What is the Advantage?

John Prather

jman, on 09 Mar 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

The problem with most of these answers is that it's all the personal interpretation of the scriptures and the words of the leaders of the church who by all rights are not going to say anything contrary to the established 'party line'.

How else do you get answers,  its through the spirit (I guess you are calling this personal interpretation)  and by the words of the Prophets (which is really just the scriptures again).     I wouldn't expect them to contradict.  That is kind of the mean of truth. 

The truth of the matter is, no one knows what happens in the after life, there is no proof of any of this. None, nada, zilch. It falls on your faith and you either have that or you don't.

Not sure what kind of proof you would need.  D&C 76  and D&C 138

The truth is you can say that about any Religion,  you can say that about God and Jesus Christ.     Thats the point of the scriptures,  Alma 32.   You hear or read some principle/commandment.   You then apply that to your life and see what the results are.   When that principle is proven to work in your life, you then know that its true.   You then move to the next thing. 

Then you have to decide if you want to find the faith.

That is true,  only you can decide. 

Then you must establish how you want to live to ensure the outcome you have the faith to believe will happen.

This is called Hope.   Its a central part of Faith.   Hoping for the future that we don't complete see.  

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/the-infinite-power-of-hope?lang=eng

It's pretty simple really. I don't have that faith, tried to get it, couldn't, and I've moved on.

How did you try?  What did you do?   How do you know you don't have it?

The scriptures feel dead to me, inert, and filled with contrary ideas, ways of doing things and a ton of double speak.

How so,  do you have an example?  

They've been perverted for the use of man to keep those who are of a lesser status down. 

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The scriptures are filled with people of "lesser status"   overcoming their situation by turning to Christ and his Atonement which helps heal, lift and strength us.     Thats kind of point of Christ's Grace.   

It seems to me, you have been missing what the Gospel really is?  

Now that may sound negative but to me it's not, I accept that idea and I move on. I try to live my life the best way I can, I support my wife who is raising our children in the church and I am willing to let the chips fall where they may. I love, I live, and I help where I can.

I guess you know the direction you are going in.  

When is the last time you have Read the Book of Mormon?    I don't know how you can not read it, and at least to some degree know that our Heavenly Father (Dad)  is watching over us, or at least Nephi.    

I also would suggest you read the Joseph Smith Story again  https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1?lang=eng    

I would also suggest you express these views in prayer to your Heavenly Father.   Yes Prayer takes faith.  

This is the joy of the Gospel or more the Plan of Salvation.   Heavenly Father gave us our agency to Grow as close to him and his Son as we choose too.  If we want to take the steps to follow the prophets we can have that Joy.

The problem with most of these answers is that it's all the personal interpretation of the scriptures and the words of the leaders of the church who by all rights are not going to say anything contrary to the established 'party line'.

How else do you get answers,  its through the spirit (I guess you are calling this personal interpretation)  and by the words of the Prophets (which is really just the scriptures again).     I wouldn't expect them to contradict.  That is kind of the mean of truth. 

The truth of the matter is, no one knows what happens in the after life, there is no proof of any of this. None, nada, zilch. It falls on your faith and you either have that or you don't.

Not sure what kind of proof you would need.  D&C 76  and D&C 138

The truth is you can say that about any Religion,  you can say that about God and Jesus Christ.     Thats the point of the scriptures,  Alma 32.   You hear or read some principle/commandment.   You then apply that to your life and see what the results are.   When that principle is proven to work in your life, you then know that its true.   You then move to the next thing. 

Then you have to decide if you want to find the faith.

That is true,  only you can decide. 

Then you must establish how you want to live to ensure the outcome you have the faith to believe will happen.

This is called Hope.   Its a central part of Faith.   Hoping for the future that we don't complete see.  

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/the-infinite-power-of-hope?lang=eng

It's pretty simple really. I don't have that faith, tried to get it, couldn't, and I've moved on.

How did you try?  What did you do?   How do you know you don't have it?

The scriptures feel dead to me, inert, and filled with contrary ideas, ways of doing things and a ton of double speak.

How so,  do you have an example?  

They've been perverted for the use of man to keep those who are of a lesser status down. 

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The scriptures are filled with people of "lesser status"   overcoming their situation by turning to Christ and his Atonement which helps heal, lift and strength us.     Thats kind of point of Christ's Grace.   

It seems to me, you have been missing what the Gospel really is?  

