Reliable Sources

serapha

Some of us have a real testimony that the Book of Mormon is true, so no matter what you quote, those of us with the testimony are going to dismiss it if it's not in agreeance with what we know to be true. You can't understand that because you haven't read it, or prayed about it. Instead, you just keep trying to find fault with every little thing.

AFDaw,

My apologies that reading the bom in the light of historical evidences is offensive. I assume then, that the LDS's that I do quote don't have the testimony that you do; therefore your complaint is with their testimony and not that I am quoting them.

~serapha~

Originally posted by serapha@Mar 30 2004, 09:02 AM

AFDaw,

My apologies that reading the bom in the light of historical evidences is offensive.  I assume then, that the LDS's that I do quote don't have the testimony that you do; therefore your complaint is with their testimony and not that I am quoting them. 

~serapha~

Show me where I said that reading the BoM in the "light of historical evidence"is offensive.

You can quote all the people in the world who say "Lehi should not have had tents to go into the wilderness" and it's not going to make me say "Oh wow...You're right. The BoM is therefore false." I don't care who they are. My testimony, that the BoM is true is far more real and powerful then the all the evidence you can provide to say otherwise.

Originally posted by AFDaw@Mar 30 2004, 10:14 AM

AFDaw,

You are entitled to your testimony. My goal is to learn while I am here, not to convert anyone's thinking.

So, we are back to...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi there!

To preclude a deluge of criticism, could you, the members of the CoJCoLDS, provide me with a listing of reliable sources on the book of mormon.

Names of people who are reliable authors or critics, or names of published works would be good.

~serapha~

Hi there!

That's N-i-b-l-e-y

and I have cited him...

"Nibley writes that in the ancient languages of Egyptian, arabic, and Hebrew, that the Hebrew word for "borders" is cognated into the other languages.--border meaning mountains..."

And I just looked at the author listing for FARMS, and Brant Gardner is good enough to write for FARMS, one member of this forum said about Brant Gardner, one of the top apologetics people for the LDS's..... "I don't know who Brant Gardner is, but his site is full of nothing but supposition."

Okay... everyone's entitled to an opinion. I have only used recognized persons in apologetics for the LDS's, else people they have quoted. As long as I am doing that, I think that those who don't have a clue should just read and learn.

When I stray off LDS materials and writers, then post your criticisms.

~thanks~

~serapha~

Originally posted by serapha@Mar 30 2004, 06:48 PM

When I stray off LDS materials and writers, then post your criticisms.

So you're saying that all members have to agree 100% of the time on everything?

Sorry, that doesn't happen. Members on this forum alone disagree all the time.

Mercy,

I do regret beginning this thread. I thought there might be a common source, but I see that there isn't, nor will there ever be.

Just as in all Christian faiths, there is discord withing the ranks, without agreement on passage interpretations.

~thanks~

It's just odd for someone to want other resources on a book that they have not read themselves.....

It's like asking for a critique of the Bible without ever having read it. :blink:

Why trust a third-party source without forming one's own opinions based on first-hand study first?

Maybe it's just me...........

Originally posted by Outshined@Mar 30 2004, 07:09 PM

It's just odd for someone to want other resources on a book that they have not read themselves.....

It's like asking for a critique of the Bible without ever having read it. :blink:

Why trust a third-party source without forming one's own opinions based on first-hand study first?

Maybe it's just me...........

It's not just you. Several have mentioned that before.

Serapha, what are you intentions with these discussions? To try to prove the BoM wrong? To try to understant it? To try to gain a testimony of it? What? I'm asking seriously, no joking at all. It appears that you're trying to prove it's wrong. And coming off like that you can't expect those of us with a sincere testimony that it's true to take that lightly.

Saphara,

May I suggest "Our Search For Happiness" by Ballard. It is a part of the Missionary Library (meaning missionaries are supposed to have it on them and read it). It is a great short explaination of what we believe. It isn't for the purposes of converting, but for understanding, as explained in the intro.

It puts our beliefs in very simple terms (because our doctrine IS pretty simple. There are those who go WAY into it and try to understand every little thing, but really, once it becomes daily life for a person, it is simple, not complicated). It is a small book, easy to read.

Its target audience are those who want to know more about the Church, not one who wishes to see proof for it.

If you want a good book that takes our doctrine and explains it and proves it through scripture, you may want to read "A Marvelous Work and Wonder" by Legrande Richards. This book is about the length of a novel. It is great at explaining our doctrines and proving that our doctrines are not contradictory to the Bible.

I would still urge you to read the book of Mormon for may reasons.

1)I believe if you prayerfully read it with pure intentions, you will gain a testimony of its truth.

2) The best way to learn more about a Church is to reads its scriptures.

3) It is improbable that there are any number of books that could be read that includes everything that is included on our scriptures. You might as well just read it, if you are going to take the time to read all the other books.

May I ask, why don't you just read it? Is it the language that troubles you? I am not trying to offend. I just simply want to know.

In any case, I really believe that those two above-mentioned books would be a good start for you.

As an after-thought, I'd like to say that all these other books are great to read once one has read the scriptures. These books are there to help one understand the scriptures better, not to be read in its stead.

broadway