Sealing rooms not big enough

carlimac

I believe the point is that a 35-witness ordinance will occupy the ordinance room for a whole lot longer than will a 5-witness ordinance.

For maybe 15 to 30 minutes longer? Most people attending a sealing are there because it's a wedding. There are pictures to take, food to eat and a reception to attend. I doubt that extra 15 minutes is going to cause too much trouble.

M.

Edited by Maureen

For maybe 15 to 30 minutes longer? Most people attending a sealing are there because it's a wedding. There are pictures to take, food to eat and a reception to attend. I doubt that extra 15 minutes is going to cause too much trouble.

Not sure what your point is, Maureen. What you or I think is irrelevant. Neither of us sets the temple schedule. You appeared to be missing estradling's point, so I was trying to elucidate.

...The temple sealing is not primarily about my eternal bond to my first-cousin-once-removed, last-year's neighbor, or my old Deacon's Quorum Secretary.

I think carlimac is just wanting to have family on both sides to be able to attend the sealing. I don't remember her mentioning the Quorum Secretary. :)

I apologize for how this is going to sound, but . . . to Mormons who take their theology at face value, there are light-years of difference between a civil wedding and a sealing ceremony.  It has already proven highly problematic to take the cultural baggage of the former and try to project it onto the latter; and IMHO we need less such entanglement, not more.

Proven? Where?...on this thread? I understand that Mormons don't view wedding ceremonies the same way the majority of other religious and non-religious people do - as a celebration. And maybe that's the problem; as soon as you view celebrating something good and wonderful as baggage then it's time to question whether you are making the sealing into a duty rather than blessing.

M.

Not sure what your point is, Maureen. What you or I think is irrelevant. Neither of us sets the temple schedule. You appeared to be missing estradling's point, so I was trying to elucidate.

I am definitely missing estradling's point, that's why I'm asking the questions.

You guys are painting the picture of the Temple likes it's some sort of factory with an assembly line and family celebrations at the Temple are out of the question. I'm sure in the real world that Sealings at the Temple are very joyous. I have family that have been sealed at the Temple and all who were there (at the Temple and grounds) were very joyous. I am sure that there were more on the grounds then were invited into the Sealing Room, but at least my family sees the people just as important as the ceremony itself.

M.

I am definitely missing estradling's point, that's why I'm asking the questions.

Okay, that's fine. But you need to read the answers and think about them.

I believe that estradling's point is that a 35-witness ordinance will occupy the ordinance room for a whole lot longer than will a 5-witness ordinance.

Do you understand now?

(Note that it's irrelevant whether you agree with estradling's point, or whether you find it convincing.)

You guys are painting the picture of the Temple likes it's some sort of factory with an assembly line and family celebrations at the Temple are out of the question. I'm sure in the real world that Sealings at the Temple are very joyous. I have family that have been sealed at the Temple and all who were there (at the Temple and grounds) were very joyous. I am sure that there were more on the grounds then were invited into the Sealing Room, but at least my family sees the people just as important as the ceremony itself.

Us guys? Really?

Huh. And here I thought I had not expressed an opinion on the subject.

I'm sure in the real world that Sealings at the Temple are very joyous. I have family that have been sealed at the Temple and all who were there (at the Temple and grounds) were very joyous. I am sure that there were more on the grounds then were invited into the Sealing Room, but at least my family sees the people just as important as the ceremony itself.

And this is relevant to estradling's presumed point...how?

Yes sparkly lights.  After the new movies came out they added a feature to the creation room - lights all over the ceiling of the room that came on when "the stars" were put in the heavens. Like turning on the Christmas tree lights. I thought it was odd and completely unnecessary. It must have cost something. And IMHO, the acting in the new movies is a distraction. I prefer the old ones that moved along at a nice clip, got the message across and didn't have a soap opera element to them. Why did we need three new movies? Isn't that a bit much? An overzealous temple movie committee?  

