Psychology > Religion?

prisonchaplain

Psychologist earn their keep.  They do grueling work, usually 1:1, often seeing the ugliest that humanity has to offer.  $90-130 per hour is dirt cheap, in my book.  Considering that the car repair shop charges the same, I'll double down on my uber-respect for those in the counseling field.

An interesting shift has taken place, however.  Even 20 years ago, I can remember that most inmates did not want to see the psychologist.  They were okay with us chaplains, though.  Today the tables have turned.  A recent poll indicated that 42% of those in Portland, OR are unaffiliated with any religion.  34% in Seattle, and 32% in San Francisco. 

This got me to thinking.  People will spends years--sometimes decades--resolving psychological issues stemming from dysfunctional relationships with their parents.  Again, this is time well spent.  On the other hand, they balk at seeking a relationship with Father God.  Too busy.  Who knows/cares if there really is God?  How can one know which religion is true?  But really--the message is that they do not care to take the time to even begin such an inquiry.

Ironic?

Edited by prisonchaplain

Psychology often fails to find solutions for people.  Counseling from the Bible brings hope.  Struggles in life are caused by personal sin, someone else's sin, or disease and decay originated in a sin-cursed world.  Sin has a cure- Christ!  Modern psychology offers few cures, but can only offer some understanding and coping techniques.

I do think there is a role for medicine in some types of psychological issues and I  believe the Bible allows for that.  But people see a psychiatrist, not a psychologist for that.

It's an interesting turn of events and indicative of the rapidly changing culture of the US. But I don't see how it is ironic. But then, there's nothing ironic about the song Ironic. ;)

I do think there is a role for medicine in some types of psychological issues and I  believe the Bible allows for that.  But people see a psychiatrist, not a psychologist for that.

Actually, they see both (from what my mother-in-law does). The psychiatrist doesn't really counsel and talk with you - he refers you to the psychologist... I know, I didn't believe it when my mother-in-law told me this either.

I'm all for professional psychologist counseling, having been through the system myself and gained much benefit.  But the thing in counsuling that helped me the most actually, was something my counselor said about forgiving myself.  I immediately turned to the scriptures, had a very profound prayer, and within 30 minutes found the relief I had been looking for.  

There are techniques and process of thinking that psychologists help their clients learn.  They can be powerful.  These days most clergy will have one or two psychologists in their rolodex.  Of course, these will be practioners who share our faith and worldview. 

The issue may be the old time-management fallacy--the urgent squashes the important.  Car repair is urgent.  Psychological care can be important.  Spiritual care is eternal.  So, which one must I take care of right now???  So it goes...

Some of those who see psychologists might be looking to heal from hurts their parents deliberately caused them. Too many believe that God has deliberately caused similar or worse things to happen. With that mindset, as sad and wrong as it is, it makes sense that they would seek counsel from anyone but those who they think are their abusers. 

It's an interesting turn of events and indicative of the rapidly changing culture of the US. But I don't see how it is ironic. But then, there's nothing ironic about the song Ironic. ;)

No irony in people spending great energy and resources trying to resolve issues with unworthy human fathers, but having no willingness to invest any into reconciling with their Heavenly Father?  Well, for me, most "interesting turns of events" qualify as ironic.  Perhaps I have a lower bar?

Some of those who see psychologists might be looking to heal from hurts their parents deliberately caused them. Too many believe that God has deliberately caused similar or worse things to happen. With that mindset, as sad and wrong as it is, it makes sense that they would seek counsel from anyone but those who they think are their abusers. 

Great insight.  Many suffer from two lies:  that their human parents are worthy barometers of their own worth; and that Heavenly Father is an unjust cosmic tyrant, rather than the one true deity that loves his children so much He commissioned his Son to reconcile us to himself.

My son is finishing up on his Masters in mental health. We have numerous conversations about Physcologist etc. it's alarming how many people today don't have a belief in God. Makes me wonder how they can heal or recover thru a 12 step program without ha belief in Diety or a Supreme Being.

Horse

Or lack thereof

I think those 12 step programs talk about a higher power.  They can use the ocean as a higher power, if they don't want to acknowledge God as the higher power.

In terms of psychologists and psychiatrists, they like to complicate things.  And listen, rather than offer solutions.

Why not, they are paid by the hour.

As to real solutions, I think there are only 3 problems in the whole world.  Only 3 problems that any person can ever have.

Their relationship with thyself, their relationship with other people, and their relationship with their maker, or creator (God).

That's the way I see it.

So, yes, it's ironic that everyone wants to leave out one essential part of the solution.

And still expect to get anywhere.

But this is the agenda today, the revisionist history, the revisionist solution.

dc

No irony in people spending great energy and resources trying to resolve issues with unworthy human fathers, but having no willingness to invest any into reconciling with their Heavenly Father?  Well, for me, most "interesting turns of events" qualify as ironic.  Perhaps I have a lower bar?

That really doesn't fit the definition of irony... or at least the irony that I was taught in college.

But I was just pulling your leg... ;)

Edited by anatess

I use to get frustrated because I would send people or couples to Counciling and talk with them about what they might experience and after one visit or two they would stop going because they felt like it wasn't helping them. Had one couple going for Counciling and they stopped going because one spouse felt like the councilor was siding with the other spouse.