Now that may sound negative but to me it's not, I accept that idea and I move on. I try to live my life the best way I can, I support my wife who is raising our children in the church and I am willing to let the chips fall where they may. I love, I live, and I help where I can.

I guess you know the direction you are going in.  

When is the last time you have Read the Book of Mormon?    I don't know how you can not read it, and at least to some degree know that our Heavenly Father (Dad)  is watching over us, or at least Nephi.    

I also would suggest you read the Joseph Smith Story again  https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1?lang=eng    

I would also suggest you express these views in prayer to your Heavenly Father.   Yes Prayer takes faith.  

This is the joy of the Gospel or more the Plan of Salvation.   Heavenly Father gave us our agency to Grow as close to him and his Son as we choose too.  If we want to take the steps to follow the prophets we can have that Joy.

And for me, the greatest blessing of belonging to this church is the comfort of knowing the Plan of Salvation.  I know where I have come from, I know why I am here, and I know where I am going after death.  For those who have lost a loved one to death, that is perhaps the greatest comfort of all.  I know I will see my deceased loved ones again.  And, I know that we won't just be some sort of nebulous being sitting on a cloud playing a harp after death.  I know that husband and wife can be eternal.  This brings me such comfort and joy.  I would not trade that knowledge for anything!!!

It seems to me these blessings come not from membership of the Church per se, but from an assurance that these promises are true. If you don't believe then membership of the LDS (or any other) church is nothing more than a piece of paper.

• 3 weeks later...

The real gospel is not about following things that we should do and being stressed.  Following the commandments brings happiness, in fact it is the only way to reach true and lasting happiness.  Mosiah 2:41 is a great scripture about this: And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.  I have always found that following the commandments makes me happier.  When I finally give up a bad habit, I feel much better and the Spirit comes much stronger.  I have worked as a counselor with a lot of people that believe drugs and alcohol bring happiness, and I can tell you that they really aren't happy and are often very stressed.  They may laugh and smile at jokes, but often they need their next fix to cover up what they are unhappy about.  This gospel makes our lives better than it would ever be otherwise.

In the 76th Section of the D&C, speaking of those that will inherit the Terrestrial Kingdom (as opposed to the Celestial Kingdom), verse 74 says these are they "Who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh, but afterwards received it."  My own understanding of this is that it refers to those that had the opportunity to accept it in mortality but did not.  This does not refer to those who did not have the opportunity to accept or reject the gospel.  Does this answer your question?

If God is one, and is my Creator--THE Creator--then I will worship Him.  He is good, He loves me--I will love Him back.  I will do what He wants me to do.  If I am asked, "To what advantage?" my response is to cut to the chase.  "What if God is real--and He really cares?"  If I believe that, then the question of advantage becomes meaningless.  I will not ask my God to what advantage it is that I serve Him.  If He wishes to tell me, then I will know.

I am curious to know what is the advantage of being a member of the Church in this life? It would seem to be a less stressful mortal existence if you lived your earthly life without knowing the Gospel and worrying about following the commandments then dying and have it revealed to you without the physical temptations and mortal distractions. Sure, you'll be held accountable for what you do know generally, what light and knowledge and whatnot you do hold but for the most part you can say, "Hey, I didn't know." Plus, if you die young, all the better. It just seems the longer in life you live as a member the more opportunity you have to really screw up and suffer the Wrath of 'Dad' later on. Not quite seeing the advantage.

To fulfill God's plan, "Men are that they might have joy" and then "...gain intelligence that it will rise with us". Not to mention to gain the ultimate desire God wants for us "salvation", that is his hope for us all, Salvation to be in his presence...with our families with us all. Also, the same spirit that rises with us, one that wants it the easy way. When it comes to Celestial Kingdom, you have to want it bad...not easy. Edited by Pa Pa

You need to make friends with Heavenly Father. He is available 24/7 to provide guidance and heavenly assistance. He can help you chose the right spouse, the right career, the right school for your kids. You can pray before work to help you concentrate and for protection from politics at work. He can help you get along with difficult relatives and avoid bad financial decisions and will even help you avoid getting food poisoning from picking the wrong restaurant. You are living below your privileges. The Lord of the universe is waiting to help you live your life. His arm is out stretched to you. I do not know if you have kids but He loves you more than you love your kids, your spouse, your best friend. Take his hand and live your life with his assistance. You can pull your load with a friend beside you sharing the burden. Let Him help. He loves you.

Edited by Sunday21