Exploring the LDS

Catlick

Hi everyone,

I am a born and raised Catholic who has spent most of my life questioning my faith. Now I am a mother of two, and have moved to a town with a small but active LDS community, some of whom I've become friends with. Two things speak to me: How refreshing it is to see the way they live their faith every moment of every day, and that there are some doctrinal issues that I've alway held and am surprised to see held by the LDS faith (preexistence of the soul, a letting go of the Trinity doctrine, a focus on good works rather than the sola scriptura model, etc). These things all speak to me, and I have been fascinated with the LDS faith but have not yet stepped up to asking my friends if I can join them sometime. I have asked them a lot of questions, and I've attended social events, but I still haven't actually been to an LDS Sunday service.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Joining the church seems to be a HUGE committment as far as tithing (my husband is agnostic and completely supportive of whereever I land religious-wise), volunteer work, children and adult faith formation classes, etc. I just don't know if I'm ready to invest, and I'm still half-heartedly attending my Catholic church. I'm feeling so torn, so lonely, so lost in my search for the truth. Any advice?

For starters, welcome to the site and (more excitingly) welcome to exploring the LDS faith!

Hi everyone,

I am a born and raised Catholic who has spent most of my life questioning my faith. Now I am a mother of two, and have moved to a town with a small but active LDS community, some of whom I've become friends with. Two things speak to me: How refreshing it is to see the way they live their faith every moment of every day, and that there are some doctrinal issues that I've alway held and am surprised to see held by the LDS faith (preexistence of the soul, a letting go of the Trinity doctrine, a focus on good works rather than the sola scriptura model, etc). These things all speak to me, and I have been fascinated with the LDS faith but have not yet stepped up to asking my friends if I can join them sometime. I have asked them a lot of questions, and I've attended social events, but I still haven't actually been to an LDS Sunday service.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Joining the church seems to be a HUGE committment as far as tithing (my husband is agnostic and completely supportive of whereever I land religious-wise), volunteer work, children and adult faith formation classes, etc. I just don't know if I'm ready to invest, and I'm still half-heartedly attending my Catholic church. I'm feeling so torn, so lonely, so lost in my search for the truth. Any advice?

I'll be happy to address your questions and/or concerns, as I'm sure your LDS friends would too.  

It's great that you realize that being LDS is not a 1-hour-a-week faith.  Properly done, it is a relationship with Christ that goes 24/7/365.  However, don't let that scare you: a relationship with God takes time to grow and strengthen.  We have a saying, from the Book of Mormon, that goes:

"Thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom”

In other words, God teaches up in baby steps, not excepting us to run right away.  Even those little baby steps come with such blessings!  And when we'll ready for more, He'll gives us more.  God never expects us to do more than we can.

My husband is not LDS (nor active in any church), so I relate to your concerns about over-taxing any family time/relationships/money.  My husband is great: he supports me when I take the kid church and is cool having people over occasionally.  To respect family time, I don't take any volunteer positions that are uber-time consuming and I am flexible on attending "extra" events: like my husband has midterms this week so I'm not going to the women's activity.  Many (if not most) church activities are completely optional.  

I'd recommend that you sit in on a Sunday service, what we call "Sacrament meeting".  It's just an hour, and if you don't like it you can leave early- no one's barring the doors or anything.  You don't have to partake of the bread and water either.  If after Sacrament meeting you want to leave before Sunday School, that's cool too. Take things at the pace you're comfortable with.

Another piece of advice: scripture reading rocks!!  Free downloads of the Bible, Book of Mormon, or any other Mormon-ish thing you could want are found here: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/formats.  Or if you'd rather have a paper-copy, just ask your LDS friend and/or church for one-- they literally just hand them out.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more!

-Jane

Edited by Jane_Doe

I'm feeling so torn, so lonely, so lost in my search for the truth.

That's really what it boils down to isn't it? A search for truth. Because ultimately the "tithing, volunteer work, children and adult faith formation classes, etc." are just foam and froth if the underlying foundation isn't true.

