Looking for a quote by an LDS leader

Torostoros

Hi

I'm looking for a quote by an LDS leader. I think it's Pres. Packer but am not even close to certain of that.

The crux of the quote (I think it's about five or six sentences long) is to address the fallacy that those that commit sin (esp. major sin) and repent are somehow then more enlightened/advanced than those that chose to live obediently and not sin in the first place.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Elder Packer may have said something to that effect, but if he did I'm betting he was quoting President Kimball, who wrote in his book (The Miracle of Forgiveness): 

"Another error into which some transgressors fall, because of the availability of God's forgiveness, is the illusion that they are somehow stronger for having committed sin and then lived through the period of repentance. This simply is not true. That man who resists temptation and lives without sin is far better off than the man who has fallen, no matter how repentant the latter may be. … His sin and repentance have certainly not made him stronger than the consistently righteous person."

Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave an address at BYU in 1990 (See the July 1992 Ensign) where he said this:

"Some Latter-day Saints who wrongly think repentance is easy maintain that a person is better off after he has sinned and repented. "Get a little experience with sin," one argument goes, “and then you will be better able to counsel and sympathize with others. You can always repent.”

I plead with you, my brothers and sisters, my young friends and my older friends, avoid transgression! The idea that one can deliberately sin and easily repent or that one is better off after sinning and repenting are devilish lies of the adversary."

Hope this helps!

Hahaha that was great.  But now I can't get the freaking song out of my head. So now you are in my head so I'm going to be billing you.   :)

As a public service, the following is guaranteed to get the song from my previous post, out of your head:

(Wait--now this one's stuck in your head?  Sheesh--no pleasing you people!)

I wonder whose bill would be bigger - a capitalist oinker or just_a_guy lawyer?

I believe we can surmise the answer to this question by consulting the scriptures.

In the 7th chapter of Luke we read:

40. And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he said, Master, say on.
41. There was a certain Capitalist which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
42. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, had this man been a lawyer, would he have forgiven the debt?
43. Simon answered and said, are you kidding me! He would have had both of them thrown into jail until they paid the uttermost farthing. 
44. And Jesus said unto him, thou hast rightly judged.

There's no need for any of you to look this up. I'm certain I copied it correctly.  :whistling:

I believe we can surmise the answer to this question by consulting the scriptures.

In the 7th chapter of Luke we read:

40. And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he said, Master, say on.
41. There was a certain Capitalist which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
42. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, had this man been a lawyer, would he have forgiven the debt?
43. Simon answered and said, are you kidding me! He would have had both of them thrown into jail until they paid the uttermost farthing. 
44. And Jesus said unto him, thou hast rightly judged.

There's no need for any of you to look this up. I'm certain I copied it correctly.  :whistling:

A capitalist with only two debtors? That doesn't sound quite right. And a capitalist who forgives debts? Surely the true and proper course of events is that the capitalist hires the lawyer to recover the debts and the lawyer' then charges more than the amount that was recovered. 

A capitalist with only two debtors? That doesn't sound quite right. And a capitalist who forgives debts? Surely the true and proper course of events is that the capitalist hires the lawyer to recover the debts and the lawyer' then charges more than the amount that was recovered. 

Whoa! When you start questioning the scriptures you're on the road to apostasy, pal.  ;)