Moving to Utah

David13

I am originally from Michigan, but have lived the last 42 years in Los Angeles.

I'm 65

I have been visiting Utah twice a year or more for some years now and want to relocate to southern Utah.

I don't much fit in in Los Angeles and believe, and have been told that I will fit in in Utah.

I am also very interested in getting out of the city.

I do believe I will be a lot happier in Utah, even with the colder weather.

I have been thinking of this for years now, and realize the only way to do it is just that, pack up and move.

I know people who have moved to Utah, and others who moved out, as they didn't like it.

What are the thoughts of those that live, or have lived in Utah?

Thanks

dc

Two (sets) of our best friends have move there, to Layton and Saratoga Springs respectively, and like it very much. I think I'd like living in Layton or maybe Logan. 

I'm an Idaho girl in my blood and bones, and it would take a lot to get me to leave. Utah is my third choice of places to live, behind Idaho and Washington state. 

So. Utah such as St. George isn't quite as bad during the winter as it is heading north.  Though this year those living there may tend to disagree with me.

I moved from San Diego.  If I could move back to San Diego I'd do it in a heart beat.  Not because I dislike Utah, just that I am extremely homesick for the place.  Okay well I do immensely dislike winter.

So, you are in St George?

I'm looking around there and out to Torrey.

I'd really like to be in Torrey or around there.

I have an acquaintance in Hurricane.  He says Hurricane is indeed much warmer than Cedar City even.

I know riding down (motorcycle) from Richfield to Beaver, then into St George, I have seen the weather much warmer and nicer.  I think it may be elevation loss.

What about the people, the work or job situation?

I feel like St George is too big of a city, but Torrey is out in the middle of nothing, in terms of stores or anything.

To buy anything you have to go into Richfield.

Thanks for the replies.

dc

Guest LiterateParakeet

I lived in Utah for about 7 years and while I was there I loved it. I lived in St. George for a year...the weather there is awesome. The people say if you can get through the 2 or 3 hot months in the summer, but rest of the year the weather is great!  Now I live in Washington and I love it and have no desire to return to Utah. One of the many things I love about Washington is the diversity.  I like having opportunities for myself and my kids to meet people of many different races, cultures and religions. 

Just some thoughts that may or may not be helpful.  :)

I lived in Utah for about 7 years and while I was there I loved it. I lived in St. George for a year...the weather there is awesome. The people say if you can get through the 2 or 3 hot months in the summer, but rest of the year the weather is great!  Now I live in Washington and I love it and have no desire to return to Utah. One of the many things I love about Washington is the diversity.  I like having opportunities for myself and my kids to meet people of many different races, cultures and religions. 

Just some thoughts that may or may not be helpful.   :)

That is one of the biggest things I miss about San Diego.  The diversity.  I'm so glad I grew up in an area with such a diversity of people and cultures.

Southern Utah has had quite a lot of people moving in from Southern California over the past several years. Particularly St. George as the weather is closer to what they were used to in Cali.  St. George's elevation is just under 3000 feet above sea level, whereas Cedar City is just under 6000. So St. George is usually 10 degrees warmer than Cedar, and Cedar is usually about 10 degrees warmer than Northern Utah. And there are a lot of smaller towns around the area, too. So you wouldn't necessarily have to live in city.

For example, Veyo and Enterprise are both quite close to St. George but are very small towns. There is some really pretty area between those two little towns. That's were the Mountain Meadows area is. Even Hurricane isn't all that big, though it keeps growing. But if you go a ways beyond Hurricane, you hit places like Toquerville and La Verkin which are both very small and quite pretty. I always like driving through that area. Beaver is pretty small, but there are even smaller places like Greenville and Adamsville just to the west toward Minersville (which is tiny). That's some pretty area to drive through, too.

I'm not familiar with Torrey but it looks like it's in the middle of Utah. That is some pretty area, too. Sorry. I keep going on about how pretty it all is. You probably already know that.

Your job opportunities will be greatest in the St. George area. The farther north you go the sparser the population gets until you hit about Payson. Then it's wall to wall people clear until Ogden, in the opinion of this yokel.

We love Southern Utah. I have lived here nearly 20 years. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I have two siblings that live in St George/Santa Clara so I've visited there a number of times.  I prefer green over red but they love it.  I also have another sibling that moved there to be closer to them but didn't even last a year - it wasn't for her and she didn't see them as often as she thought she would.  

Anyway, if you feel 'called' to a certain place, there's probably a reason and you'll never know how it will really go till you act. If you do move, I hope it works out even better than you hope.  Good luck.

I will have to go thru' Toquerville, Veyo and Enterprise, and some of the others. 

I know it's all so beautiful.  That's definitely what draws me out there.

I guess I do feel that I maybe I am being 'called' out there.  Or am I.  Is it self will.  But if a person wants to do something, they need to just do it.  Just pack up and move.  That's certainly how I got here and stayed more than 40 years.

At my age it's not so easy, tho'.

I have been to many of the small towns.  Torrey is small, and beautiful and cold at 7000 + feet.

I guess I have had enough big city.  I need the small town.

I talked to a man from Nephi last year.  He remarked that Los Angeles 'has a lot of people'. 

I guess that's my feeling, too many people.

Thanks for the responses.

David

David - Utah is a desert.  Being from Utah I would encounter  those that were surprised that there are no trees.  I would respond with, "What do you mean there are no trees?  There is one and over there is another!"  The truth is that trees do not grow here on their own - if you want a tree in your yard you will have to plant it yourself.

Myself - I love my neighbors here in Utah - but I have always loved my neighbors wherever we have lived.  My wife does not like the other places we have lived.  She is a sun person and cloudy skies makes her mood gloomy - so Utah, having lots of sunny days makes her happy?   If you do not mind having rocks in your front yard rather than a lawn to mow and keep year round - you will really love southern Utah.

