"Personal" Word of Wisdom

char713

I have a few food allergies, but the one I dislike the most is my allergy toward eggs. I cannot consume them in any form (except in some baked goods for some reason) without experiencing shooting pains and whole-body aches that last for up to four hours. I crave them all the time though. I have tried eating various substitutes, as well as testing the egg whites and the yolks seperately.. the substitutes are unsatisfying and other experiments yield only the same uncomfortable results. Sometimes I just have to have eggs and toast though, and even though I know what will happen, I indulge anyway. 

My husband tells me that this is wrong. That I am breaking my "personal word of wisdom" and that while I may not be not unworthy because of it, I am abusing my body the same as someone who uses unhealthy substances. He feels the same about diabetics who willingly or carelessly eat very poorly and put themselves in the hospital. And the same for people with heart or blood pressure conditions like his father, who refuses to give up eating barbeque in sometimes more than normal healthy-person quantities.

I sort of see what he means, and yet not. The WoW is there to protect our health and keep us from limiting our capacity to have the Spirit with us and hear promptings. As much as my allergic reaction bothers me, my state of mind isn't really altered. But other than that I cannot really think of a strong enough argument (other than "that's silly") against this idea. Help? I really want to eat deviled eggs at Easter, but he scolds me whenever I buy eggs and often throws them out. 

My husband tells me that this is wrong. That I am breaking my "personal word of wisdom" and that while I may not be not unworthy because of it, I am abusing my body the same as someone who uses unhealthy substances. He feels the same about diabetics who willingly or carelessly eat very poorly and put themselves in the hospital. And the same for people with heart or blood pressure conditions like his father, who refuses to give up eating barbeque in sometimes more than normal healthy-person quantities.

Was this "personal word of wisdom" given to you, and accepted, by covenant?  If not, then I don't think the "word of wisdom" analogy is quite accurate.

Now, that said:  You know how some guys are totally into "fixing things" (that "It's not about the nail" video I posted in another recent thread, and all that?)  Well, as a guy, there are few things that drive me more absolutely batty than when I suggest to Just_A_Girl that if she does x, she will suffer ill consequence y, she ignores me and does x anyways, ill consequence y happens as-predicted, and I wind up having to deal with the fallout that I (and, apparently, only I) knew was coming.  (And, yes, sisters; when you get sick, your husbands *definitely* are dealing with some fallout from that.)

Now, I'm not saying Just_A_Girl must slavishly obey me when I suggest that she not do x; because sometimes x can be awfully fun and--frankly--worth the consequences.  On the other hand--I find that I bear the fallout from consequence y much better when Just_A_Girl tells me beforehand something along the lines of "I understand your point; I'm going to do x anyways because of a, b, and c; I am aware that this may have consequence y and I'm prepared to pay the price and here's how I'm going to try to insulate you from it.  Now, can you please recognize that this action x is going to make me happy and support me in doing it?"

I find that a better marital preservation technique than trying to push arcane interpretations of D&C 89.  ;)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Haha - great point, Suzie. The funny thing is, before this allergy came to be, I never really cared for eggs. The bummer is that besides fruit and yogurt, there is virtually nothing one can eat for breakfast (that is not essentially a dessert) that does not contain eggs. I can, and do, eat yogurt every day. And have gone on long kicks with just oatmeal and cream of wheat too. But sometimes just really want a change of pace, and my husband has amazing omelette skills. 

He is definitely motivated to keep me from eating these things, (bananas are the other really bad thing for me) because of the fallout he has to deal with... and of course loving concern for me. I'm concerned for me too. But I also know that it'll be all over in a few hours and the craving will have been satiated for another few weeks or months. 

Edited by char713

It is a commandment to take care of your body.  By not taking care of your body, then you are going against the Lord's wishes.  

Yeah I think that's basically what my husband is getting at. Hmm. Anyone got any breakfast food ideas that do not include any eggs, bananas, or corn? :)

Edit: And that aren't some slight variation of cake? 

Edited by char713

I agree with JAG that comparing this to WoW is not helpful in this situation.

But, if you know it is bad for you, you should avoid it. Don't mess with allergies - my sister is allergic to a lot of things. We almost lost her twice. My son is also allergic to a lot of things. We've had our share of dicey ER visits. My son's 3rd grade teacher died In the classroom from an allergic reaction that caused her windpipe to get blocked.

