The evils of photoshop, Tolkien-pedancy and work-procrastination

Jamie123

It was cool reading the Silmarillion.  Galadriel was a naughty, naughty teenager.  The elvish version of "stealing dad's car and crashing it into a tree" is quite impressive.

Now she be all standin' there like "oh look at me I'm all the embodiment of goodness and purity" and we be all "snicker".

The man's name was "Celeborn", pronounced with a hard "c" (i.e. "ke-le-born"). It is often mispronounced with a soft "c", which I assume must have been the case in the animated version referenced. You would think his wife of 5,000 years would know how to say his name correctly.

And you have to read the Silmarillion to know what the heck I'm talking about.  

I've read much of it, but it's been more than 20 years, so I don't recall a lot of what I read there.

(Unlike the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which were much more memorable.)

Thanks Neuro and Vort for filling me in.

Now that that is out of the way, what does "pedancy" mean?

The OP made a slight mistake (unless it's some UK variant), it's pedantry not pedancy ( ;)). The root word is pedant.

You're quite right Dravin: some people do say "Pedancy" but (as I now confirm from Google) the proper word is "Pedantry".

And yes, I know this is ironic as I'm taking a dig at Ralph Bakshi for mispronouncing his Sindarin. (Motes and beams etc.)

I actually quite like Bakshi's LOTR (which makes me a heretic I know, but I've already exposed that by admitting to liking David Lynch's Dune). I think Bakshi's "Mirror of Galadriel" scene is much better than Jackson's. And I don't care that Galadriel looks like a Disney princess! Annette Crosby provides the perfect queenly voice, so long as you keep One Foot in the Grave out of your head when you listen to her.

By comparison Cate Blanchet overacts the part. And what was the deal with turning her into....well I don't quite know how to describe what they turned her into (some sort of wicked ghost/witch?) but it certainly did nothing for me.

As for Ralph Bakshi's Treebeard though....

lotrbakshi26.jpg

Did Fimbrethil tell him to go get his nose clipped?

Edited by Jamie123

I've already exposed that by admitting to liking David Lynch's Dune

Well now you've just lost all credibility.  

I, on the other hand, am partial to Jodorowsky's Dune from the 1970's.   Salvador Dalí, David Carradine, Mick Jagger and Orson Welles.  Now THAT's a Dune movie.

19gtlwvjq9sphjpg.jpg

Edited by NeuroTypical

Well now you've just lost all credibility.  

I, on the other hand, am partial to Jodorowsky's Dune from the 1970's.   Salvador Dalí, David Carradine, Mick Jagger and Orson Welles.  Now THAT's a Dune movie.

19gtlwvjq9sphjpg.jpg

with concept artwork by giger... who was dismissed from the project before things were getting built... but there are still a few elements that make their way through in the movie that evoke his style.

And if you ever want a chair that would be good for a halloween party you ought to look up his Harkonnen chair..

Edited by Blackmarch