Did you know that English is a very compact language?  That when this World-wide Church tries to present the Endowment in other languages while keeping of the pacing of the old endowment movies... They were very rushed (depending on the language) Thus by slowing down the pacing in English (and filling the gaps with acting) they can better accommodate other languages.  So that Saint's in other countries can have a less rushed experience...   But I suppose if that is to much of a waste of your time...  Then you will not be happy as long has someone else partaking of the required ordinances inconvenience you in any way.

You are murmuring like Laman and Lemuel  

But the preferred order would be to get married first before giving birth; and the celestial goal would be to have a temple sealing. If "families are forever" is the ultimate motto, why not show that true and make it possible for families to witness that celestial goal.

Human beings like to be a part of special occasions. Watching a couple get married is a joyous time. Whether the wedding or sealing ceremony is the one that is being witnessed doesn't really matter; it's the fact that people like to be a part of these joyous occasions.

M.

All what you're saying is not "incorrect" per se.

The problem with this though, is that the SEALING is the important part to FAMILIES ARE FOREVER. WITNESSING it is not part of it except for the 2 witnesses required for righteousness.

What the small sealing rooms in the temples imply is that, currently, the First Presidency has not had any instruction from the Lord to make WITNESSING a sealing an important aspect of the CELEBRATION.

But then, I never understood why WITNESSING the vows is something to fight about. The Celebration is the PARTY. I will have a few words for my cousins if they don't invite me to that...

Edited by anatess

I do think that witnessing is an important part of the ceremony, and I am glad the temples are designed to hold fairly large parties to witness a sealing. Marriage in western society has always been a public announcement; indeed, that is pretty much the definition of what "marriage" is. So I don't think the public witness a trivial or unimportant detail. My discomfort comes when we presume to instruct the Lord or his servants on what is best for the kingdom and its members.

What? So are you saying that ordinance work for the dead is more important than ordinance work for the living?

Of course not, on a one-for-one basis.  But the point is that if you consolidate two small sealing rooms to create one large one, you're taking a room out of circulation--not just while the large room is being used--but permanently (unless you use moveable walls, the drawbacks of which I've discussed above).  The question isn't whether one proxy sealing is as important as one live one.  The question is whether, given that the rooms are already large enough to accommodate immediate family members, several hundred proxy sealings per week are as important as the feelings of the extended family of the couple of dozen live ones (which live sealings would be happening anyways regardless of the room's size).

Proven? Where?...on this thread? I understand that Mormons don't view wedding ceremonies the same way the majority of other religious and non-religious people do - as a celebration. And maybe that's the problem; as soon as you view celebrating something good and wonderful as baggage then it's time to question whether you are making the sealing into a duty rather than blessing.

The problems are highlighted, for example, in the fact that non-Mormons can't attend such rituals at all. 

And, let's be careful how we word things.  Mormons don't say that weddings (whether in or out of the temple) shouldn't be celebrated; just that they need not be celebrated in the precise way that the broader society has chosen to celebrate them over the past few decades.  It's wonderful to have extended family at weddings.  On the other hand:  Not even my parents were there when I proposed to my wife.  My brother and sisters didn't see the birth of any of my kids.  When my daughter was baptized a few months ago, several of her cousins weren't there.  And, you know what?  Life went on.

I mean, put yourself in our shoes as Mormons.  Imagine that Moses--Moses!!!!--is telling you that a marriage needs to be solemnized a certain way.  And you find yourself grumbling about the guy--maybe even openly opposing him and threatening your family members that if they follow his advice and get married his way, their relationship with you will be irreparably harmed--because what Moses is telling you conflicts with your dearly held social traditions. 

