Resigning from the Church

As some of you may recall, I have been talking to the missionaries for a few weeks.

They have asked for a baptism date.  I have responded that I need to get ready for this, to know, to make it stick, as it were, rather than rush in, then drop out.  So I don't know my date yet.

I began life in the Catholic church.  However, as an adult I attended Mass maybe 10 times.  That's all there is to being a Catholic.  Attend Mass.

I don't know if I need to resign, or just leave it at that.

I have heard that if I resign I can't have a Catholic funeral.  I don't know if I want one, what one is, and I'm not dead yet.

Are there Mormon funerals?

The missionaries have no idea, they have heard of Catholicism but have no ideas about it.

Does anyone know what the procedure is or how this should be handled?

dc

If you are going to join the LDS church then I would assume that you have gained a belief in the restoration of the gospel in its entirety. Knowing that should make it easier to know that by the power of the priesthood (which was restored by Joseph smith) is how the LDS officiate in all their ordinances. From baby blessings to baptisms, to healing of the sick, ordinations and yes even funerals.

* as far as resigning from the catholic church I have no clue, what I have observed over the years from many LDS members that leave our church is that they leave with out saying a word, the only problem with that is that our church records do not reflect their status so we think they are still in the fold and we constantly reach out to bring them back in (via phone calls or house visits), those former members finally tells us to leave them alone and ask that we take their names out of the system.

Edited by priesthoodpower

As some of you may recall, I have been talking to the missionaries for a few weeks.

They have asked for a baptism date.  I have responded that I need to get ready for this, to know, to make it stick, as it were, rather than rush in, then drop out.  So I don't know my date yet.

I began life in the Catholic church.  However, as an adult I attended Mass maybe 10 times.  That's all there is to being a Catholic.  Attend Mass.

I have heard that if I resign I can't have a Catholic funeral.  I don't know if I want one, what one is, and I'm not dead yet.

The missionaries have no idea, they have heard of Catholicism but have no ideas about it.

dc

I know nothing about resigning from the Catholic church.  It is not required to join the Mormon church.  (Not to say you couldn't do it if you wanted).

But I do know there are Mormon funerals.

Edited by Jane_Doe

dc

Hi David13. Nice to meet you! :)

There is a funeral rite or ordinance connected with the gospel of Jesus Christ or Mormon religion. I don't know what a Catholic funeral consist of so I don't know how to compare. In the Mormon faith the funeral can be pretty much how the family request it to be but there is usually a priesthood ordinance performed to dedicate the grave and to provide words of comfort. Also, the deceased member may be buried in special clothing if they have received all LDS temple ordinances. Here is the official word: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings/20.9?lang=eng#209

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock

dc

As far as I know you don't have to quit any former church before being baptized into the LDS church.

You can resign from the Catholic church if you so choose, though I don't think it's necessary.

If you do go that route, then according to the following website (a Catholic missionary site) "You must file a copy of the "Defectio ab Ecclesia catholica actu formali," ("Defection from the Catholic Church by a Formal Act"), with the Office of the Bishop."

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu286.htm  

The site also notes that if you resign, you won't be able to have a Catholic burial.

But when that time comes, if you are LDS, you can have an LDS funeral held in an LDS chapel.

There's no such thing as "resigning from the Catholic Church".

There's no such thing as getting "re-baptized into the Catholic Church".

Basically, once you get baptized Catholic, the Catholic Church considers you Catholic forever and ever which includes having a Catholic wedding, Catholic Last Rites, etc. etc., even if you're a devil worshipper. Yes, the Priest/Bishop will most likely work with you to get through a Repentance process to be able to take Communion again before the wedding...

You can, of course, self-excommunicate. That is - you consider yourself not Catholic anymore and the Church will acknowledge this (they won't send you tithing envelopes and Church bulletins and such), but as far as the Church goes, you're Catholic.

As far as I know you don't have to quit any former church before being baptized into the LDS church.

You can resign from the Catholic church if you so choose, though I don't think it's necessary.

If you do go that route, then according to the following website (a Catholic missionary site) "You must file a copy of the "Defectio ab Ecclesia catholica actu formali," ("Defection from the Catholic Church by a Formal Act"), with the Office of the Bishop."

