Muslims safer in America than in most Muslim-majority nations

prisonchaplain

Apparently the 3 Muslims that were killed in North Carolina, in part over a parking dispute, died at the hands of a progressive Atheist.  There was a lot of talk about this being a hate crime--an anti-Muslim murder.  Now that the killer is identified as liberal, there is nothing but crickets from most mainstream news outlets.  THOUGHTS?

http://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2015/02/16/liberal-militant-atheist-murders-muslims-conservative-christians-clearly-to-blame-n1957247/page/full

I could let it go at that...except there's been this narrative that conservative Christians are chomping at the bit to oppress Muslims, and that it's the enlightened secular liberals who are peaceful, reasonable, and tolerant.  Supposedly, it was family members of the victim who insisted this was an anti-Muslim killing.  Only when the killer turned out to be a secularist himself did the mainstream media grow silent.  Is it "stirring the pot" to occasionally point out that this particular stick and stone were poorly aimed?

For an example of the initial "This was an anti-Muslim hate crime" coverage, see this CNN article:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/13/living/muslims-chapel-hill-hate-crime/index.html

Edited by prisonchaplain

Apparently the 3 Muslims that were killed in North Carolina, in part over a parking dispute, died at the hands of a progressive Atheist.  There was a lot of talk about this being a hate crime--an anti-Muslim murder.  Now that the killer is identified as liberal, there is nothing but crickets from most mainstream news outlets.  THOUGHTS?

http://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2015/02/16/liberal-militant-atheist-murders-muslims-conservative-christians-clearly-to-blame-n1957247/page/full

surprise surprise.

I guess the C word is a little too close to the G word.... but in his defense he could argue that he was trying to keep hate reprisal actions from occuring in america.

I'm not sure that would fly... Americans don't make a habit of killing Muslims because they killed Christians.

Edited by anatess

I'm not sure that would fly... Americans don't make a habit of killing Muslims because they killed Christians.

probably not enough to use that excuse.... but they still do brain dead stupid things (for example that one minister a few years back that decided to host a public Qu'ran burning session)... which in turn gets onto national news, which in turn gets seen by terrorists, which in turn then gets used as propaganda and recruiting which in turn brings more people into the conflict which in turn harms more people.

Just saying they could use that excuse with some justification. (I don't think it's good enough of one personally).

probably not enough to use that excuse.... but they still do brain dead stupid things (for example that one minister a few years back that decided to host a public Qu'ran burning session)... which in turn gets onto national news, which in turn gets seen by terrorists, which in turn then gets used as propaganda and recruiting which in turn brings more people into the conflict which in turn harms more people.

Just saying they could use that excuse with some justification. (I don't think it's good enough of one personally).

But that only flies if the action (not identifying the objective of the terrorists accurately) serves a greater purpose (preventing propaganda) than it's consequences (unable to bring nations together to come up with the best solution to a correctly identified problem).

Because, if you really think about it - the number of people joining ISIS wasn't smaller because the pastor didn't burn a Q'uran... or we released prisoners from Gitmo... or the President refused to address religion.

Guest MormonGator

Almost all people are much more safe in America than any other country. That people don't realize it shows how blind/ungrateful or ignorant they are. America is a wonderful country. 

Almost all people are much more safe in America than any other country. That people don't realize it shows how blind/ungrateful or ignorant they are. America is a wonderful country.

I'm not going to disagree with the latter claim, but I'm curious as to whether you have any reputable statistics to back up the former claim regarding safety, or clarify what you meant by "almost all"?

Edited by Mahone

I'm not going to disagree with the latter claim, but I'm curious as to whether you have any reputable statistics to back up the former claim regarding safety, or clarify what you meant by "almost all"?

I'm not MormonGator but just want to butt in on this one...

USA is only 101 out of 160 in the Global Peace Index of 2014.  The top 20 is in Europe.  I think Denmark was #1.  Within the USA, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Utah are the most peaceful.

