For our engineers

10250071_10205744247021700_1420683528854

I like to hug my engineer brothers and tell them I love them to get them back for all the years of teasing.

In one of my professions, I was an Electrical Inspection and taught at a local college for 25 years at night. Had many engineers attend and was asked to teach at engineer dinners and meetings. Also I lecture every year at Georgia Tech University....I have a similar on Many 6th, I always love to lecture there, great questions and 4 hour class at $300.00 an hour. I had a similar recently for a group of builders and engineers, there I taught for 4 hours at $1,600.00. So, all about hugging...they pay well. Even as a police officer...could not be armed at Georgia Tech...even retired, I can elsewhere. This way with cash they do not have to pay a cop. :)

My degrees are in engineering, but I was never a very good engineer. My main problem was that I could always see too many different ways of doing something, and could never decide between them. I'd start working on a problem one way, then (no matter how well I'd thought I'd thought it out to begin with) I'd see a better way of doing it, which would mean undoing most of what I'd done already. (Changing horses in mid stream is rarely a good idea, but I've never been good at telling that to myself.) Then I'd realize my new "better" way had complications I hadn't foreseen and I'd have to start again. And the end result would usually be a mess. Maybe if I'd persevered I'd have sorted myself out eventually, but I chose to go into teaching - originally electronic engineering but now computing. Oddly enough, I'm a lot better at keeping students' projects on track than I am at controlling my own.

Everyday is "hug an engineer day" for me...my wife is an engineer!

But for all the other engineers I have to deal with on almost a daily basis, I like to stick with this quote:
"There comes a time in every project where you just have to shoot the engineer, and get the project done!"

Normally I do not like to get into much of a personal nature but I thought I would include this little tid-bit for the amusement of the forum.  I can hug my wife but beyond that; hugs do make me nervous.   Many friends and family love taking advantage of me because they think it all to be funny.  Last week was no exception.

Among my grandchildren is a two year old granddaughter that for some reason has become quite attached to grandpa.  She was born while living at our home so there has always been an interesting attachment.  I work at home and one of her favorite things to do is come sit on my lap while I am working.  She just sits there.  This is a very mischievous child that gets into everything but for some reason she will sit for a half hour or more when grandpa is working and then play for hours in my office.  She like me and I do not really know why - I like her too but that is different.  She and her family have moved to a new house so we do not see each other so often and I can get more done.

Last week we went out to eat with son and family and and little granddaughter demanded to sit with me - which is fine except that she wants to eat my food more than her's and she cannot sit and spend most of the time dancing on the seat (we are sitting on a corner booth) - I seem to be the only one in the world that tries to teach her anything.  Then my son with a smile says, "Give Papa a kiss".  I am use to this and offer a cheek - it is the best I can do.  But it was not enough - granddaughter screeks "No Papa" - grabs my head with both hands twisted me around and planted a very wet and slobbery kiss directly on my lips.  It was way over the top and required a napkin clean up - all the to joy and laughter of all present which only encouraged granddaughter to repeat the process again and again - until I had to finely put an end to the whole thing.  Why is it that the world has so little respect and concern for us engineers.  We try to contribute good things and get along with just about everybody.

Traveler, I would first like to say that I really respect you and your many wise contributions to this forum.

And then I would like to say: if I had been there, I would have totally egged your granddaughter on while my sides burst with laughter. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

My son in law is a Aero Space Engineer ...this is our conversation.....hey how's work going ? It's going good. What are you working on ? I can't tell you ...pppffffttttt.........Lol

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you... errr.. bore you to death.. ;)

My son in law is a Aero Space Engineer ...this is our conversation.....hey how's work going ? It's going good. What are you working on ? I can't tell you ...pppffffttttt.........Lol

Back when I use to work in the defense industry we were given “cover” so we could tell something when asked what we were doing.  We were even given “talking points” for resumes.  It was nuts – sometimes I would have to go through 5 security checks just to get to my desk.  One of my very smart co-workers (very smart in some way – no so smart at others) came to work with a T-shirt that said “My job is so secret even I do not know what I am doing.”  The humor of it all was lost and he was sent home to change. 

This very smart co-worker was put in charge of a “tiger team” to save a very important highly classified project.  I was also selected to work with him – (we worked together well).  Anyway we are having a debriefing meeting with top military brass at the offset of our involvement.  We were forced to wear coats and ties – most unusual for true engineers.  After outlining the problem the team was asked what we would do – my buddy actually leaped up onto the conference table, ripped open his shirt revealing a superman T-shirt and exclaimed; “This is a job that calls for Super Engineer”

The uniformed very anxious gentleman (with stars on his shoulders) sitting next to me gasped and asked me what on earth he was doing (but not with those words).  I simply told him “Don’t worry.  He has to be a really good engineer to get away with that.”

Just in case no one has ever noticed -- Engineers have a somewhat different sence of humor.

Edited by Traveler