If Moses is what he says he is, and you're willing to pick your traditions over his teachings and perhaps completely walk away from him and those of your loved ones who follow him if they don't indulge you--at such a point, those traditions have become baggage.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Of course not, on a one-for-one basis.  But the point is that if you consolidate two small sealing rooms to create one large one, you're taking a room out of circulation--not just while the large room is being used--but permanently (unless you use moveable walls, the drawbacks of which I've discussed above).  The question isn't whether one proxy sealing is as important as one live one.  The question is whether, given that the rooms are already large enough to accommodate immediate family members, several hundred proxy sealings per week are as important as the feelings of the extended family of the couple of dozen live ones (which live sealings would be happening anyways regardless of the room's size).

The problems are highlighted, for example, in the fact that non-Mormons can't attend such rituals at all. 

And, let's be careful how we word things.  Mormons don't say that weddings (whether in or out of the temple) shouldn't be celebrated; just that they need not be celebrated in the precise way that the broader society has chosen to celebrate them over the past few decades.  It's wonderful to have extended family at weddings.  On the other hand:  Not even my parents were there when I proposed to my wife.  My brother and sisters didn't see the birth of any of my kids.  When my daughter was baptized a few months ago, several of her cousins weren't there.  And, you know what?  Life went on.

I mean, put yourself in our shoes as Mormons.  Imagine that Moses--Moses!!!!--is telling you that a marriage needs to be solemnized a certain way.  And you find yourself grumbling about the guy--maybe even openly opposing him and threatening your family members that if they follow his advice and get married his way, their relationship with you will be irreparably harmed--because what Moses is telling you conflicts with your dearly held social traditions. 

If Moses is what he says he is, and you're willing to pick your traditions over his teachings and perhaps completely walk away from him and those of your loved ones who follow him if they don't indulge you--at such a point, those traditions have become baggage.

My parents were not there for our wedding/sealing/births of our children. But they were there for their baptisms - only because we held it at the ocean instead of the traditional ward building. So, yes, having parents over for big life events are important but not so important as to buck the limits of the House of the Lord. Fortunately, there's no limitation to holding a baptism on the ocean...

Did you know that English is a very compact language?  That when this World-wide Church tries to present the Endowment in other languages while keeping of the pacing of the old endowment movies... They were very rushed (depending on the language) Thus by slowing down the pacing in English (and filling the gaps with acting) they can better accommodate other languages.  So that Saint's in other countries can have a less rushed experience...   But I suppose if that is to much of a waste of your time...  Then you will not be happy as long has someone else partaking of the required ordinances inconvenience you in any way.

You are murmuring like Laman and Lemuel

I would have thought that anyone paying attention would know that. I heard it from a number of sources when the new movies came out. It's too bad people don't bother to find out the facts about something before they complain.

The new pacing is also a relief for those who struggle with physical issues and need more time to accomplish those physical thing required during the endowment.

I also don't understand the rush to just get it over with and get out of the temple as quickly as possible. Why be in a rush to leave such a beautiful, peaceful, sacred space?

And I just can't get aboard the bigger sealing rooms train. For a number of reasons, not the least of which is limiting opportunities for others just so a few can have large crowds at the sealing.

I converted from Judaism. Much of Judaism has strayed so far from the traditional, that it doesn't even look like Judaism any more and the ways of the world have been given too much importance. Some in the church are following that trend and I see less and less importance placed on the ordinance and more and more looking like any secular wedding, with the temple sealing as a distant after-thought or not even being bothered with at all.

But what do I know? I'm a convert and not from Utah so people tell me my opinion doesn't count.

Did you know that English is a very compact language?  That when this World-wide Church tries to present the Endowment in other languages while keeping of the pacing of the old endowment movies... They were very rushed (depending on the language) Thus by slowing down the pacing in English (and filling the gaps with acting) they can better accommodate other languages.  So that Saint's in other countries can have a less rushed experience...  

English doesn't necessarily need to be particularly compact. Translations often take more space/time than the original. Even skilled translators can find themselves having to take a two or three word idiom and turn it into a sentence to properly communicate the meaning fully in another language. Also consider if you want to do a standard video that it needs to account for the translation that takes the longest for each particular scene. If German needs an extra 5 seconds for a scene, Spanish an extra 23 seconds , and Norwegian an extra 13 seconds it doesn't really mater if the audio is actually shorter in Japanese ( compared to English ), the scene needs to give room for the 23 seconds extra needed by the Spanish audio.