If you do not mind having rocks in your front yard rather than a lawn to mow and keep year round - you will really love southern Utah.

If by "southern Utah" you mean anywhere below Black Ridge, then i might let this slide. But even then, not entirely true. The St. George Temple has plenty of lawn. And i love all the exotic looking plants in St. George that don't grow anywhere else in Utah. I'm not even sure what some of those trees are that grow down there, but they look like palm trees to me. I love just driving around and looking at the houses that are around the temple area. So many awesome plants. Southern Utah is way more diverse than just rock.

• 2 weeks later...

If by "southern Utah" you mean anywhere below Black Ridge, then i might let this slide. But even then, not entirely true. The St. George Temple has plenty of lawn. And i love all the exotic looking plants in St. George that don't grow anywhere else in Utah. I'm not even sure what some of those trees are that grow down there, but they look like palm trees to me. I love just driving around and looking at the houses that are around the temple area. So many awesome plants. Southern Utah is way more diverse than just rock.

we had peach trees at our house :). Actually i liked it back when ST George didn't have any of the palmtree type trees.... they need more Joshua trees.

I am originally from Michigan, but have lived the last 42 years in Los Angeles.

I'm 65

I have been visiting Utah twice a year or more for some years now and want to relocate to southern Utah.

I don't much fit in in Los Angeles and believe, and have been told that I will fit in in Utah.

I am also very interested in getting out of the city.

I do believe I will be a lot happier in Utah, even with the colder weather.

I have been thinking of this for years now, and realize the only way to do it is just that, pack up and move.

I know people who have moved to Utah, and others who moved out, as they didn't like it.

What are the thoughts of those that live, or have lived in Utah?

Thanks

dc

I have family who reside in St. George and it's beautiful down there. I've traveled many places around the world and there isn't anything quite like southern Utah. It is truly a magnificent vista to behold. Aside from the scenery, it is much slower paced (though growing with the times) and real estate is unbelievably affordable down there - beautiful homes for great prices. In addition, lots of outdoor activities to participate in and 55+ groups where you can meet people with similar interests. In some parts there are "small town mindsets" but overall, I wouldn't be opposed to retire down there with my husband in the future. While it is densely LDS, there is actually quite a bit of diversity, as well. Lots of Polynesian culture and a growing Latino culture, which is awesome, especially when fairs roll around.

Any place has its pro's and con's. You just need to weigh it out, make a decision and pray about it. I lived in Provo many moons ago when I was younger had a great experience, loved it probably should of stayed

longer. Would I move back there probably not. It's cold there I've lived in south Florida for many yrs I get cold so easily. Plus I like living in the mission field. Not that ut. isn't a mission field too it is and a lot of opportunity to Learn a lot.

I think the snow is a great place for a winter vacation, but to live in it, is not for me .

If you move there I'm sure you will love it..

Edited by Roseslipper

I lived in St. George for about 10 years.  It was quite awhile ago during my Jr. High and High School years and a few years beyond.  The heat was too much for me.  But, I love the area.  I have thought of moving back to Southern Utah, but I'm thinking, because of the heat, I probably couldn't handle St. George itself.  I've thought of Leeds, Veyo,  or New Harmony, too.  They are a little higher in elevation, so a little cooler, but close enough that I could commute into St. George or Cedar City for work if I needed to.

• 3 weeks later...

Two (sets) of our best friends have move there, to Layton and Saratoga Springs respectively, and like it very much. I think I'd like living in Layton or maybe Logan. 

I'm an Idaho girl in my blood and bones, and it would take a lot to get me to leave. Utah is my third choice of places to live, behind Idaho and Washington state.

Have you never visited the Celestial Kingdom (Georgia) warmer that all of the colder States you mentioned...and more diverse.

Have you never visited the Celestial Kingdom (Georgia) warmer that all of the colder States you mentioned...and more diverse.

Reluctant as I am to correct my seniors, may I suggest that your sense of direction may not be as sharp as it was in your younger years. :) I think the place you are referring to is just south of Papua New Guinea, and a little to the west of New Zealand. I can understand why you think Georgia might be the Celestial Kingdom, but you need to keep in mind that one of Satan's cleverest tricks is to make convincing counterfeits that look like the real thing.

I've been to Georgia and have experienced the humidity.  It felt like hell to me.

I want to move to Nauvoo......now I just need to convince my wife of that.

Ummm.... you do know that Nauvoo is in Illinois, right?  You do know that Illinois is ugly, right?  You do know the politics are scandalous, taxes are high and aside from Chicago it is just plain boring?

I am so glad to be out of Illinois.  I would have liked to live in Utah, but God moved us to Virginia.

Well, again "diversity" has been suggested to me.

Let me say this, about that.

Living in Los Angeles for more than 40 years has given me far more diversity of every type that I may ever need.  And then a nauseating some more.

So it is not "diversity" I seek. 

Quite the contrary.

Georgia?  As in Atlanta? 

Yes, I am sure there are those that think it to be heaven.  But like Pam I gasped.  Humidity?  High crime?  Politics?

Just what I want to get away from in Los Angeles?

My father retired to Florida.  I would not.

Thankfully, nothing personal here, no one has suggested Detroit.  I 'll avoid that place also.

Utah.

The Bee Hive state.  Industry.  Small towns.  Rural areas.  Scenic scenery.  Red and beige mountains, hills and deserts.

Curvy, well paved roads.  Up hill and down hill.  A motorcycling paradise.

A bit of a winter.

A lady in Torrey told me how nice the Mormons are (oh?) and that as to winter, just get a wood burning stove.  And I would get used to it.

I pray that God will move me to southern Utah.

Thanks for the replies.

dc