Sharing testimony with Evangelical MIL

Jane_Doe

A little bit of a story with a happy ending to share--

For me, the most difficult part about being in an interfaith marriage is not the non-member husband, but handling the evangelical mother-in-law that comes with him.  When hubby and I started dating, MIL was a huge fan of me… except for my “Mormon problem”.  Needless to say religion has been a rocky subject.

To learn about Mormonism, MIL signed up for a class on the subject at her church, entitled “Mormonism and the Evil Cults” (or something like that).  She got a lot of bad information, and doesn’t really listen to what I say because she honestly thinks I’m brainwashed and hell-bound (roll eyes). Though, to be fair to her, I haven’t been perfect on the issue (like not inviting her far enough in advance to baby girl’s blessing). 

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to celebrate: last night we chatted and had a great discussion sharing testimonies.  I learned a lot more about her and feel that she learned a lot more about me.  Not only did she not stone me for sharing me testimony, she liked it!  I’m still kind of in “wow” shock….

Just wanted to share good news with you all J.

Edited by Jane_Doe

I think it's such a wonderful progression when two people with completely different views on things can find a respect for each other. I remember my husband and I went on a trip with my parents, and we rode on a gondola with another family, they were Buddhist. The ride was almost an hour, maybe just under, so naturally conversation started. It was neat to see my parents (who are LDS) and the parents of the other family share their culture and beliefs, asking sincere questions, and listening to each other. 

A little bit of a story with a happy ending to share--

For me, the most difficult part about being in an interfaith marriage is not the non-member husband, but handling the evangelical mother-in-law that comes with him.  When hubby and I started dating, MIL was a huge fan of me… except for my “Mormon problem”.  Needless to say religion has been a rocky subject.

To learn about Mormonism, MIL signed up for a class on the subject at her church, entitled “Mormonism and the Evil Cults” (or something like that).  She got a lot of bad information, and doesn’t really listen to what I say because she honestly thinks I’m brainwashed and hell-bound (roll eyes). Though, to be fair to her, I haven’t been perfect on the issue (like not inviting her far enough in advance to baby girl’s blessing). 

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to celebrate: last night we chatted and had a great discussion sharing testimonies.  I learned a lot more about her and feel that she learned a lot more about me.  Not only did she not stone me for sharing me testimony, she liked it!  I’m still kind of in “wow” shock….

Just wanted to share good news with you all J.

Enjoyed reading that...thanks for sharing. Keep praying that her heart will continue to soften

I believe the biggest problem in having religious discussions with other faiths is centered around just a few things.

1. When they are ignorant to basic constructs of their own beliefs.

2. When they are incapable or resentful of introspection especially when it come to their chosen religion.

3. Do not understand that the "Golden Rule" taught by Christ applies to the criticism of others sacred religious beliefs.

I believe the biggest problem in having religious discussions with other faiths is centered around just a few things.

1. When they are ignorant to basic constructs of their own beliefs.

2. When they are incapable or resentful of introspection especially when it come to their chosen religion.

3. Do not understand that the "Golden Rule" taught by Christ applies to the criticism of others sacred religious beliefs.

Wise post (as usual Traveler).  It needs one addition though:

4.  When situations are not approached with prayer and charity.