But the "illusion of safety" is high in the USA because of the general cultural adherence to the American Constitution.  Saudi Arabia for example is in the top 50 of the GPI... but Saudi Arabia doesn't have a high "illusion of safety" because safety is brought about by "fear".

By now I'm sure you know that Ed Henry called the WH press secretary on the carpet for this. It was followed by the usually waffling. 

ED HENRY, FOX NEWS: In your answer to Kristen [Welker]'s question about 21 Christians being killed this weekend you said the president put out a strong statement this week.

The statement on Sunday was from you. It said statement by the press secretary, we should be clear it was not a statement from the president. 

JOSH EARNEST, WHITE HOUSE: Yeah, I misspoke.

HENRY: Okay, I just want to be clear.

And in that statement -- that's what I want to ask you because you put it out under your name -- you talked about the murder of 21 citizens and I'm curious why didn't you mention it was 21 Christians killed by Muslims? Is that relevant? 

EARNEST: It sure is because the ISIL -- the ISIL extremists who carried out this attack indicated that the reason they were killing them wasn't just because they were Egyptian but also because they were Christian. And I think the president has been very clear that it is -- you know, the president talked about this actually in his prayer breakfast speech that he gave earlier this month. That there's a responsibility of people of all faiths to stand up and speak out when individuals try to use faith and distort faith to try to justify the act of violence. 

HENRY: Given that then why were you not clear on Sunday? Why not under your name? Why didn't you say 21 Christians were killed?

EARNEST: Well, Ed, I try to be clear here. I can't account for that specific line in the statement but we have been clear there that we condemn this murder. The president was clear in the op-ed that was published today and on a variety of occasions I think I have been pretty clear here that we condemn the outrageous killing of these Egyptian citizens because of their Christian faith. 

HENRY: Two days earlier on the 13th you put out a statement under the president's name about the tragic deaths of the three Muslim students at the University of North Carolina and in there the president said, "no one in the United States of America should ever be targeted because of who they are and what they look like or how they worship." 

Why was their Muslim faith relevant in that statement?

EARNEST: Well, Ed, I think that as we've indicated the situation in North Carolina is still under investigation. And local law enforcement authorities there are trying to determine exactly what the motivation of the individual that has been charged with this crime was. And so that's still under investigation. 

But what is clear is that there is this principle that exists regardless of the faith of the individual in question that people should not be targeted because of their religion and what they look like or what their last name is or how they worshiped. That is true --

HENRY: Is there any evidence in the North Carolina case that they were targeted because they were Muslims? 

EARNEST: This is still something that's under --

HENRY: They said it was over a parking space. We don't know. It's a local investigation right now, as you've said. So why was their faith invoked in the president's statement?

EARNEST: Well, Ed, I think it is important for the president in this case as he has in many others to articulate a pretty clear principle and I think that it's the kind of principle that the vast majority of Americans should be able to support. Which is that people should not regardless of their faith be targeted because of what their last name is, what they look like or how they worship. 

HENRY: We don't know that they were targeted because of their last name or their faith. 

EARNEST: So I guess, Ed, what you can -- and I think that is acknowledged in the statement as well. And we have also acknowledge this is an issue that's under investigation in North Carolina. But I think as a principle, this is the kind of thing that we should all be able to agree with.

I've always been puzzled why liberals who claim to value human rights and freedom are so antagonistic regarding Christianity yet turn a blind eye to the atrocities of Islam. 

I found this article and was wondering what you think. For me it almost was a relief, because I've never been able to understand it.

Liberalism is an essentially secular movement that began within Christian culture. (In Worshipping the State, I trace it all the way back to Machiavelli in the early 1500s.) Note the two italicized aspects: secularand within.

As secular, liberalism understood itself as embracing this world as the highest good, advocating a self-conscious return to ancient pagan this-worldliness. But this embrace took place within a Christianized culture. Consequently liberalism tended to define itself directly against that which it was (in its own particular historical context) rejecting.

Modern liberalism thereby developed with a deep antagonism toward Christianity, rather than religion in general. It was culturally powerful Christianity that stood in the way of liberal secular progress in the West—not Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, Druidism, etc.

http://humanevents.com/2013/04/25/liberalism-and-islam/

By now I'm sure you know that Ed Henry called the WH press secretary on the carpet for this. It was followed by the usually waffling. 

