UC Irvine Student Leadership Panel Votes To Remove American Flag From Campus Lobby

Dr T

UC Irvine Student Leadership Panel Votes To Remove American Flag From Campus Lobby. They removed our flag to create space for other non state and non-federal things. There will be a meeting about this decision and it may be overturned. Thoughts?

As long as they don't start flying some other nations flag in it's place I don't really care. Patriotism is great, but we don't have to have our flag dangling everywhere to prove ourselves. What was the reasoning for removal?

It is one thing to reject a suggestion to put a flag up, but quite another to pro-actively remove it.  This is not sophistication, global-mindedness, or inclusion--this is the kind of anti-Americanism that permeates some sectors of the Left.  Dinesh D'Souza's latest documentary, America--Imagine a World Without Her, does an excellent job of highlighting the grievances various academics have against us, and why they are wrong.  I highly recommend it.

Edited by prisonchaplain

My suggestion as to the most helpful order of events would be:

1. First,a discussion on how questions of this type should be addressed, eg, by decree of the university president or the body that controls the university? by vote of the students? by the whim of a major financial supporter? Presumably the university already has a set of rules or procedures for how important decisions should be made.

2. Using the agreed set of procedures, there should then be a broad discussion about where flags at Irvine University should/could be and where they should/could not be. 

3. Consistent with the principles of flag location identified through the above discussion, there should then be a specific discussion about whether or not there should be a flag in the campus lobby. This discussion should take into account all the possible ways in which that space should be used. My two cents worth is that it should be used in a way that best promotes the values and objectives of the university.

If the decision is made along these kind of lines, and if the campus lobby is an area that is recognised as being legitimately under the control of the student leadership lobby panel then I think that whatever decision they make should stand, regardless of whether the decision is for or against the flag being returned to the lobby.

It would be an ironic situation if a majority of students voted for the removal of a flag, which in part represents a commitment to democratic values and that decision was then upheld on the grounds that it was a majority who voted for it.

So I read an article on this today, it seems at least in part the reason for the flag removal was because the American flag could be seen by some as representing racism and imperialism. This update completely changes my opinion on this.

Idiots all I say. The American flag is symbolic of many things, the fact that some see those items previously mentioned in it is more a reflection of what they believe about this country than anything.

Edited by jerome1232

UC Irvine Student Leadership Panel Votes To Remove American Flag From Campus Lobby. They removed our flag to create space for other non state and non-federal things. There will be a meeting about this decision and it may be overturned. Thoughts?

Having served in the Army, I feel anger by this and other colleges are calling the American flag "aggressive". When it was thought that Sen Kerry had won the election instead of Bush (on the nightly news, I came into my office in Atlanta City Hall to find that the American flag moved below and the UN flag above it. As a police office I wanted to go ask the Mayor yes. I was ordered not to, for fear I would be fired. It anger me ever day I say it. I don't know what is happening to my country anymore. I once thought about changing it at night a number of times.