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu286.htm  

The site also notes that if you resign, you won't be able to have a Catholic burial.

But when that time comes, if you are LDS, you can have an LDS funeral held in an LDS chapel.

The Defecto ab Ecclesia formal submission is a formal acknowledgement of a schism. But, even this does not break your bond to the Church and the life of grace afforded by your baptism and your being subject to its moral obligations. A perfect example of this is - a Catholic Priest who has formally defected from the Church is still bound by his vow of celibacy.

When that person who submitted a defecto decides to return to the Catholic Church, he will not go through the same CCD process as an unbaptized convert. Rather, he goes through a repentance process for the moral obligations he failed to meet while in defection.

Make sense?

I'm not sure about the accuracy of that not being able to have a Catholic burial, though. I haven't seen that at all in canon law. Although, I have to admit, I've been LDS for coming on 15 years, so canon law might have changed since then.

Edited by anatess

Yes, I think that makes sense.

It's like being British.  Once British always British, even I think if you become a citizen of another country.

I think.

Which is probably the best way to do it.

Just leave it at that.  No resignation or anything. 

Catholics never come to visit you or anything, at least none have with me.  And it's basically been 50 years, except for a few attendances at Mass every few years.

dc

Yes, I think that makes sense.

It's like being British.  Once British always British, even I think if you become a citizen of another country.

I think.

Which is probably the best way to do it.

Just leave it at that.  No resignation or anything. 

Catholics never come to visit you or anything, at least none have with me.  And it's basically been 50 years, except for a few attendances at Mass every few years.

dc

Oh, they do (depends on your relationship with the priest, of course). My mother still sends my name to the Carmelites every week to pray for my salvation. And priests still ask about me.

But, that's just fine. I have no problem being LDS and still being a part of the Catholic Church traditions (my entire family is Catholic). My bishop knows my testimony.

But, that's just fine. I have no problem being LDS and still being a part of the Catholic Church traditions (my entire family is Catholic). My bishop knows my testimony.

dont mean to pick on you because you are filipino but my cousin served his mission in the Philippines and he had a filipino sr. companion (who converted to LDS from catholic) that woke him up one morning and said "get ready", my cousin said "for what?", ..."just get ready"

they walked across the street to a catholic chapel and the sr companion got married to his girlfriend. lol

Edited by priesthoodpower

dont mean to pick on you because you are filipino but my cousin served his mission in the Philippines and he had a filipino sr. companion (who converted to LDS from catholic) that woke him up one morning and said "get ready", my cousin said "for what?", ..."just get ready"

they walked across the street to a catholic chapel and the sr companion got married to his girlfriend. lol

WHAT? He got married on his mission? LOL!

• 2 months later...

David13, everything important in the RCC is liturgical, and there is not a liturgical rite to remove people from the RCC. That would be wholly not Catholic.

Well yes, Mass is IT, as in, Christ made present in the Eucharistt is the center of Catholic faith, but that isn't where being Catholic ends.

Mormons do have a built in social network, which is nice, unless you don't fit in. :) I've been to LDS church things maybe a dozen times in the last 30 years. I have not resigned from the LDS church. Once in a while someone comes around, usually around my birthday. Maybe every 5 years or so. Usually they act exasperated because I'm not conveniently home during the day, and knocking on my door then will have no one answering. :) Still a nice gesture, but I realize I'm just an assignment. No Mormkn neighbor has ever come around to just say hi. It's always to do something they've been assigned to do. I figure, I just don't fit in and so I spend time at my parish, where I do fit in. :) Those of us there, participating in our ministries, are because we want to. :)

Edited by blueskye

David13, everything important in the RCC is liturgical, and there is not a liturgical rite to remove people from the RCC. That would be wholly not Catholic.

Well yes, Mass is IT, as in, Christ made present in the Eucharistt is the center of Catholic faith, but that isn't where being Catholic ends.

