Jeffrey R. Holland - Sunday a.m. Session

Today is Easter Sunday.  We should always remember of brotherly hands and determined arms that reached into death to save us from our fallings and our failings.

In our secular society it is uncommon and unfashionable to speak of Adam and Eve or of the Garden of Eden.

We can’t fully understand the atonement of Christ without understanding that there was an actual Adam and Eve that fell from Eden.

Adam and Eve were created under the divine hand of God.  They lived where there was no human death.

Their transgression had spiritual consequences. They were cut off from God.

All things have been done in the wisdom of Him that knows all things.

The fall was part of His divine plan.

The atonement guaranteed resurrection for every person who has ever been born and those who will be born.

This is all dependent on obedience to divine commandments.

Jesus of Nazareth is the Savior of the world.

He is the author and finisher of our faith. The Alpha and the Omega.

The resurrection must come by reason of the fall.

Today we celebrate the victory of every sorrow, discouragement and fear we have ever faced.

That victory is available to us because of events that happened more than 2,000 years ago.

Under His own power He rose from death.  Never to be separated from spirit and body again.

Jesus still lives.  

Perhaps Elder Holland should be made an honorary member of the First Presidency during General Conference. (Of course, I'd also want honorary membership for Elder Oaks, Elder Anderson, Elder Christoffersen, Elder Nelson, Elder Bednar, Elder Scott -- pretty much the entire Quorum of Twelve. Throw in Bishop Causee, Elder Cardon and others of the Seventy, and things get unwieldy. I won't even suggest Sister Burton, which would throw everything into wild disarray.)

I take it back. I suppose we'll just have to get by with the First Presidency we have, and hear from the others as we can.