Edited by Dravin

I suppose I can see both sides. I'm a convert from a family with a very varied selection of faiths. I've seen all sorts of weddings and by and large they're just great. I love a big wedding of a cultural celebration. I've also been privy to some very intimate ceremonies.

To me, it is what it is. Sure, I'm not going to fight it if suddenly all sealing rooms were enlarged and I would see how that would make people happy. But, right now, sealing rooms are only so big.

Therefore, couples (and families?) have a choice: have a sealing in the temple with remembrance of your covenants with God; or have your whatever wedding and get sealed a year or so later. (I am of the school that a sealing is a sealing is a sealing, whenever it takes place.)

I don't know if this is the right time to be demanding a big cultural celebration and a temple sealing all in one go.

I'm sure if the First Presidency wanted to, they could order what have you to happen to a few, some, or all sealing rooms. But, they haven't. carlimac, I know you're just asking why they aren't bigger and beyond a few uneducated guesses I haven't the slightest idea.

But when we drag in discussions of the importance of culture, I think we're moving a little too far from the question.

Sealing rooms aren't bigger because they aren't.  That's about the long and short of it.

We are welcome to have a sealing followed by whatever crazy party we want. And while I realize it's not encouraged, we are all allowed to have our big cultural family celebration wedding followed by a sealing whenever later. It's not like we don't have choices.

I'm frankly surprised at the animosity this has brought out. It's one thing to be trying to help the OP figure out why this is the way it is. And another all together to be blaming this question on ego, pettiness and likening the OP to Laman and Lemuel. Nice support and compassion some of you express. (Not)

It may not be a concern YOU yourself have ever had to face. But it can be one that causes great anguish as family is sifted out and crossed off the list. It can be truly heart wrenching. And I frankly can't think of or have heard of a single explanation that  makes sense.  It sort of casts a shadow over the supposed bliss of the long awaited day of a temple wedding. 

This is not just my issue. It's been a concern for many families for as long as I can remember. My uncle almost defected completely from my own wedding festivities when my cousin wasn't invited to the temple wedding.   My sister had similar complaints at hers. My nephew married a girl who has 10 uncles and 10 aunts just on one side of her family. As a result one of my sons was invited to the sealing and the other wasn't.  I've heard this over and over again - literally my whole life. We have a family in our ward with 11 children and the father comes from a family of 11 children. You'd just think ... well you all get the idea by now. 

My discomfort comes when we presume to instruct the Lord or his servants on what is best for the kingdom and its members.

This is completely off topic from the original post, but a question occurred to me as read the above. To be sure, it would be wrong to presume to instruct the Lord or His servants on what is best for the kingdom and its members, but I wonder how often the Lord, or His servants, has an open mind on some issues, and is willing to make His decisions based on what is asked of Him through prayer? (I'm not suggesting that the size of sealing rooms is one of those things on which He might have an open mind)

I'm frankly surprised at the animosity this has brought out. It's one thing to be trying to help the OP figure out why this is the way it is. And another all together to be blaming this question on ego, pettiness and likening the OP to Laman and Lemuel. Nice support and compassion some of you express. (Not)

It may not be a concern YOU yourself have ever had to face. But it can be one that causes great anguish as family is sifted out and crossed off the list. It can be truly heart wrenching. And I frankly can't think of or have heard of a single explanation that  makes sense.  It sort of casts a shadow over the supposed bliss of the long awaited day of a temple wedding. 

This is not just my issue. It's been a concern for many families for as long as I can remember. My uncle almost defected completely from my own wedding festivities when my cousin wasn't invited to the temple wedding.   My sister had similar complaints at hers. My nephew married a girl who has 10 uncles and 10 aunts just on one side of her family. As a result one of my sons was invited to the sealing and the other wasn't.  I've heard this over and over again - literally my whole life. We have a family in our ward with 11 children and the father comes from a family of 11 children. You'd just think ... well you all get the idea by now. 

