My gay best friend wants me to attend his wedding

Posted · Hidden by Just_A_Guy, March 22, 2015 - Duplicate
Hidden by Just_A_Guy, March 22, 2015 - Duplicate

Thank you for your response. Prayer and scripture study is a given for me, but answers don't always come at once. Sometimes it takes time and while I wait and ponder I try to seek advice from others who may have more wisdom than me. I take your advice in consideration and not as absolute answers, I will find those with the guidance of the Spirit. I am grateful for the advice you all give me, it really helps.

Thank you for your response. Prayer and scripture study is a given for me, but answers don't always come at once. Sometimes it takes time and while I wait and ponder I try to seek advice from others who may have more wisdom than me. I take your advice in consideration and not as absolute answers, I will find those with the guidance of the Spirit. I am grateful for the advice you all give me, it really helps.

If my best friend was gay and was getting married, he/she would know what my understanding of marriage is, he/she would not put me in such a compromising situation where I would have to choose to be part of something I do not support.  I would personally attend as he/she is my best friend but I would not take an active part in any ceremony, which being the best man would do. 

Magus, that was part of my point.  We know, from our own ecclesiastical history, that there are situations where a "teenaged marriage" might not be objectionable at all on any absolute moral basis; but we still shrink at the notion of approving of or participating in such a ceremony.  In spite of our relationship with the party involved, we always disapprove of and refuse to participate in, teenaged marriages.  But because of our relationship with the party involved, in the eyes of some, we must now always approve of, and participate in, gay marriages--even though the latter are always wrong; and the former are sometimes not wrong at all. 

This inconsistency is not, to my mind, a product of what God deems to be right or wrong; or the importance of maintaining good relations with friends and family.  It is, rather, a product of our having bought into worldly notions that, to a greater or lesser degree, gay sex isn't really that bad.

The other facet of my point, of course, was this notion; which I find bizarre; that we have a Christian duty to participate in an abominable rite in the name of "standing with" and "loving and supporting" the sinner.  Omegaseamaster's obvious revulsion at playing an integral role at a teenaged wedding, even if one of the parties was a loved one, is proof that even (s)he acknowledges that there are limits to what accommodations an unrepentant sinner can demand in the name of "compassion", "love" and "support".

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Old Testament Jesus would bring down fire and brimstone and burn them all. New Testament Jesus would love and forgive.

Wasn't that God that did those things in the Old Testament?

Okay I accidently deleted my post instead of editing. But I will concede to what is posted in the link.

But I think you were walking a fine line in false doctrine when you first stated there was more than one Jesus.  We already have enough critics that say we follow a different Jesus than other  Christian religions.

Okay I accidently deleted my post instead of editing. But I will concede to what is posted in the link.

But I think you were walking a fine line in false doctrine when you first stated there was more than one Jesus.  We already have enough critics that say we follow a different Jesus than other  Christian religions.

Let me be clear there is one Jesus only, my response about there being 2 was in reply to the TFP and his thought of fire and brimstone and Gods righteous judgement being brought upon the marrying couple. In my mind I was joking about the 2 Jesus thing...there is one. I think that New Testament teachings do not point to the Old Testament way of dealing with sin.

See and we wonder why people think we r not Christian.....

Now you're just taking cheap shots.

The Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants are scripture as much as the Bible is; and they do much to bridge the gap between the supposedly conflicting facets of God's nature as presented in the Old and New Testaments.  Those books show that throughout the whole history of the earth God has been capable of showing great love and forgiveness, whilst also being at times extremely--even painfully--demanding.

Jehovah did not suddenly find His softer side with the birth of Jesus of Nazareth; and He did not convert to Nicolaitanism just because he dined with tax collectors and refused to kill a harlot.

. . . his thought of fire and brimstone and Gods righteous judgement being brought upon the marrying couple.

If you think God won't bring fire and brimstone--TFP wasn't saying He would; he was just saying he didn't think Jesus would participate in a celebration of the same sort of acts that used to elicit such a drastic negative reaction from Him.

If you think God won't, at some future point, impose a judgment against the couple with potentially eternal ramifications if they fail to repent--you are wrong.  Stupendously, colossally wrong.

Edited by Just_A_Guy