much we spend in certain categories and help me a little at tax time if I can look up certain deductible expenses.

At the moment, I don't have a database at all.  I was thinking of using mySQL and they seem to have downloads available to manage the tables.  All I would need is a convenient front end and a way to push the balances up to a place where we can access them from the Web.  I figured I'd probably host the database on my PC rather than putting all my financial information accessible from the internet.

But now that TFP has made me think about, I don't really need a lot of protections on the data as long as all I'm putting up are my expenditures.  If someone hacks into my database and sees how much I make and how much I spend, who cares?  As long as my account numbers aren't included in the database (and I don't intend for them to be), then the information is pretty useless.

I don't really need a lot of protections on the data as long as all I'm putting up are my expenditures.  If someone hacks into my database and sees how much I make and how much I spend, who cares?  As long as my account numbers aren't included in the database (and I don't intend for them to be), then the information is pretty useless.

I wouldn't say this if there was going to be any truly private info therein, but....  Security through obscurity. Who's going to hack a random database with some random meaningless numbers on it? :)

If you use a service (you may already be well aware of this...but...) like HostGator or GoDaddy, they have the MySQL database and support PHP directly without doing much of anything. phpMyAdmin will even generate PHP code to an extent. The obvious benefit of going this route is that the support for these things is already built in to them. No installing stacks or anything. And they're quite cheap (under $10 a month usually) for the most part. Hard to beat for ease of setting up if you're not super concerned about security, and don't have a problem with the monthly cost and/or the initial set up costs (purchasing a domain name, etc.). Of course you also get server space (unlimited for some) for hosting websites, ftp, and emails...if any of that matters to you.

I use Digital Ocean and am very happy with them.  For $5 a month ($6 if you want backups, I think) you can provision a virtual private server with its own IP and then with one click install a LAMP stack.  Last year I replaced all the servers in my house with VPSs in the cloud, and I couldn't be happier.

However, using MySQL for household finances IMHO is like using an Army tank to deliver newspapers.  You can certainly do it if you really want to, but there are simpler solutions... like buying an app.

And far be it from me to challenge anything anatess says, but C++ is not your friend here. Even Java would be nuts unless you're totally fluent in Java and can code it in your sleep.  PHP, Python are good... yes, I know, people will scornfully call you a script kiddie, but you'll be able to build something useful in much less time.

Happy coding.

Edited by PolarVortex

I just hired a personal assistant who handles all that. Well, the PA consults with the tax advisers and other finance professionals, and then either does my shopping for me or has it delivered or something. (how do you actually do it? you know what, nevermind. I don't really care. Keep writing).

My PA also posts on the Internet for me via dictation. It's a pretty sweet gig and I highly recommend it. Of course, you have to get someone you can really trust.

I'm a smelly idiot.

I just hired a personal assistant who handles all that. Well, the PA consults with the tax advisers and other finance professionals, and then either does my shopping for me or has it delivered or something. (how do you actually do it? you know what, nevermind. I don't really care. Keep writing).

My PA also posts on the Internet for me via dictation. It's a pretty sweet gig and I highly recommend it. Of course, you have to get someone you can really trust.

I'm a smelly idiot.

Hmmm... just like Thurston Howell, III, whose butler used to take the naughty boy Thurston's spankings for him?