Its not that we don't understand your concern...  But when you take to level where you attack the Leaders of the church's judgement in everything from size of the room, to lights, to length of the endowment film, to the number of films to the acting in the films...  Well you are clearing letting your pain overwhelm any semblance of good judgement...  And one should be called on poor judgement in this case because they clearly can't see past the pain.

Its not that we don't understand your concern...  But when you take to level where you attack the Leaders of the church's judgement in everything from size of the room, to lights, to length of the endowment film, to the number of films to the acting in the films...  Well you are clearing letting your pain overwhelm any semblance of good judgement...  And one should be called on poor judgement in this case because they clearly can't see past the pain.

Huh? Now I'm attacking the leaders? Oh boy. Personal opinions are now attacks.  :rolleyes:

Animosity from who?  The animosity you are feeling towards the church and it's leaders because you don't like the way they handle sealings?  And apparently a whole host of other things.....you don't like the length of the movies, you don't like the content, the acting.....you don't like the temple sealings....the list seems endless.

Why does everything have to be to your own personal satisfaction?  It seems the only "explanation" you would accept is the church saying "Whoops, we got it wrong. Your wants are more important".

I understand that some people have a desperate need to be at every family wedding.  I may not understand the why of it, but I.....and a whole bunch of other people here....understand that that desire exists.  But why should your desire trump other people's needs and desires?  Why should it trump what Heavenly Father has guided his church leaders to do?  When you are basically saying the church has this, that and the other thing all wrong, well, yeah that does come across as attacking the leaders.  I don't understand your surprise at that.

And it boggles my mind that people who grew up in the church have so much trouble coping with the way sealings are done, which includes the (I am sure carefully and prayerfully chosen) size of the sealing rooms. It's not like it's new information.  Not judging right or wrong....just saying I really don't get it.

Sometimes we just have to be humble and accept things the way they are and trust Heavenly Father and his chosen leaders and accept they know and understand things that we don't (or don't yet).   There's a couple of things in the church that make me cranky.  But I try to remind myself that Heavenly Father certainly knows what he is doing, and the leaders are certainly smarter than I am, and that maybe someday what I don't like now or what doesn't make sense to me now, will make sense to me later.

Carlimac, we are empathetic. Plenty of people have come across this problem. But I e also known couples who simply want to get sealed who are forced through the drama of trying to please everyone in the family, so they don't offend anyone. You speak from the family perspective and your feelings are valid, but the family's feelings should never trump the wishes of the bride and groom. Not saying that's the case here, but in a culture where the celebration is largely the wedding day rather than the sealing a bride and groom should not have to deal with the drama of relatives threatening to abandon them over who gets to witness what. It's not loving, it's not caring, and it ignores the feelings of a couple who, let's face it, matter the most that day.

This is ridiculous, are you that close to your aunts and uncles? who you probably see 2-3x a year? really? are you that tight with ALL of those cousins? Unlikely. 

It's ego and not wanting to hurt feelings of people who feel entitled, or want the outward display of righteousness. You said you haven't heard a single response that makes sense as to why they don't have bigger sealing rooms....your post answers your own question. People get small and petty when it comes to this stuff. "my uncle almost defected from my festivities because my cousin wasn't invited to the temple" with that attitude your uncle shouldn't have been invited to the temple....... Please stop it have some eternal perspective on the sacredness of the ordinance.

Huh? Now I'm attacking the leaders? Oh boy. Personal opinions are now attacks.  :rolleyes:

And what exactly do you think that the Murmuring Laman and Lemuel did was?   Oh right that was sharing their "Personal opinions" about the actions of their Local leaders.  Please note that this was beyond asking questions, because even Nephi turned to the Lord with questions, about why they were leaving.  However Laman and Lemuel never found the answers to be good enough so they murmured and picked apart every little thing that the leaders did from that point on.

