Tell me what you see...

This is causing my kids to think I've gone off the deep end...

I see gold and white (or very pale lavender).  They see bright blue and black.  BLACK!  In what planet is gold even remotely close to black?  But, they see black.  Jedi mind trick... and I'm sure Vort - the master of color - will have the explanation.

tumblr_nkcjuq8Tdr1tnacy1o1_1280.jpg

Gold and white... really cute dress.  Oh, on second look, I can see the lavender in the top...very very faintly.

Maybe they are seeing the shadows on the dress. Where did they tell you they see black?

They don't see gold at all.  They see charcoal black.  They don't see white/lavender.  They see bright blue.  They're going insane over me insisting it is gold and white/pale lavender.

They're looking at the exact same picture off the exact same device at the exact same time as I am.

Edited by anatess

Don't know if I am spamming or not by double/triple posting...but, this is so interesting.

I got my color cop out and took a snap of the (what we think is white) color and it shows on color cop as blue. And, the (what we think is gold) shows on color cop as cocoa.

Everyone in the house is laughing at me now!

It won't let me post the image here...but, you can look at what I am talking about here...

http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/MARVELousArtworks/media/colors.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

What extensions are allowed in the forum to post an image. The image I tried to post is a jpeg.

It's not a guy thing either... I asked my female friend and she says straight up... BLUE AND BLACK!  Hmm... well, she's in the military working with a sea of males... so maybe she's been guy-fluenced.

I see gold and white (or very pale lavender).  They see bright blue and black.  BLACK!  In what planet is gold even remotely close to black?  But, they see black.  Jedi mind trick... and I'm sure Vort - the master of color - will have the explanation.

I am utterly baffled. Blue and black? In what universe?

Maybe it has something to do with varying sensitivies of cones, or maybe cone density in the retina. But the former seems unlikely,and I can't figure out how the latter would change anything. So I'm stumped.

After this article, I can see how it's blue and black..however...the literal colors in the picture are not blue and black (in spite of the original color of the dress), but blue (very lightish purple blue) and brown (that appears gold because of the shimmer -- aka dark gold). But I can see how the original dress is/was blue and black.

Very interesting.

Uhm... I still don't see the dress as blue and black even on the bluish tint in this link.  I asked the kids to point to the blue that they see off of the printer ink test page.  And it is as blue as the background of the Forum tab on lds.net.  And I asked them to point to the black and they pointed to the black.

Okay, so far... all the people that I asked (there's a grand total of 9, hah hah)...

The ones wearing corrective lenses say the dress is gold while the ones without corrective lenses say the dress is black.  I took out my contacts and the dress is still gold.

This has been on Facebook.  When I first saw it on Facebook I saw blue and black.  Now when I see it here I see white and gold.

I saw the reverse - white and gold when I saw it out of the corner of my eye on Facebook, but since then all I can see is blue and black.  An overexposed blue and black, but still...

"At least we can all agree on one thing: The people who see the dress as white are utterly, completely wrong."

Doesn't this quote sound like something we'd see posted on one of these threads.  I won't go into exactly who I could picture saying it, but I'm sure you might be able to guess a few... :) 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Freaky!  I saw this earlier on Facebook and it was definitely blue and black.  But now it is gold and white (it looks much prettier in gold and white, BTW).

I thought it was perhaps because of looking at it on different screens...phone, laptop...so I double checked both.  It doesn't matter.  I tried taking my glasses off, that doesn't make a difference either.

I knew that our mind "played tricks" on us--I read the book The Invisible Gorilla-- but wow, it's never been this obvious to me that what we see may not be real!  Creepy!

Dravin and I had this discussion last night.  I very clearly saw white/gold and he very clearly saw blue/black.  It had me baffled. He then began doing a color test with various programs to prove me wrong.  And when he brought up those programs, I could see the swatch as blue or black, but when I look at the dress as a whole, it is clearly white (or periwinkle as some have said) and gold.

Dravin also mentioned the whole cones and rods thing that Vort mentioned.

This just makes me laugh that it has taken over the internet.  And some of the tweets about it are hilarious.