Billed by the church for missionary equipment, is this a new thing?

Zwingli

My son is serving a mission, about 17 months out, and all the missionaries in his mission were issued iPads to use over a year ago.  Recently, the missionary department debited our ward missionary accounts for cost of the iPad for $400.  The bishops were told to collect it from the family.  If I don't pay, the ward eats it.

The bishop spoke with me about it, and frankly, I am very disinclined to pay.  What comes next, mission cars, mission phone plans, mobile phones, etc.?  We were given no warning of this for him leaving on a mission and $400 is an impact, like items for school when he returns.  I served a mission with no iPads, computer, whatever, and this is not essential mission equipment.  This is not like funding a temple.

I pay my tithing and that was my response to the bishop, and then some.  I don't feel this was handled right and I certainly don't appreciate being billed for $400.  There are cheaper alternatives as well besides Apple products. 

My view is that I do not plan to pay it.  This is not like a request for temple funds or the like.  I know the church spent a billion on a mall, bought a very camp for youth in southern CA, those things could have paid for iPads.  I want the $400 to pay for a laptop for my son for school.

Thoughts, advice?  I am rather irritated at this point right now.  Thanks.

This was announced a few months ago that this would be happening.  It's not new news.  Those monies used for the mall did not come from tithing or missionary funds.  

It's a new era.  It's the age of technology.  They are using what technology would be more effective. They also get to take them home at the end of their mission.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-expands-use-of-digital-devices-for-missionary-work

It does sound odd. As a former clerk, I can say your ward probably has the money to cover it. We used to have to turn over thousands of dollars of unused mission money donated by members for non-specific use. I don't think you need feel guilt for having the ward cover it. You probably have contributed to the fund over the years. 

The other perspective is...your son may have volunteered to take the iPad without consideration for the cost. Young people are like that.  :) He may also have "benefited" from it; meaning, it may have been worth it.

I'd be more sympathetic to your supposition that the Church should eat the cost for these iPads if the iPads weren't being regarded as the missionaries' personal property, to be taken home at the end of their missions. I would note in passing that just because missionaries didn't use something ten, or fifty, or a hundred years ago; doesn't mean the thing has no utility or application to missionary work in the present

I'm sorry you were caught off-guard by this; the announcement was out sometime ago. My suggestion would be to ask your missionary if he feels it's truly an effective tool. If it is--pay it. If he says it's just an expensive toy--don't; and instruct your missionary to leave it at the mission office or turn it over to your home-ward bishop at the end of his mission.

I understand your frustration at this, and in a perfect world they should have emailed you about this before hand.  This change was announced several months ago, but doesn't effect all missionaries (like my sister in the Amazon).  A little about the iPad---

Your son, as a missionary, bought the iPad.  Meaning it is HIS: he gets to keep it and bring it home when he's done.   It is HIS.  A mission car if not his, and obviously stays in the area.  Same with the phone (which keeps things consistent for investigators).  

What the ipad is used for: building the kingdom of God in a very direct way.  Missionaries need to reach people, and the way people connect nowadays is through digital means.  Frankly, people just don't talk door-to-door now.  i'm sure you're seen this in your own life: how often do you talk to the people across the street, versus the people on Facebook?  Having a computer is necessary thing in today's 1st world countries.  

Side note: the mall is totally a different thing.  It was not bought with tithing/missionary/fast funds, and no tithing/missionary/fast funds are derived from it.  But that's a different conversation.

Edited by Jane_Doe

I would also add that the Church is not a representative democracy; and as such we, as individual members, do not have any claim -- either in practice or in theory -- on the assets owned by the Church; be they temples, chapels, mission cars, youth camps, or shopping malls. Tithes and offerings are not taxes; missionary service is not an entitlement program; and I would be in error to suppose that I have "earned" any tangible goodies from the Church due to my prior contributions.

We give money to for-profit entities because we expect return on investment. We pay taxes (to a certain level) as part of our social contract (and beyond that level, due to threat of force). But we offer tithes and additional donations to the Church solely because we love God; and therefore expect nothing of any pecuniary value in return.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

We are facing the same probable situation. Here is my philosophy:

Thirty-three years ago, I gave every penny I had or ever would have to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as all my time, all my talents, and every blessing I had received or ever would receive from God. I became an owner of nothing, only a steward. So if God's kingdom asks me to "pay" something to them, then I already made that decision decades ago. There is no donation involved, only realization of what is mine and what is not.

I'm not meaning to totally distract from the conversation, but I don't understand the "value" of the iPad to missionaries. Perhaps that is the issue the OP has. Even though Jane_Doe posted a convincing argument on how communication has changed, I don't see missionaries being in social media to help them work with investigators. Other than the ability to message, I'm not sure what modern communication method an iPad delivers - and phones do messaging. Also, I think the "cost" of locking it down would be astronomical. Then, there is the fact they could only use it where there is free wi-fi. Granted, most church buildings - even those in the Amazon - have wi-fi.

I have friends in the Amazon rainforest that I hear from only on Sundays, because they are at church.

Also, I wasn't aware of the announcement. I wouldn't have been in a position to have been "told" or necessarily "discover" the news. Was obtaining the iPad "optional"?

