What's General Conference without a stand from some group

pam

So this seems to be the latest thing for upcoming General Conference.

A group was organized to secure tickets for conference sessions so those who use these tickets can oppose the sustaining of leaders.

http://anyopposed.org/press-release-mormons-to-cast-opposing-vote-at-lds-general-confernce/

What, will it get to the point that you have to have a temple recommend to attend general conference? 

Last weekend there was a regional conference broadcast to something like 200 stakes in Idaho. One of the main talks was about how we have too much contention between us. These kinds of groups are the source of a lot of it.

I started to read the press release but only got as far as the second paragraph and then gave up. Its outside my area of interest or concern. I thought for a moment or two that perhaps I should read all of it, out of a sense of duty to keep myself informed about things that matter to me, but no, I really don't need this stuff and it has no impact or relevance for me. 

I started to read the press release but only got as far as the second paragraph and then gave up. Its outside my area of interest or concern. I thought for a moment or two that perhaps I should read all of it, out of a sense of duty to keep myself informed about things that matter to me, but no, I really don't need this stuff and it has no impact or relevance for me. 

Other than it could possibly cause quite a commotion during the conference session.

What, will it get to the point that you have to have a temple recommend to attend general conference? 

Last weekend there was a regional conference broadcast to something like 200 stakes in Idaho. One of the main talks was about how we have too much contention between us. These kinds of groups are the source of a lot of it.

That was a fabulous conference!! Loved it!

It happened at 3 or 4 conferences in the early 1980s as well. Everything old is new again.

I love how the website promises to protect anonymity, whilst similarly gloating that "no voters" have traditionally gotten a face-to-face meeting with a GA. Make up your mind, kids--do you want the GAs to know who you are, or don't you?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Well they won't be anonymous if they oppose and are invited to meet with I'm assuming President Packer since he is the President of the 12.

When those opposed the sustaining of President Kimball they were invited to meet with President Hinckley who was president of the 12 at the time.

I'm not against people being opposed, but I cringe and view with suspicion secret works. Who is putting this together? What should be opposed? Why are people opposed?

It kinda reads to me as be opposed for the sake of being opposed, while I hope not to diminish the concerns of people, that is how it reads to me.

Maybe this could cause a regional opposed vote reporting system to be implemented.

(If there isn't one already, possibly called reporting to priesthood authority)

But more seriously, the guy behind this is clearly upset that the essays on race and polygamy don't represent history in the way he thinks it should be represented.  There is some merit to that stance.  I don't agree with the way he is trying to express his concerns, but I get where he's coming from.  If this helps him sleep at night, so be it.

For what it's worth, as of 8:30 AM EST today, there have been 27 tickets requested, 11 tickets promised, and 0 tickets received.  This probably hasn't picked up much traction yet, but I don't think it will pick up a whole lot.  

I believe President Benson was actually the president of the Q12 at that point.  President Hinckley was a counselor in the 1st Presidency.

N. Eldon Tanner and Marion G. Romney were counselors at the time this happened.

But you are right that President Benson was president of the 12 the time.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1980/10/the-sustaining-of-church-officers?lang=eng#watch=video

So, how did they deal with the "opposed" as regards to Kimball? My understanding is that all these have to be resolved before the keys can be given.

I have never heard that. But in President Kimball's case, it's irrelevant; he was already the president of the Church, and so already held the keys.

I have never heard that. But in President Kimball's case, it's irrelevant; he was already the president of the Church, and so already held the keys.

Okay. So he was already prophet. That makes sense.

But, regardless... those opposed still needs to be resolved. My understanding of sustaining votes is that it's not a democratic majority type of system.

Okay. So he was already prophet. That makes sense.

But, regardless... those opposed still needs to be resolved. My understanding of sustaining votes is that it's not a democratic majority type of system.

It really isn't a democratic system.  But it isn't an all-must-consent system either.  Those with they keys to set apart a person to the calling in question have the ultimate say in the matter.

On a local level, if a person were to oppose the sustaining of a bishop, the stake president would meet with the dissenter to determine the reason behind the opposition.  The stake president then has to decide if the reasoning is strong enough to prevent the sustaining ("that man had an affair with my wife last week") or not ("he wouldn't help me install my surround sound system, so he must not understand the meaning of service.")  If the stake president sees no reason to put a halt on the sustaining, the bishop may be sustained over the objections of the few.

In the case of the president of the church, the president of the Quorum of the Twelve would hear out the opposition.  If he felt there were a valid cause not to sustain the prophet, and he could gain the support of the entirety of his Quorum, then the Quorum of the Twelve could move not to sustain the prophet.  Such an action would likely precipitate excommunication of the prophet, however, and would probably require a very grievous and substantiated case for opposing the sustaining.

Let them oppose, I say. It will bring about a great discussion at the Ward level about the process and sustaining of our leaders. If people lose their faith over it, that probably would have happened for less anyway. 

Honestly, if I really opposed someone being sustained weather in a conference or a chapel, I most likely wouldn't raise my hand to oppose them during the meeting. I would take it up immediately afterwards though. 

I continue to be amazed at those who consider themselves to be faithful LDS, but who seek support and comfort for their issues of contention from secular media.  I read the OP article at the realclearreligion website.  In-house church battles are never pleasant, but when they get aired out in Caesar's arena, it is truly sad.

Edited by prisonchaplain