Moving to Utah

David13

Reluctant as I am to correct my seniors, may I suggest that your sense of direction may not be as sharp as it was in your younger years. :) I think the place you are referring to is just south of Papua New Guinea, and a little to the west of New Zealand. I can understand why you think Georgia might be the Celestial Kingdom, but you need to keep in mind that one of Satan's cleverest tricks is to make convincing counterfeits that look like the real thing.[/quoteGeorgia, USA, I have no idea to what you are saying. So forgive me, you are supposed to love where you live...my family has been around the Atlanta area for over 200+ years. We built it....I belong to this land. I am just saying I will doe and be buried in this land. I belong too it. I was also able to build up the Church in North Georgia...and I belong to the land! I live here I love here and I will die and be buried here.

Except for a 9 month stint in Wyoming (job related) I've lived in Utah my entire life. My parents were born and raised here, all four of my grandparents were born and raised here, and seven out of eight of my great grandparents were born and raised here. I have relatives and friends scattered from one end of the state to the other.

"Southern Utah" is a nebulous term, but I've lived all my life in the southern portion of the state.  From Payson south there probably isn't a town I haven't visited, a mountain range I haven't hiked or hunted, a lake or stream I haven't fished, or a road I haven't traveled on. (Much of it on motorcycle by the way)

I've spent time in every surrounding state in addition to a few others and I've never seen anywhere else I'd rather call home.

Just a few notes aside from our private conversation.

*You’re not going to find southern California weather (year round) anywhere in the state. Those places that don't enjoy a real winter (south of the Black Ridge) are suffocatingly hot in the summer, while every place else experiences snow and cold (in some places bitter) during winter months. And some places on the high desert get both bitter cold and extreme heat. I know---I live in one of those places.

If you like your fellow Californians you should love Torrey; it's been taken over by them along with Teasdale and Boulder. If you detect a note of cliquish hostility in that sentence please don't take it personal. But I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the word "Californian" is used as a pejorative in many small southern Utah towns, even among normally kind and cordial Latter-day Saints.

Unless you choose a town that has already been acquisitioned, you would be wise not to begin a sentence with "that’s not how we did it in Cali…"

That’s about as far as you'll get before a boot meets your behind.

On the other hand if you tell people you came there because you were sick of California you'll be welcomed with open arms.

*There is no better motorcycle riding anywhere in the world. Highways 12, 24, 89, 95, 191---absolutely gorgeous country and little traffic. I've spent many a day on a Kawasaki KLR traversing that country. 

If you have any questions regarding an individual town or area just ask---either here or in private.

i have been wondering about Teasdale and Torrey.  Boulder I got that impression from the get go, that it was not a typical Utah small town.

I need to do more on the ground research out there.

I do indicate in all my conversations about how glad I am to get away from the whole California situation.  There is one, and only one good law here.  Lane splitting is allowed.

The one admirable thing this state has other than nice weather and also great scenery.  When it's not too stuffed with tourists.

I have been on those roads and some others;  I may have passed you on the other side of the road;  maybe on Burr Trail, on the BMWR1200RT.

When we are in Torrey the other riders are from all over and there is a beautiful range out there we go to.  It's certainly one of the things I go out there for like most of the other riders.  There are of course a few who won't participate.

Thanks for your comments, particularly about Torrey as I would not be happy to move to a place where the first thing I hear from the local government is "well, let's do it like they do in California".  Unless they are talking about lane splitting.

dc

Yeah, I know, I been there many times over the last 50 years.

Hey, wait a minute, Australia?  Are you sure you ever been there (to Utah)?

dc

Only twice, which is far fewer than I would like. There is a lot in Utah that I would like to do.

i have been wondering about Teasdale and Torrey.  Boulder I got that impression from the get go, that it was not a typical Utah small town.

I need to do more on the ground research out there.

Yeah, Torrey and Teasdale haven't been assimilated completely yet, but Boulder is a lost cause. 

Just around the corner are Bicknell and Loa and they're still typical Utah small towns. You might want to look there if you have your heart set on the area.

I've been to Georgia and have experienced the humidity.  It felt like hell to me.

Indeed, the blast furnace comes on in late May and remains on through October. :( It will be coming on line soon. I have a three acre front yard that must be cut every week and the heat is unreal. However...so green, so much forest land. :)

So I'll live in St George til May, then go up to Torrey, up to higher ground, or maybe Loa or Bicknell or Lyman, up to higher ground for the summer.  And for the flood too, if there is a flood.  Then in October back to St. George.  But maybe go up for a white Christmas.

dc

Like come and clean my computer screen?

The Lord's preferred method of cleansing is baptism by full immersion. This should take care of your whole computer, not just the screen. If you let it soak for a while, you'll probably never need to clean that particular computer again.   :)

Edited by askandanswer

I love living in Utah.  As my user name suggests, I'm into stargazing.  An Utah has some of the darkest skies in the continental United States.  Dark skies are a vanishing natural resource what with the ever-growing light pollution, but here in Utah it is still a treasure.

Los Angeles to Torrey would be quite a contrast! I live in Spanish Fork, about 15 minutes south of Provo and an hour south of Salt Lake. It was a decent-sized town many years ago when I moved there but it's getting too big for me now, so I'm considering moving further south. Have you considered towns like Ephraim or Manti or Mt. Pleasant? Not quite as small as Torrey but not as large as where I live either. And definitely not Los Angeles.