When did Jesus receive the Holy Ghost?

askandanswer

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:8)

8  Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.

Can we conclude from this scripture, and from the teachings and practices of the church today, that prior to His baptism at the age of 30, Jesus did not have the gift of the Holy Ghost?

Our Savior's baptism is a fascinating thing to ponder.  Birth is such a feminine subject, I've often pondered the possibility that the unidentified voice in heaven announcing "this is my beloved Son" was perhaps Heavenly Mother - that the Savior's baptism involved not becoming a child of God (Jesus was already the son of God), but involved becoming a child of our Heavenly Mother.  The dove is another beautiful feminine symbol. 

Remember the dove that was released after the flood?  The flood was a baptism too...

What the WHAT?!?

Our Savior's baptism is a fascinating thing to ponder.  Birth is such a feminine subject, I've often pondered the possibility that the unidentified voice in heaven announcing "this is my beloved Son" was perhaps Heavenly Mother - that the Savior's baptism involved not becoming a child of God (Jesus was already the son of God), but involved becoming a child of our Heavenly Mother...

I see by your avatar that you are an LDS convert. A careful and prayerful study of D&C 93 will answer your question concerning the order of things. Jesus Christ's baptism of water and fire and much more in this singular setting is a clear indication that none other than the Father endowed the Savior with a fullness of glory. 

Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face andknow that I am;

And that I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world;

And that I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one—

The Father because he gave me of his fulness, and the Son because I was in the world and made flesh mytabernacle, and dwelt among the sons of men.

I was in the world and received of my Father, and the works of him were plainly manifest.

And John saw and bore record of the fulness of myglory, and the fulness of John’s record is hereafter to be revealed.

And he bore record, saying: I saw his glory, that he was in the beginning, before the world was;

Therefore, in the beginning the Word was, for he was the Word, even the messenger of salvation—

The light and the Redeemer of the world; the Spirit of truth, who came into the world, because the world was made by him, and in him was the life of men and the light of men.

10 The worlds were made by him; men were made by him; all things were made by him, and through him, and of him.

11 And I, John, bear record that I beheld his glory, as the glory of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth, even the Spirit of truth, which came and dwelt in the flesh, and dwelt among us.

12 And I, John, saw that he received not of the fulnessat the first, but received grace for grace;

13 And he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness;

14 And thus he was called the Son of God, because he received not of the fulness at the first.

15 And I, John, bear record, and lo, the heavens were opened, and the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove, and sat upon him, and there came a voice out of heaven saying: This is my beloved Son.

16 And I, John, bear record that he received a fulness of the glory of the Father;

17 And he received all power, both in heaven and on earth, and the glory of the Father was with him, for he dwelt in him.

18 And it shall come to pass, that if you are faithful you shall receive the fulness of the record of John.

19 I give unto you these sayings that you may understand and know how to worship, and know what you worship, that you may come unto the Father in my name, and in due time receive of his fulness...

Indeed the flood was a baptism of water. When Christ returns and the world is burned, it will be a baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost-a sanctification. The dove is also a symbol, I agree. Lots of symbolism. The only woman I see being symbolized in the Bible is Zion. Christ is the bridegroom, Zion is the bride, the covenant people are the children. 

Luke 1:15

15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.

The above verse refers to John, not Jesus so the question remains - when did Jesus receive the Holy Ghost?

Luke 1: 13 - 16

13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.

15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filledwith the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.

16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.

Edited by askandanswer

The above verse refers to John, not Jesus so the question remains - when did Jesus receive the Holy Ghost?

Whoops! Okay I'm embarrassed!  :blush:  

Luke 2:40

40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

But the mistake still sorta works, If John can be filled with the Holy Ghost from birth so can Jesus.

And as skalenfehl mentioned there is a difference between the ordinance where you receive the gift of the holy ghost, and the Holy Ghost being with you! Jesus didn't need to be baptized to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost.

Edited by Crypto

I was going to address the original idea based on what the prophets and apostles have taught (i.e. Jesus had the Holy Ghost from his birth (as already pointed out) and that at His baptism he received a fullness of knowledge), but this thread has taken such a weird turn that I think I'll just stay out altogether.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:8)

8  Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.

Can we conclude from this scripture, and from the teachings and practices of the church today, that prior to His baptism at the age of 30, Jesus did not have the gift of the Holy Ghost?

No. In fact a verse before, Nephi testifies, "Know ye not that he was holy?" Being already holy he did not need to be baptized to receive the Holy Ghost. Jesus' baptism, and consequently the sign of the dove, were to show John who Jesus was. We read of this in John 1:

Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One. (John 1:32-34 NIV)

Of course in so doing the Lord did not just show John but all of us the straightness of the way and the narrowness of the gate by which we should pass. In other words, Jesus needed to show us the spiritual path through a physical demonstration. And the Father likewise confirmed the spiritual path by actual word and sign.

My question is not about Christ receiving the HG but about me having done so.    

It is my understanding that Jesus was the Messiah and Christ – both meaning the anointed one.  I do not know for sure but I believe the Jesus was anointed prior to his birth to Marry.  However, since we are not provided with the revelation we do not know if he was also so anointed after his birth.

As to the baptism of Christ – I am quite sure that the purpose of his baptism was not to the same end (forgiveness of sins) that our baptism is.  The necessity of his baptism is for some other purpose than our baptism.  I am inclined to believe that Jesus received the gift of the Holy Ghost prior to his baptism.  Perhaps even when he was anointed the Christ.  That the sign of a dove – Holy Ghost – was given would indicate to me that he already possessed the covenant gift.

As to the difference between being influenced by the Holy Ghost and having the gift of the Holy Ghost I would draw attention to covenants and the importance of making covenants.  We may have relationships to the Holy Ghost that is similar to dating as we enjoy each other’s company.  But that there is a very real and important difference between dating and the covenant of marriage.  Where marriage is similar to receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost by covenant and dating is likewise similar to enjoying a relationship without a covenant.

Edited by Traveler

Our Savior's baptism is a fascinating thing to ponder.  Birth is such a feminine subject, I've often pondered the possibility that the unidentified voice in heaven announcing "this is my beloved Son" was perhaps Heavenly Mother - that the Savior's baptism involved not becoming a child of God (Jesus was already the son of God), but involved becoming a child of our Heavenly Mother.  The dove is another beautiful feminine symbol. 

Remember the dove that was released after the flood?  The flood was a baptism too...

I've at times been struck with the thought that the Holy Ghost is actually our Heavenly Mother.  Would make perfect sense to me. But I'm not going to promote that idea as anywhere near the truth because it isn't. At least the Holy Ghost has been referred to as a "he" by prophets. Maybe that's just to protect the identity of Heavenly Mother. But ...anyway. It's not all that hard to come up with explanations to mysteries that would seem to make sense but aren't doctrinal in any way. So we need to be careful to not promote these ideas as anything but our own fantasies. 

I was going to address the original idea based on what the prophets and apostles have taught (i.e. Jesus had the Holy Ghost from his birth (as already pointed out) and that at His baptism he received a fullness of knowledge), but this thread has taken such a weird turn that I think I'll just stay out altogether.

TFP, I'm hoping you might reconsider this decision. While some of the postings here have been interesting and thought provoking they lack the gravitas that comes with teachings from prophets and apostles.