Joseph Smith either saw God and Jesus Christ and spoke with them, or he was a monumental liar. 

He either restored and established the true Church of God under the direction of the Savior, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a colossal fraud.

The Book of Mormon is either a true record of God’s dealings with an ancient civilization that existed on this continent, or it is nothing but a tremendous hoax.

The authority to act in God's name (Priesthood) held anciently by Peter, James and John was either bestowed upon Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery by those same three individuals, or our claim to the Priesthood is a complete and utter fabrication.

You wrote, "I'm not sure where to go from here."

My suggestion would be to meet with the missionaries, follow their counsel, read the Book of Mormon; and while doing these things pray regularly to our father in Heaven and ask Him if these things are true. 
As the prophet Moroni wrote: "if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."

I want you to know that I KNOW these things are true. I haven't the slightest doubt of it. I have personally put Moroni's admonition to the test and I did in fact receive a manifestation that they are true. 

If you are genuinely and sincerely looking for the truth I promise you that God will likewise answer your prayers.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. Jane, your advice on baby steps and simply just reading the scriptures is so very helpful to hear. It is an overwhelming prospect, but if it is the direction that God wants me to take, I'm sure each step will happen more and more easily.

Capitalist_Oinker (LOL), I really appreciate your words. So much to think about. And yes, I debate whether or not the LDS is true, or whether I'm better off staying Catholic. It helps so much to hear other testimonies and personal experiences. I will get a copy of the Book of Mormon and pray on it.

My husband is not LDS (nor active in any church), so I relate to your concerns about over-taxing any family time/relationships/money.

Huh. I've been assuming all this time that you were JohnDoe's wife.

Hello and welcome.  Its a pleasure to be able to get to know  you.  I have been a member o the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints for 35 yrs now.  I want you to know that my membership is the best gift that I have been given!!  Sunday is the best day of my week, also anytime Im at the temple is my best days as well.  Id suggest you ask your friends if  you can attend church with them.  Im sure your friends will be very happy that you asked and will be happy to share more of the gospel with  you.  LIke others have said baby steps are the way to go, don't be so hard on yourself....God is in control...Hence you see you have been blessed to have LDS friends....God has put them in your path.....its a blessing....after 35 yrs I know a lot more then I did when I joined....but still do not know it all.....It takes a life time and more to continue to learn and grow and its all worth it. After sacrament  meeting, theres a wonderful sunday school class for investigators and new members a few older members go as well...Its a wonderful class teaches the basic's.   When you are ready you can take the missionary lessons....who knows maybe  your husband will join you in this...miracles do happen...!!....

It is a good thing that you are opened minded and searching, pray to  God(Heavenly Father) pour out your thoughts to  him, your concerns, ask Him questions, etc...etc...He is very much aware of you, you are His daughter and I want you to know that He loves you sooo very much.....more then we can even comprehend.....Im here for you as well, Im sure all of us here are....though I want you to know I am not on the site very often...so if you want you can message me....here.....and when I get on here and see it ill reply....

Best wishes on your wonderful journey........ :)

Edited by Roseslipper

Hi everyone,

Welcome to our little forum.  I am an engineer and scientist (automation robotics and artificial intelligence) - I am also devout LDS (Mormon).  If your husband has a propensity for logic it would be very easy to become anti-religion based on the abundance of rhetorically conflicting doctrines in many religion - some as you have expressed already in the eternal nature of the human sole.  I would submit that Jesus utilized empirical evidences in his teachings as well as rhetorical logic in his parables and doctrines and initiated the first conflict between true science (truth) and the religion (Pharisees and Scribes) of his day.

Traveler, it is so good to hear that you are a 'science type' like my husband. Him and I make a good team, as I make emotional decisions while he is very rational. We keep one another balanced! We've talked about religion, and while he has no faith tradition, he has a huge respect for our LDS friends and those he had as childhood friends. He is very supportive of any volunteer work I do with the LDS community and really likes the fact that our kids' best friends are Mormon. In other words, he has only good things to say about your faith and community. However, he struggles with belief in God at all, let alone a whole doctrinal faith, so it would be a miracle to me if he became involved! But we shall see!

