Billed by the church for missionary equipment, is this a new thing?

Zwingli

I believe they get to keep it if they choose to. They can also choose to sell it to a new missionary coming out. They do the same with their bikes.

If you get the item new, you pay the new price.

If you get the item second-hand, you get a discount.

For the people asking "why apple" and not tablets from much cheaper manufacturers, I don't have any inside knowledge, but my guess is for support related reasons.

Historically the church has always developed it's apps for Apple devices first, before focusing on other platforms such as Android or Windows. The missionaries are likely going to be some of the first users of these apps, so it makes sense for them to have the platform the apps are initially developed for.

Edited by Mahone

When I came back from England had to go thru customs.....I wonder how bringing an IPad back into the country that was purchased over seas would cause a problem ??

What do you mean? As far as functioning, the device will work the same, as I've traveled with my iPhone/iPad all over outside the USA and haven't had any problems. 

I think what he's getting at is, if I buy an expensive item while I'm traveling abroad and try to bring it home with me, I have to declare it and I may have to pay an import duty on the item when I'm going through Customs.

Yes.....this is what I am wondering about. More curiosity than anything.

I think what he's getting at is, if I buy an expensive item while I'm traveling abroad and try to bring it home with me, I have to declare it and I may have to pay an import duty on the item when I'm going through Customs.

I can see it in another way. Technically it's not being paid for overseas.  Many are paid for right here in the states through parents or wards.  They just happen to receive it in the mission field.

When I came back from England had to go thru customs.....I wonder how bringing an IPad back into the country that was purchased over seas would cause a problem ??

1 One is allowed $800 of items free of duty. Most missionaries are not buying many things.

2 As a person who travels extensively, I can tell you that carrying an iPad around is the functional equivalent of wearing a jacket. It would never occur to me to declare this. iPads are ubiquitous.

Quite a few years ago my son was sent home from his mission because he was in a vehicle accident and broke his jaw.  The mission wanted us to take care of his medical care.  He later returned to finish an honorable mission.

While he was gone, a missionary expropriated his bicycle and totally unbeknownst to me he (my son) was provided a new one.

After he got home, many months later, I received a bill from the church for the bicycle.  Can't remember the amount but it was not inexpensive.

I initially refused to pay it, as I felt the mission had some responsibility in letting another elder use his bicycle.  We ended up negotiating something, but I really let the mission President have it.  I absolutely refused to pay the full amount, because my son left the machine behind.

Edited by mrmarklin

You don't pay customs fees for personal items under a certain amount. That amount is much higher than an ipad... In the tens of thousands of dollars...

Interesting because when I went to Hong Kong I could bring back up to $500 duty free.  Luckily I had gone there to meet a military ship enjoying a port visit. So I had everything else go on the ship because they weren't subject to duty fees.

Interesting because when I went to Hong Kong I could bring back up to $500 duty free. Luckily I had gone there to meet a military ship enjoying a port visit. So I had everything else go on the ship because they weren't subject to duty fees.

Duty free is completely different. These are purchases you make that are exempt from local taxes. Usually available inside the airport for people on connecting flights. If you go through customs then purchase stuff anywhere in the country, your purchases are levied local taxes as applicable. When you take these purchases (e.g. Souvenirs) with you back through customs into the airplane, you don't need to pay customs fees for personal use items up to a certain amount. If ypu take a whole 45 pound box of shoes with you then customs would most likely ask you to pay trade fees regardless of the value of the shoes unless you can somehow convince customs officers you're not selling those shoes.

Missions and the cost of missions are no longer "fair" and by standardizing the monthly contribution made for missionaries, some missionions are subsidized and others live well below the actual amount of the contribution. 

Asking missionaries to personally cover the additional $400 for an iPad sounds like a typical bureaucrat decision to see how many families will simply pay the additional amount out of a sense of duty. 

Asking missionaries to personally cover the additional $400 for an iPad sounds like a typical bureaucrat decision to see how many families will simply pay the additional amount out of a sense of duty.

This is incorrect. The iPad that a missionary pays for goes home with the missionary. And not all missions use an iPad and some missions have a "mission iPad" that is given to the missionary while on the mission and hand back to the mission president when he is finished/transferred to then be handed over to the next missionary assigned to that area (this is how ours are set up - a missionary who brings his own iPad will still have to use the "mission iPad"). In addition, you are not prevented from going on a mission if you don't have one.

Was conducting a year end audit for our stake a few eeks ago. Visited the Ward to do the audit and the Bishop was talking about making sure money was available for his daughter who is serving a mission ....so she can purchase an iPad. I asked him if he and his wife were upset about it and he responded no there were not. He knew she was going to need one sooner or later. I am not sure if they paid for it or the local Ward.