Mormons do have a built in social network, which is nice, unless you don't fit in. :) I've been to LDS church things maybe a dozen times in the last 30 years. I have not resigned from the LDS church. Once in a while someone comes around, usually around my birthday. Maybe every 5 years or so. Usually they act exasperated because I'm not conveniently home during the day, and knocking on my door then will have no one answering. :) Still a nice gesture, but I realize I'm just an assignment. No Mormkn neighbor has ever come around to just say hi. It's always to do something they've been assigned to do. I figure, I just don't fit in and so I spend time at my parish, where I do fit in. :) Those of us there, participating in our ministries, are because we want to. :)

That, of course, is anecdotal and mileage will vary.

I just had my neighbor who was baptized LDS when he was 8 and never been to church after he aged out of Primary at my house last Saturday yelling at the Werdum vs. Velasquez fight on PPV. Yes, we found out about him because I got called as Ward Missionary and he was on my list, otherwise, I wouldn't have known he was LDS. I wouldn't have knocked on his door otherwise. We never see him. He doesn't hang around in the neighborhood. And we don't make a habit of randomly knocking on neighbor's doors... But, with his name on my list, I stuck a note on his door telling him I'm from the Church and I live 3 doors down. He walked to my house with my note in hand when he got home and told me he's not interested in the Church at all. I shook his hand and invited him to dinner.

That was over a year ago. We remained friends since because my husband is big on gym and UFC and he is too. They both get excited over protein shakes...

When I got baptized LDS, the people I served with in the Catholic Church avoided me like the plague - like my condition is contagious... LOL. It took a while for me to rebuild those friendships - and it's all thanks to Facebook. Hah hah.

Edited by anatess

Hopefully they went to talk to the MP right after; can you imagine having to stay with your mission companion throughout his honeymoon?

dc

First off, mere attendance of the mass every Sunday "or the Saturday vigil", along with attending during the holy day's of obligation is only the absolute bare minimum requirement to be in good standing with the Catholic church, assuming you are also taking part in the sacraments and remaining compliant within there as well.  It's more then just showing up, doing your thing and leaving, be it this happens far too often these days, and I call those types cafeteria Catholics.  Being Catholic is a way of life, it's a belief system that transcends this world and it's a daily practice.  I strongly recommend talking to your local RCIA instructor, they should enlighten you as to what you are really leaving, and most that leave the church don't really know what they are tossing away for they have not remotely explored what it truly means to be Catholic at all.

Don't worry about having a Catholic funeral, your non attendance will disallow this to come about even if your family insists upon it, the churches policies are pretty firm in this department, and as I heard a priest mention one time, "They don't participate or practice the Catholic faith while living, why would they desire this after they die?".  My grandmother passed on a few years ago, she claimed the Catholic faith but refused any attendance or involvement even though I earnestly tried to get her to come to mass, she made up one excuse after another not to attend, but at least she received her last rites from a priest before she passed on.

There are many that choose to stop attending, stop being involved, stop living the way of life a proper Catholic does, only to come back to the church years later.  It's rarely at the prompting from someone in it, but prompted by the Holy Spirit, and nothing unusual with playing prodigal son in that aspect, it's almost a right of passage these days.  When you were baptized, it was for the purpose of removing original sin, it was also baptism into the Catholic church, and it's only a one time thing.  We accept many protestant baptism's for those that convert to the Catholic church as being equally valid, so no need to re-baptize as well.

There is a fullness in the church I never realized until several years ago, something I found in no other church even remotely, and this is something yet to be discovered by you and by many Catholics.  Sure, I was raised in the church, but that was a former life I like to think, it took the second time around to truly know what it means to be Catholic, and this was through extensive study, scrutiny and testing.  I take nothing on the surface, I have to know it, inside and out, and I ask questions, lots of them, the answers I receive have to have some form of scriptural roots, and this is what I find in all things, be it the dogma to the belief structure, to the traditions, to even the format of the mass to be.  But, it's something you have to desire to do on your own and nothing I can share is going to win you over on this one.  Take note, "this" Catholic is reaching out to you, so you can no longer say nobody in the church is doing this, yet I do admire the LDS towards their outreach, something I wish we had more of here. 

I find that "fitting in" is largely a frame of mind.  I say this as a person whom struggles with social situations, and have had to manually adjust the "I don't fit here" attitude.