Traveler, it is so good to hear that you are a 'science type' like my husband. Him and I make a good team, as I make emotional decisions while he is very rational. We keep one another balanced! We've talked about religion, and while he has no faith tradition, he has a huge respect for our LDS friends and those he had as childhood friends. He is very supportive of any volunteer work I do with the LDS community and really likes the fact that our kids' best friends are Mormon. In other words, he has only good things to say about your faith and community. However, he struggles with belief in God at all, let alone a whole doctrinal faith, so it would be a miracle to me if he became involved! But we shall see!

From a strict rational progression I can argue (quite rhetorically) that if a G-d does not exist that such an intelligent and capable being will quite possibly evolve - especially as intelligence becomes an ever increasing factor even in our own evolution.  The problem I find among almost all of my agnostic associates is that the elements of G-d as they generally understand in religions with which they are familiar is so rhetorically flawed that they reject the traditional concepts of a creator based somewhat in the fantastic elements of magic.

The LDS concept that as man is - G-d once was and as G-d is man may become; is often such a surprise that it takes a while for the thought to settle.  But as I have said many time - Jesus is our best and only example of G-d and proves the notion.  For as man is Jesus once was - and as Jesus is (resurrected divine) man may become.

I wish you well in you quest both as the individual that your are and as husband and wife - which is the gateway to the greatest destiny to which humans can aspire.

• 2 weeks later...

I was baptized, first communion and confirmation.  Did all my catechism classes.  Attended catholic school until 2nd grade.  It took the kissing of the Arch Bishop's ring for me to question my catholism.  Just read my intro once it is posted for my testimony.  The most comforting and calming principle in the church for me is the fact that it is line upon line and precept upon precept.  It means Father in Heaven does not expect me to understand everything at once.  I'm still growing and often feel like a toddler or an adolescent.  Just keep finding out what you need to so you can make a decision from your heart and not from peer pressure.  Prayer helps.

Kissing a Bishop's ring is a sign of respect toward his authority. It is no different than when Americans rise when the President enters a room, or when the British rise when the Queen of England enters a room, or when those present rise when a Judge enters the Court Room, or when the Head of any State enters a room.

I actually have no issue with the kissing the ring thing, it was just doing that put me on the trail of "finding the true church" or the church I kept reading about in the new testament.    There were several things about the Catholic church which I found grounding and comforting. (the rosary, the way of the cross, the beautiful vaulted ceilings, all the symbolistic rituals of Sunday Mass and Wednesday devotions.  I contemplated becoming active in the Catholic church at one time before being baptized Latter Day Saint.  My husband at that time was not having any of that.  It was just a contemplation so I agreed with him.

Anyway, it was a turning point in my teen life.  I attended several church and 12 step groups along the way to joining the Latter Day Saints.

• 3 weeks later...

As some of  you know I started out as a Catholic. 

I'm now about one month into twice a week or so lessons with the missionaries and attending services on Sunday, which includes Gospel Principles and Priesthood class.

I think if you were questioning Catholicism, you may end up questioning TCOJCOLDS also. 

You have to take it on faith.  That's what faith is, something you believe without proof.

So doubt is doubt anywhere.

And faith and obedience is the same anywhere.

For me the big difference is the involvement. 

I think you should look a lot more at the LDS.  They have nice meetinghouses and much nicer Temples, nicer than the Catholic church, really. 

I think.

I'm going to Utah and Salt Lake City next month, and also Payson for the new Temple.  I've seen the Salt Lake City Temple before, but let me go again and report.

Catholic church sometimes has nice music, but not every week, like LDS.  And the Catholics don't have anything to compare to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  They were my mothers favorite.

dc

Edited by David13