Edited by pkstpaul

I'm not meaning to totally distract from the conversation, but I don't understand the "value" of the iPad to missionaries. Perhaps that is the issue the OP has. Even though Jane_Doe posted a convincing argument on how communication has changed, I don't see missionaries being in social media to help them work with investigators. Other than the ability to message, I'm not sure what modern communication method an iPad delivers - and phones do messaging. Also, I think the "cost" of locking it down would be astronomical. Then, there is the fact they could only use it where there is free wi-fi. Granted, most church buildings - even those in the Amazon - have wi-fi.

I have friends in the Amazon rainforest that I hear from only on Sundays, because they are at church.

Did you read the link I provided?  It explains quite thoroughly what the IPADS will be used for and it's not so much about social media.

Also, I wasn't aware of the announcement. I wouldn't have been in a position to have been "told" or necessarily "discover" the news. Was obtaining the iPad "optional"?

The reason the church issues standardized mission iPads is to encourage responsible mission behavior.  The come pre-installed with a digital Missionary Daily Planner and the Area Book (which replaces the traditional printed).  They also have The Gospel Library app includes scriptures, manuals, magazines and other teaching resources.  Missionaries use them to plan their day, keep the schedule, contact people (including via Facebook, cause that's how people communicate nowadays).  They also use them to teach lessons, either my playing church videos, or as a visual aide (replacing the old-school flip chart).  

Yes, there is a risk that some missionaries will goof off with the iPads.  No one denies this.  But, as the article Pam posted states, the church is trying to encourage missionaries (and young people in general) to develop good digital habits.  This is one venue for them to do that.  And personally, I'm of the opinion that the missionaries who are going to goof-off with the ipad would probably be the same missionaries goofing off if iPads didn't exist.

Didn't missionaries back in the 70s have to carry around a tape recorder and one of those old-fashioned filmstrip projectors (the arrangement where you'd hear a "beep" and advance to the next slide)?

The only difference I see here is that a) the iPad is much less bulky, b ) the Church is trying to offset the cost of the equipment onto the missionaries themselves; and c) the missionaries will have an item to take home with them that can be extremely useful in academic and professional pursuits.

I suppose that, if word hits the street that all those Mormon missionaries carry iPads, they might become more attractive mugging targets.  But that's not the OP's complaint.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Thanks for the clarifications.  And, no, I didn't click the link as a practice of safe-computing. If I can't cut and paste it, I don't click on it.

I would think then, there is a great value and it increases the overall cost of a mission. The OP was caught off guard at the added expense of essentially one-month of expense in the middle of the mission. I might agree with him in not liking the expense increased mid-mission.

If it had been spread out over the entire mission, the cost would be about $20 a month. The Church should just bump up the cost overall going forward, IMHO. I think it reasonable that the ward (or Church) funds pick up the cost from undistributed funds.

Though I wonder (as someone posted earlier) if the missionary was aware that this was going to happen and failed to mention it.  Perhaps knowing what the response might be.  

I'm not saying that there shouldn't have been better communication.  I just wonder if there wasn't communication and either it wasn't forwarded or the thought was that it didn't apply.

I would think then, there is a great value and it increases the overall cost of a mission. The OP was caught off guard at the added expense of essentially one-month of expense in the middle of the mission. I might agree with him in not liking the expense increased mid-mission.

If it had been spread out over the entire mission, the cost would be about $20 a month. The Church should just bump up the cost overall going forward, IMHO. I think it reasonable that the ward (or Church) funds pick up the cost from undistributed funds.

A payment plan might be a good idea.

I don't like the idea of tacking it on to the cost to all missions though, because not all missionaries get them and the iPads are personal property.  

Didn't missionaries back in the 70s have to carry around a tape recorder and one of those old-fashioned filmstrip projectors (the arrangement where you'd hear a "beep" and advance to the next slide)?

The only difference I see here is that a) the iPad is much less bulky, b ) the Church is trying to offset the cost of the equipment onto the missionaries themselves; and c) the missionaries will have an item to take home with them that can be extremely useful in academic and professional pursuits.

I suppose that, if word hits the street that all those Mormon missionaries carry iPads, they might become more attractive mugging targets.  But that's not the OP's complaint.

I served a mission in England from 79-81 and we had to have a filmstrip projector and tape player. Due to the electrical cords being different in the two countries you would be better off buying one in the mission field. Our tape player would run off batteries and if those batteries were dead then either you or your companion became the voice of filmstrip you were showing that night. You heard them so often you cold recite them with the beeps included. Lol !!

Now it looks like Missionaries will be buying bikes and IPads. Very very nice.

I do have a question, though, if someone would like to respond.

Do the missionaries get to keep these iPads as personal property after their missions? If so, do the missionaries that went on a mission funded by the ward (because their family could not pay for them to serve a mission) also get to keep them?

As a missionary I was personally responsible for buying a bike and a tape recorder, and at that time, we even had to purchase the Books of Mormon we gave out to investigators.  I don't see a lot of difference in having the missionary buying their own iPad.

I can't say that I would not be upset with getting a $400 bill that I wasn't expecting. So I sympathize with feeling blindsided. Even with a public release, I think you should have received something more personal. 

As far as the need for an iPad in the mission field? I think it's a great idea. We are so much more connected with tech these days, and if used properly it will hasten the work of the lord.