I've always been puzzled why liberals who claim to value human rights and freedom are so antagonistic regarding Christianity yet turn a blind eye to the atrocities of Islam. 

I found this article and was wondering what you think. For me it almost was a relief, because I've never been able to understand it.

possibly one reason could be that the muslim faith is still fairly exotic in many places in the US, as well as more recent than Christianity on its national level. just about everywhere you go someone around the corner is Christian or claims to be. Christianity is pretty interwoven with the US on many levels and throughout it's history whereas most other faiths don't have as quite a big influence on it (yet).

its easier to dis on someone you "know" (or think you know) better than someone you don't.

Edited by Blackmarch

BTW, if my title for this string is true--that Muslims are safer in "Christian America," than they are in most Muslim-majority countries, that is something we should foster and continue.  I get more than a little nervous when some of my Christian brothers/sisters want to say, "Islam is a violent religion."  I hate the moral equivalency that the left seems to engage in, but Islam, at its best, is not inherently terrorist.  Religion (not God--God is good) can be used by great men to inspire greatness.  It can be used by evil men to inspire great evil.  Let's see to it that the Christianity of this era migrates towards the greatness.

There is no question Muslims in America are safer than those in Muslim majority countries. My comment is a little off topic but related to the idea of tolerance and safely. The reality is, that how unsafe non-muslims are in areas that are prodomintly muslim. For example, I am sure everyone has seen those moronic bumper stickers "coexist," well, an artist in France was painting (Graffiti) the word "coexist" on a wall and was beaten up be a few muslims.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2947822/Graffiti-artist-attacked-gang-Paris-ghetto-drawing-word-coexist-Christian-Muslim-Jewish-symbols.html

Just last week, a Jewish man conducted an experiment where he walked around Paris in areas dominated but Muslims for 10 hours, and the way he was treated speaks volumes about the tolerance of this culture. How many comments would a jew in America receive if he walked around major U.S. City for 10 yours. 

Keep in mind, these are just two examples that came to my mind, AND that just happened within the last two weeks. 

Guest MormonGator

There is no question Muslims in America are safer than those in Muslim majority countries. My comment is a little off topic but related to the idea of tolerance and safely. The reality is, that how unsafe non-muslims are in areas that are prodomintly muslim. For example, I am sure everyone has seen those moronic bumper stickers "coexist," well, an artist in France was painting (Graffiti) the word "coexist" on a wall and was beaten up be a few muslims.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2947822/Graffiti-artist-attacked-gang-Paris-ghetto-drawing-word-coexist-Christian-Muslim-Jewish-symbols.html

Just last week, a Jewish man conducted an experiment where he walked around Paris in areas dominated but Muslims for 10 hours, and the way he was treated speaks volumes about the tolerance of this culture. How many comments would a jew in America receive if he walked around major U.S. City for 10 yours. 

Keep in mind, these are just two examples that came to my mind, AND that just happened within the last two weeks. 

Remember that video where a woman walked through NYC and "recorded all the catcalls" she received?

Remember both that video and this one are meant to make a point. They don't show the 99% of men/muslims who don't catcall or make rude comments. 

200,000 were killed during the Crusades, over a 200 year period.

Roughly 14,000 were killed by Islamic terrorists last year.

82,000,000 were killed by purges and mass government mis-management in Atheist China, Russia, and Cambodia between the time of the Bolshevik Revolution and the killing fields of Pol Pot's regime.

Key point:  You don't need a god to inspire people to kill, or allow mass dying.

Guest MormonGator

Key point:  You don't need a god to inspire people to kill, or allow mass dying.

Exactly! So many people think they are "smart" or "deep" because they say "Religion starts wars". It very well might, but atheism doesn't exactly promote love and peace when it's connected to the state. 

• 4 weeks later...

The guy in Paris wasn't beaten up by Muslims at all, I don't know where you got that idea from.