You are starting down the very same path that Laman and Lemuel did

This is ridiculous, are you that close to your aunts and uncles? who you probably see 2-3x a year? really? are you that tight with ALL of those cousins? Unlikely. 

It's ego and not wanting to hurt feelings of people who feel entitled, or want the outward display of righteousness. You said you haven't heard a single response that makes sense as to why they don't have bigger sealing rooms....your post answers your own question. People get small and petty when it comes to this stuff. "my uncle almost defected from my festivities because my cousin wasn't invited to the temple" with that attitude your uncle shouldn't have been invited to the temple....... Please stop it have some eternal perspective on the sacredness of the ordinance.

Carlimac, we are empathetic. Plenty of people have come across this problem. But I e also known couples who simply want to get sealed who are forced through the drama of trying to please everyone in the family, so they don't offend anyone. You speak from the family perspective and your feelings are valid, but the family's feelings should never trump the wishes of the bride and groom. Not saying that's the case here, but in a culture where the celebration is largely the wedding day rather than the sealing a bride and groom should not have to deal with the drama of relatives threatening to abandon them over who gets to witness what. It's not loving, it's not caring, and it ignores the feelings of a couple who, let's face it, matter the most that day.

I think we need to tread carefully when it comes to families. Sure, we have the couple that has a few family members and/or friends at a tiny courthouse ceremony, but remember that at least in western culture family is a big, big part of the wedding day.

Should the day be about the bride and groom? Of course. But, for better or for worse, family usually comes with the territory and it does behoove the bride and groom to be diplomatic with the family.

LDS sealings are merely one type of wedding in a country full of family-focused celebrations. It can be difficult to separate the two desires.

Other than that, I do agree with much of these posts as far as the temple sealing goes.

Edited by Litzy

Families are forever - and it you stop to think about it sealing a couple is not just about them.  It is about their family and the truth is that their family goes back and forth in time and touches billions of individuals.  We work very hard to bring families together - not to find excuses to leave someone out.   Temples are about families and we work endlessly not to leave anyone out --- EVER.

There is no doctrine as to the max to invite to the temple.  Sorry to those that think otherwise.  The max is determined by local codes based on exits and room size.  Changing the room size is only part of the problem - fire codes for example have other requirements.  It is not just a choice by the general authorities.

As of today there are limits imposed.  The Church has to comply with local codes and I am sure has not plotted against Uncle Phil or Aunt Jane in large families.  The best we can do is deal with the parameters we are given.  Good individuals in good families will do the best they can and move on with life - there are worse things in life than not being able to attend a favorite relatives special moment.  We can be sad but we can and should be concerned but deal with it and continue our lives the best we can.

Oh my goodness! I feel sorrowful about having to eliminate cousins from the sealing ( who happen to be some of my daughter's closest friends) and I'm accused of complaining like  a couple of thugs who tied their brother up and left him for dead?? 

I don't happen to feel comfortable with the acting in the new movies and wondering why three new movies were necessary and I'm accused of attacking leaders?  

I'm told to "move on with life"?  

Bridezilla? Because she would like to have her best friends in the temple with her when she gets married?

I make what sounds like a simple solution to a fairly routine, simple problem and I'm treated like I'm apostatizing? 

This makes me laugh. Believe me, this is NOT my whole life. I think y'all are more worried about me fretting about this than I am. Honestly people.  Let's get some perspective here. I feel so much defensiveness about this from so many.  Try to take a look at how this would appear to outsiders. Embarrassing really when it's a common sense issue. Why wouldn't you want your loved ones with you at this important step in your life?And yet because of small rooms they are relegated to the punch bowl at the reception. Just seems weird.

This is NOTHING like asking for gay marriage or women holding the priesthood. I'm not petitioning the authorities for anything. I'm not standing up in conference to oppose the leaders.  I'm simply asking why the sealing rooms are so small when Mormon families are often huge.

Edited by carlimac