As to people visiting around your birthday... it's the point of a birthday to remember that person?  If you are on Facebook, don't people whom you never talk to 364 days a year, wish you a happy birthday?   

I find that "fitting in" is largely a frame of mind.  I say this as a person whom struggles with social situations, and have had to manually adjust the "I don't fit here" attitude.

As to people visiting around your birthday... it's the point of a birthday to remember that person?  If you are on Facebook, don't people whom you never talk to 364 days a year, wish you a happy birthday?   

I think it is largely having nothing in common!  The thing that stands out was, no deep thinkers in the ward I was in, long, long ago. I'd share deep thoughts I had about scripture, or life in general, and get blank stares at the best. Mocking at the worst.  My parish folk, are deep thinkers too, and so we enjoy each others company, and if things get too deep, we have a glass of wine and talk about our priests. ;) I kid, I kid.

People assigned to wish me happy birthday, isn't really about me and my fabulous birth date. ;) It is about them, getting their assignment done. My birthday doesn't exist to stress people out with one more thing to do. Just chill, and stay with your friends and family, instead of coming around my house repeatedly until someone answers the door. :)

I keep my personal info on Facebook private. :)  

Edited by blueskye

The Catholic church isn't going to miss me.

And I'm not worried about the funeral.

When I was 13 I told the missionary girls in Salt Lake City that yes, I would come back later and join the church.  I also told my parents that. 

And I have to keep my word.  Even if it takes a long time.

blueskye you might read some of my other threads.  I'm already in far far over my head.  And that's the way I want it.

There are so many things that just fit right for me.

dc

David13, ditto for me, but the other way around. :) My husband has been instructed to dial up my parish, for those critical times, like serious illness or death. I hope that is a long ways off! But he knows, get me to a Catholic funeral. My Mormon family will not find that too their liking, but I don't want a Mormon funeral. I want people to send me off, at Mass, like it should be, with prayers said for my soul and my burial consecrated. It is one thing I worried about for a while, as I am the one and only Catholic in my family. Who will pray for my soul? But over time, I have made good Catholic friends, who will remember me.

Anyway, I'd read your other posts, but I don't know how without reading everything, which I don't have time to do. God bless you on your journey.

Edited by blueskye

That, of course, is anecdotal and mileage will vary.

I just had my neighbor who was baptized LDS when he was 8 and never been to church after he aged out of Primary at my house last Saturday yelling at the Werdum vs. Velasquez fight on PPV. Yes, we found out about him because I got called as Ward Missionary and he was on my list, otherwise, I wouldn't have known he was LDS. I wouldn't have knocked on his door otherwise. We never see him. He doesn't hang around in the neighborhood. And we don't make a habit of randomly knocking on neighbor's doors... But, with his name on my list, I stuck a note on his door telling him I'm from the Church and I live 3 doors down. He walked to my house with my note in hand when he got home and told me he's not interested in the Church at all. I shook his hand and invited him to dinner.

That was over a year ago. We remained friends since because my husband is big on gym and UFC and he is too. They both get excited over protein shakes...

When I got baptized LDS, the people I served with in the Catholic Church avoided me like the plague - like my condition is contagious... LOL. It took a while for me to rebuild those friendships - and it's all thanks to Facebook. Hah hah.

Of course, I can only relate my experience.

Also had someone who wrote me a letter once a month. I never met them. I think if they had passed me, walking the neighborhood, they wouod avoid me, not knowing the person they write to.

I live in an area that is economically all over the place. A neighborhood to the east of us we call the houses there, Downton Abbeys. Someone assigned to me once cane from a Downton Abbey, which was entertaining. She came over once. That's usually how it is. Someone comes around once and never seen again. I'm introverted so sure, I'm not going to go knocking on anyone's doors either. Especialky in the Abbeys, where people drive brand new Bentleys. I'm in my 10 year old Honda.

I keep to myself. Like to have a glass of wine or a smoke once in a while. The Mormon neighbors are put off by my small enjoyments of life. Don't have anything in common, really. That's really what it comes down to.

10 year old Honda, Bentleys?

Most definitely you should knock on those doors. 

