To Latter Days Guy

Capitalist_Oinker

It's time for another mea culpa by yours truly. 

The "Gun Opinion" thread was closed because of me and I don't blame Pam in the least. My last post to you was uncalled for. I tell myself over and over again that I can disagree with someone without being disagreeable, and then I turn right around and prove that I didn't hear a word I said.

I apologize for the tone and content of my post. 

I mean it.

From the heart. 

It's time for another mea culpa by yours truly. 

The "Gun Opinion" thread was closed because of me and I don't blame Pam in the least. My last post to you was uncalled for. I tell myself over and over again that I can disagree with someone without being disagreeable, and then I turn right around and prove that I didn't hear a word I said.

I apologize for the tone and content of my post. 

I mean it.

From the heart. 

Thanks for that!  We can all get a bit hot under the collar when we discuss something that we hold dear to us. Personally I don't often take things to heart or get upset over what people post in some discussion on an internet forum, though I will to my detriment take an argument to far some times.  This happened in the gun thread where I let my own personal feelings and cultural view take precedent over what is in the US a completely lawful thing to do, own a gun.  I never intended to portray anyone as being morally wrong, or less righteous because they choose to exercise their legal right to own a firearm. I apologise if that is the impression that I gave and hope that we as a group can move beyond any offence we may have felt we have had from that particular thread.

LDG

I read most of the closed thread this morning. It seems to me as if it was a debate about American lives being lost or damaged by the use and misuse by Americans of American owned, and in some cases, American produced guns, some of which were being operated in accordance with American laws and some of which were not. Its also American police, insurance companies, medical workers and public officers who have to fix up the messes. So, not being American, I had no intention of joining the thread and 'm not going to comment any further on it. 

For an Australian perspective see this article from an October 2012 edition of the Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/08/02/did-gun-control-work-in-australia/ and the Community and Government reaction section of this article from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_%28Australia%29#Community_and_government_reaction about the biggest mass shooting in Australia's history.  

For anybody's interest, the Upper House of the New South Wales legislature has had two or three Representatives from the Shooters and Fishers party in it for about the last five years and about 6 weeks ago, for the first time, one or two representatives from the Shooters and Fisher's party were elected to the Victorian Upper House. Along with a bunch of other Independents and minor parties, (including one Representative from the Sex Party) they hold the balance of power in the Upper House. I don't follow Victorian politics too closely, but I believe the Representatives from the Hunters and Fishers party still haven't worked out what to do with the new-found and unexpected political power. 

Thanks for that!  We can all get a bit hot under the collar when we discuss something that we hold dear to us. Personally I don't often take things to heart or get upset over what people post in some discussion on an internet forum, though I will to my detriment take an argument to far some times.  This happened in the gun thread where I let my own personal feelings and cultural view take precedent over what is in the US a completely lawful thing to do, own a gun.  I never intended to portray anyone as being morally wrong, or less righteous because they choose to exercise their legal right to own a firearm. 

LDG

It wasn't you, it was me.

When I get involved in a discussion regarding freedom/agency I frequently allow my emotions to trump my judgment. I don't know if it's because I fought so hard for those principals up there, or because I was an indolent slug up there and now I'm trying to make up for it here?  :D

Whatever the case, there is no excuse for that sort of vitriol. 

Thanks for accepting my apology.