What is Priestcraft?

georgia2

I get that this would save the church some money, but other than that, why?  Also, while some missionaries may earn their own way entirely, don't most LDS families support their children's missionary experience--at least in part?

It's not about saving money.  As far as I know the LDS church is debt free.  It's about being "old school".  Sure there are scriptural accounts of ministers receiving gifts.  Elias and the widow's cake comes to mind. But the Book of Mormon has set the standard high regarding unpaid service:

12 I say unto you that as I have been suffered to spend my days in your service, even up to this time, and have not sought gold nor silver nor any manner of riches of you;

14 And even I, myself, have labored with mine ownhands that I might serve you, and that ye should not beladen with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne—and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.

18 Behold, ye have called me your king; and if I, whom ye call your king, do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another?

Now regarding parents/family financially support missionaries, that's great.  I'm sure the GA's have family too.  And if they don't, no problem, just a shorter rotation.

Edited by garryw

I don't hesitate to "judge" the payment of clergy as priestcraft.  Can you imagine John the Baptist sending Jesus an invoice for his baptism?  

River fees: 4 silver 

Camel hair rental: 2 silver

Locust and honey reception: 3 silver

Recording fees: 1 silver per gospel

We have a paid clergy how do you  feel about that?

It's not about saving money.  As far as I know the LDS church is debt free.  It's about being "old school".  Sure there are scriptural accounts of ministers receiving gifts.  Elias and the widow's cake comes to mind. But the Book of Mormon has set the standard high regarding unpaid service:

12 I say unto you that as I have been suffered to spend my days in your service, even up to this time, and have not sought gold nor silver nor any manner of riches of you;

14 And even I, myself, have labored with mine ownhands that I might serve you, and that ye should not beladen with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne—and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.

18 Behold, ye have called me your king; and if I, whom ye call your king, do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another?

Now regarding parents/family financially support missionaries, that's great.  I'm sure the GA's have family too.  And if they don't, no problem, just a shorter rotation.

That's King Benjamin's opinion. Would you like to know the Lord's?

Edited by mordorbund

I recall that Christ paid His taxes by asking one of His apostles to extract a piece of money from the mouth of a fish. Does that have any similarities with priestcraft as it has been defined and discussed in this topic? Would it be an attempt at priestcraft if you or I tried to find a pot of gold through the power of faith and prayer?

That's King Benjamin's opinion. Would you like to know the Lord's?

and also 

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/24.18?lang=eng#17

but on the other hand

86 Therefore, let no man among you, for this commandment is unto all the faithful who are called of God in the church unto the ministry, from this hour take purse or scrip, that goeth forth to proclaim this gospel of the kingdom.

87 Behold, I send you out to reprove the world of all their unrighteous deeds, and to teach them of a judgment which is to come.

88 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mineangels round about you, to bear you up.

89 Whoso receiveth you receiveth me; and the same will feed you, and clothe you, and give you money.

90 And he who feeds you, or clothes you, or gives you money, shall in nowise lose his reward.

91 And he that doeth not these things is not my disciple; by this you may know my disciples.

• 1 year later...

I was recently doing some scripture research which brought me to 2Nephy chapter 10.   As I was reviewing the chapter it occurred to me that priest craft applies to more than just religion.  Specifically the Book of Mormon is to shed light on our current “America”.  It seems to me that besides referencing to abuses in religious positions – the idea of priest craft also applies to those that serve the public in civil or governmental positions.  The example given in 2Nephi is that of judges that rule on the law – for political reasons, to gain favor with the rich and powerful or for money.

In addition the idea of priest craft can make a connection to “secret” combinations as well.  I had not thought of priest craft as an abuse of government service or bureaucracy or an extension of secret combinations.  I find this interesting in light of the politicizing of the IRS and more recently high positions within the FBI.   I believe that if the truth were known – the problem of priest craft is of greater concern within our government that prides itself in separation of church and state than in any Church in the good old USA.

The Traveler

On 3/3/2015 at 9:13 PM, georgia2 said:

I'm not asking this due to lack of knowledge or the scriptures. I'm asking because during a scripture reading the term came up and people disagreed totally on it's meaning. I thought Priestcraft was anyone who posed as a person who claimed to have the right to preach, teach, and administer ordinances, got paid to, yet did not hold the Holy Priesthood, as restored by Joseph Smith. Others thought that there were good preachers in other religions who didn't know about the fullness of the Gospel, so therefore they didn't practice Priestcraft.

those who use religion to build up something other than God's kingdom. Almost always for worldly gain of some sort or another.

On 3/3/2015 at 11:13 PM, georgia2 said:

I'm not asking this due to lack of knowledge or the scriptures. I'm asking because during a scripture reading the term came up and people disagreed totally on it's meaning. I thought Priestcraft was anyone who posed as a person who claimed to have the right to preach, teach, and administer ordinances, got paid to, yet did not hold the Holy Priesthood, as restored by Joseph Smith. Others thought that there were good preachers in other religions who didn't know about the fullness of the Gospel, so therefore they didn't practice Priestcraft.

When someone seeks to set himself up for a light, he is rejecting the Light of Christ, and to the degree he does that he is practicing priestcraft (2 Nephi 26:29). The root of this of course is pride, and the more serious degrees of priestcraft have to do with the objective of getting gain and the praise of the world (which some confuse with God's blessings), and seeking not the welfare of Zion.