You will find those people most gracious.  They have a thing called Noblesse Oblige.

dc

Of course I shouldn't say anything about your drinking wine and smoking cigarettes, but it reminds me of a song I was thinking of a lot lately ...

'Countin' flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all,

playin' solitaire til dawn, with a deck of 51,

smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo ...

Now don't tell me, I got nothin' to do ...'

Edited by David13

The pharisee and scribes did well along external show along compliance.... Jesus made it clear not to be like them, and my Catholic friend simply being real and relaxed, you attack?  For what purpose, and I have to ask, how in shape you are?  Me?  Jesus drank the forbidden "wine" on the last supper, he would be super due for a cig or cigar from heaven for all that's to come about his path on the next..... something none of us would volunteer for, but He Did!

Post your heart here my friend, all of you Catholic or LDS or what ever!  I have a sick feeling along LDS so far, it's getting deeper the longer I put up with them....  I know, not PC but I'm also being real!

The pharisee and scribes did well along external show along compliance.... Jesus made it clear not to be like them, and my Catholic friend simply being real and relaxed, you attack?  For what purpose, and I have to ask, how in shape you are?  Me?  Jesus drank the forbidden "wine" on the last supper, he would be super due for a cig or cigar from heaven for all that's to come about his path on the next..... something none of us would volunteer for, but He Did!

Post your heart here my friend, all of you Catholic or LDS or what ever!  I have a sick feeling along LDS so far, it's getting deeper the longer I put up with them....  I know, not PC but I'm also being real!

When heaven hands out cigs and cigars to Jesus I will be looking forward to observing your "in your face mormons!" victory dance..lol

Using tired arguments I haven't encountered since high school, its no wonder your feeling ill at ease amongst the LDS.

10 year old Honda, Bentleys?

Most definitely you should knock on those doors.

You will find those people most gracious. They have a thing called Noblesse Oblige.

dc

Of course I shouldn't say anything about your drinking wine and smoking cigarettes, but it reminds me of a song I was thinking of a lot lately ...

'Countin' flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all,

playin' solitaire til dawn, with a deck of 51,

smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo ...

Now don't tell me, I got nothin' to do ...'

Lol, haven't heard that song in a hundred years.

Here's how I see it, having been on both sides of the fence.

LDS view material wealth as a blessing, which indicates righteousness. The Abbeys are most righteous. Dude. I've had more than one LDS person tell me that poor Catholic countries are an indication of the nation's unrighteousness. I guarantee you, someone reading this now, agrees.

Catholics view materialism as the opposite of being Christian. Rich Catholics may or may not have guilt over their good fortune. But they know the parable of the rich young man, and the pulling of a camel through the eye of a needle. LDS live in denial of this parable.

My daughter knocked on the abbeys doors, while trick or treating, and came home with full size candy bars. All about the largesse, all the time. I'm sure it's funner than smoking cigarettes and watchin captain kangaroo.

It is the height of folly to live in a house of sand. I recognize I move from rock to sand to rock again, through the grace of Jesus. Mormons seem to have this unrealistic confidence that they are unfamiliar with the sands. I find that to be a put off. I'd rather hang with those who know they have a need, that is filled in Jesus Christ.

I don't really care if people smoke or drink, or not. Whatever. I'm an adult and I'm not doing anything sinful or illegal. I'd worry more about my soul if I were driving brand new Bentleys while a child goes naked and hungry.

Blueskye's broad brush is quite astounding. For example:

Lol, haven't heard that song in a hundred years.

LDS view material wealth as a blessing, which indicates righteousness.

Uhm, no we don't. LDS view material wealth as... uhm... material wealth... you know, "Be in the world but not OF the world?". Of course, individual Mormons have their own level of understanding of what that is. But, they don't reflect "LDS view..." - because that's saying the Church teaches it.

Catholics view materialism as the opposite of being Christian.

This is also not true. Those who take the vow of Holy Orders make the vow of poverty. But, that doesn't mean that "Catholics" look at material wealth as opposite of being Christian. If that's the case, the Vatican itself is opposite of being Christian. Rather, they see material wealth as something you use to help others.

All in all - the Catholic AND LDS view on material wealth is EXACTLY THE SAME.

Edited by anatess