Your husband probably senses these things and is trying his best to take care of you the only way he knows how.

Yeah I think that's basically what my husband is getting at. Hmm. Anyone got any breakfast food ideas that do not include any eggs, bananas, or corn? :)

I love breakfast foods!  Yogurt especially.

Toast, pancakes, biscuits, cereal, fruits (you already said), oatmeal, and last night's leftovers :).  

Gradual exposure for some people to certain allergens can help build up immunity or cure the allergy in some people. Though i'd only recommend trying such a technique under supervision and guidance with a qualified Allergist. (It's kinda sorta maybe what you are describing) Might not be such a great idea to do on your own though. 

It is your body, but it might be nice to avoid hurting yourself since at the very least it may cause emotional pain to the ones close to you that see it.

(Also maybe you are craving a high protein/cholesterol/choline source? Do you like fish? [which in some countries is a breakfast food] )

Edited by Crypto

I well remember the sugary cereals and fat-laden breakfasts considered normal fare when I lived in the U.S.  Sooo delicious but soooo bad for you :)

I'm not much of a breakfast eater so I usually just make a quick protein shake to sip on my 30 minute drive to work each morning.  My family keeps chickens so we have plenty of eggs, and yet we hardly eat eggs so I end up giving them away to friends at work.   Meanwhile, I like to eat toasted wholemeal muffin or toasted bread topped with any of the following:

• baked beans
  • grilled tomato and cheese (or whatever you like to have grilled with cheese)
  • avocado mixed with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper and spread on toast is delicious
  • or...
  • smoothies (as opposed to juices made with your choice of yoghurt and freshly blended fruit (eg. pineapple, orange, apple, or berries)
  • smoothies made with your choice of veggies (you can also add in things like coconut milk, flax oil, chia seeds and such if you want to boost the nutrients of your smoothies - there's any number of things you can buy from any health food store)
  • granola with dried nuts and nuts and fruit
  • you've already discovered the joys of oatmeal - I love that stuff!

Meanwhile, might be a good idea to keep away from those eggs :)

Edited by lagarthaaz

Ahh, silly Americans.  You think there are only certain foods for breakfast.  I loved living in Bulgaria on my mission.  I could eat a cheese sandwich and no one (other than my American companions) gave me a hard time.  I do not like "breakfast" foods in general. I have absolutely no problems eating foods considered to be lunch or dinner foods for breakfast.  Leftovers, sandwiches, whatever strikes me.  

One of my families on my mission was from Cambodia.  They ate spicy Ramen noodles for breakfast--a family after my own heart!!!

Now, I'm not saying Just_A_Girl must slavishly obey me when I suggest that she not do x; because sometimes x can be awfully fun and--frankly--worth the consequences.  On the other hand--I find that I bear the fallout from consequence y much better when Just_A_Girl tells me beforehand something along the lines of "I understand your point; I'm going to do x anyways because of a, b, and c; I am aware that this may have consequence y and I'm prepared to pay the price and here's how I'm going to try to insulate you from it.  Now, can you please recognize that this action x is going to make me happy and support me in doing it?"

interesting - I've never come across anybody who is allergic to alphabet soup. 

Char713, if you still missing them and craving them...would it help if I tell you that eggs are the equivalent of a chicken period (yes, menstruation) :ahhah: 

I can't quite tell whether Suzie just won the thread or whether she just lost the thread . . .

But either way, I think our work here is done.

Haha - great point, Suzie. The funny thing is, before this allergy came to be, I never really cared for eggs. The bummer is that besides fruit and yogurt, there is virtually nothing one can eat for breakfast (that is not essentially a dessert) that does not contain eggs. I can, and do, eat yogurt every day. And have gone on long kicks with just oatmeal and cream of wheat too. But sometimes just really want a change of pace, and my husband has amazing omelette skills. 

He is definitely motivated to keep me from eating these things, (bananas are the other really bad thing for me) because of the fallout he has to deal with... and of course loving concern for me. I'm concerned for me too. But I also know that it'll be all over in a few hours and the craving will have been satiated for another few weeks or months. 

char713, you should ask your doctor if he/she thinks that supplemental enzymes (for digestion) would help with your egg and banana issues. Just a thought.

