Superstitions

Maureen

I consider myself a logical person but I still have superstitions. For example when it comes to sports entertainment, I'm very careful not to voice who I am cheering for publicly for fear of jinxing their outcome. If I say something out loud, i usually "knock on wood" to counteract the possibility of jinxing. But I'm going to be brave and logical today and say in public (this thread) that I am cheering for Jordan Spieth to win The Masters. The 4th round is starting right now.

Do you have superstitions? If so, what are they.

M.

I don't know about superstitions, but I have a belief in some sort of karma, for lack of a better term. So I get scared to criticize someone or their situation because it seems like if I do, I am subjected to the same thing later on.

I don't know about superstitions, but I have a belief in some sort of karma, for lack of a better term. So I get scared to criticize someone or their situation because it seems like if I do, I am subjected to the same thing later on.

I believe in karma too.

M.

I don't say anything positive to any of Palerider's posts.  It has me worried that he might actually think I like him.

But seriously...I can't think of any superstitions that I might have.

There are some Russian superstitions my wife has carried over with her, and one of them actually seems to hold up - which is that if you drop a spoon, it means you can expect company will be coming that day. I'm the American, so it never works for me, but she's the Russian, and every time she drops a spoon, she takes note of it, and sure enough, company arrives later in the day.

There are some others she observes.

Also, every time we leave the house on any kind of trip, in addition to a family prayer, we always say "Se Bogum" which means "With God."

There are some Russian superstitions my wife has carried over with her, and one of them actually seems to hold up - which is that if you drop a spoon, it means you can expect company will be coming that day. I'm the American, so it never works for me, but she's the Russian, and every time she drops a spoon, she takes note of it, and sure enough, company arrives later in the day.

There are some others she observes.

Also, every time we leave the house on any kind of trip, in addition to a family prayer, we always say "Se Bogum" which means "With God."

Interesting.  I learned that if your nose itches it means you will have unexpected company.  :)

Not a superstition necessarily, but an irrational nervousness that I have is toward any new-ish medications and medical treatments. Like, I want to get laser eye surgery at some point, but would also like to wait and see what happens with those who have had it done, what happens to their vision as they age. My eyes are bad, really bad, and I can't afford to let them get any worse. Maybe this really means that I don't trust doctors enough?

There are some Russian superstitions my wife has carried over with her, and one of them actually seems to hold up - which is that if you drop a spoon, it means you can expect company will be coming that day. I'm the American, so it never works for me, but she's the Russian, and every time she drops a spoon, she takes note of it, and sure enough, company arrives later in the day....

I've heard of that.

M.

I wasn't raised in a superstitious family and therefore have never been superstitious myself, but in the past, I have found myself spooked easily and was a believer in supernatural occurrences, etc. Nowadays I'm much less stirred by unexplained things, and while I still get freaked out occasionally, I try to remind myself that the supernatural is not real.

I believe that it is impossible for a honest person to win a political election - especially at the natinal lever.  That the only way someone can win is to have sold their soul to the dark side.

And this is a superstition how?

Vort. So funny! Have you seen a cartoon show called Young Justice? Your comment reminds me so much of Robin on that show. He was always doing funny things with words like that. One of them: "You're overwhelmed. Freeze was underwhelmed. Why isn't anyone every just whelmed."

My family is from back East and they are very superstitious.

It's bad luck to walk under a ladder.

If your left hand itches it means you will get unexpected money BUT if you scratch your hand NO money!

If your right hand itches it means you will get a bill or owe money out. Scratching it means nothing.

If you rock a rocking chair with no one in it, it means someone will die in the family.

If a grand father clock stops, you will hear that someone died at the same time the clock stopped.

If your nose itches it means you will kiss a fool.

A black cat crosses your path, you will earn riches... it's good luck.

You MUST cut both ends of a cucumber off and throw them away or you will get poisoned.

If you walk out of your house to leave to go somewhere you NEVER turn around and go back into the house unless when you get in the house you sit down for a few seconds. If you don't sit for a few seconds, you will have bad luck on the trip.

I am sure there are lots more my mom and dad believed in...but, can't think of them. For me... I am not superstitious, although if my left hand itches, I am sure not to scratch it. LOL