M.

Gradual exposure for some people to certain allergens can help build up immunity or cure the allergy in some people. Though i'd only recommend trying such a technique under supervision and guidance with a qualified Allergist. (It's kinda sorta maybe what you are describing) Might not be such a great idea to do on your own though. 

(Also maybe you are craving a high protein/cholesterol/choline source? Do you like fish? [which in some countries is a breakfast food] )

Good point, you could be right. I have tried eating fish for breakfast, but have only been able to stomach it before 11am when camping and it was cooked on a stick over the campfire. The rest of the time it just makes me feel icky, but that's probably just my upbringing on standard American fare talking.

Maybe that is the conditioning I need to get going for myself, just eat "non-breakfast" things until my tastes adjust. I have eaten leftovers in the morning before, pasta dishes for example, but always end up feeling like I need to "wash it down" with something like plain yogurt or orange juice. 

Meanwhile, I like to eat toasted wholemeal muffin or toasted bread topped with any of the following:

• baked beans

I love the rest of your suggestions, thank you! This one though... ugh. I grew up in England for the most part, and had many an overnight school trip where this was the only option for breakfast. Beans or marmalade on toast... never again lol. I'm a complete Anglophile, and wouldn't mind living my entire life in that "green and pleasant land" but the food is not among my top reasons why. I know lots of people love it though, I am sorry if this is a bit rude. 

char713, you should ask your doctor if he/she thinks that supplemental enzymes (for digestion) would help with your egg and banana issues. Just a thought.

Good thought, I haven't ever looked into them much but I do have a physical coming up soon. I shall jot down a reminder to ask my doctor about them. Thanks! 

Edited by char713

I love the rest of your suggestions, thank you! This one though... ugh. I grew up in England for the most part, and had many an overnight school trip where this was the only option for breakfast. Beans or marmalade on toast... never again lol. I'm a complete Anglophile, and wouldn't mind living my entire life in that "green and pleasant land" but the food is not among my top reasons why. I know lots of people love it though, I am sorry if this is a bit rude. 

You don't like beans on toast - oh the humanity!  Did you feel the same about crumpets...surely you can't dislike hot toasted crumpets with oozing butter and honey? :P

When I was in the States I was introduced to waffles and pancakes for breakfast, and not just pancakes, but pancakes with bacon and eggs - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I discovered I-Hop. Sad, I know!

I love the rest of your suggestions, thank you! This one though... ugh. I grew up in England for the most part, and had many an overnight school trip where this was the only option for breakfast. Beans or marmalade on toast... never again lol.

Except for the full Filipino breakfast, there is nothing in the world better than a full English breakfast fry-up!!! Beans, fried bread, fried egg (okay, not this for you), fried sausage, fried bacon, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, and fried kippers... ALL IN ONE PLATE! If that's the only food left in the world, I would live a long life and die happy...

Okay, Suzie, naaasty! lol

Haven't had eggs in our household in a long time, from the looks of things, my husband and daughter are transitioning (without much effort) into vegetarian lifestyle. They may even go straight vegan one of these days. We shall see.

I do love crumpets - and who does any dairy products better than the Brits, honestly? Okay, maybe the Swiss. I never cared much for drinking milk as a child but I loved that we had our milk delivered in those terrific glass bottles every day. I also loved fish n chips and pastys which we had whenever we were traveling, or out for a village market day. Those are actually probably the least "exotic" British foods of all. Maybe things would be different if I had lived there past the age of 11. The sweets I definitely miss, especially with the new restrictions on Cadbury chocolate here in the states. Apart from licorice allsorts, I think their candy is infinitely better than ours. Mint Aeros, Jaffa Cakes, Cadbury Flakes, Fruit-tella, etc. 

For breakfast, I regularly eat a rice and beans combination sprinkled with sesame oil and soy sauce.

1 part (1/2 cup) of a four bean mix; mung, soy, azuki, and black

1 part barley

1 part spelt or wheat berry

2 parts sweet rice (not for the gluten sensitive)

some peanuts

Mix all the dry ingredients in a rice cooker and cook just like rice.

Sprinkle with sesame oil and soy sauce when served.