Considering Baptism and becoming a member in the LDS (Mormon) Church?

ladykaystone

So, I've had a long spiritual journey. And I'm absolutely the last person you'd expect to be trying to become Mormon. In the last year, I was baptized Episcopal and have joined a very liberal and wonderful community. But I can't stop thinking about the LDS Church. For one, I am fascinated with their "plan of Salvation" and other teachings, that I find myself saying , "yeah, okay that makes sense." And I actually believe the gospel.

I don't know if I believe that the Book of Mormon is literally true, but there is something special and divine about it. And yes, I do realize that the LDS Church isn't the best place for feminist and pro LGBTQ + people to find themselves in, but I am so drawn to it. 

I met with the missionaries last summer and had all the lessons, and was invited to be baptized. I declined, but I have been having dreams of baptism and converting to the church. 

But for those who read this and are part of the LDS Church, do you feel like there is a place for me and that I should work towards the Baptismal date I have set with the missionaries (which I have just met back up with this past week)?
I know it's a completely different ballpark than what I'm used to, but I feel called to experience this spirit of peace, and to become a baptized member of the Church of Latter Day Saints. 

Can someone tell me (in depth) what the baptismal service is like? What happens - if the jumpsuit is mandatory (do you wear it over your dress)? And what are your experiences of what it feels like?

I really feel this is where I am called to be.

So, I've had a long spiritual journey. And I'm absolutely the last person you'd expect to be trying to become Mormon. In the last year, I was baptized Episcopal and have joined a very liberal and wonderful community. But I can't stop thinking about the LDS Church. For one, I am fascinated with their "plan of Salvation" and other teachings, that I find myself saying , "yeah, okay that makes sense." And I actually believe the gospel.I don't know if I believe that the Book of Mormon is literally true, but there is something special and divine about it. And yes, I do realize that the LDS Church isn't the best place for feminist and pro LGBTQ + people to find themselves in, but I am so drawn to it. I met with the missionaries last summer and had all the lessons, and was invited to be baptized. I declined, but I have been having dreams of baptism and converting to the church. But for those who read this and are part of the LDS Church, do you feel like there is a place for me and that I should work towards the Baptismal date I have set with the missionaries (which I have just met back up with this past week)?I know it's a completely different ballpark than what I'm used to, but I feel called to experience this spirit of peace, and to become a baptized member of the Church of Latter Day Saints. Can someone tell me (in depth) what the baptismal service is like? What happens - if the jumpsuit is mandatory (do you wear it over your dress)? And what are your experiences of what it feels like?

Come on in the water is warm...and out of wisdom, let Christ's teaching become your own. Come as you are stripped of pride, and find what it truly means to rejoice and the joy of waking each day to something new and true.. Edited by Pa Pa

Baptism is the right step but it may be prudent to expect some surprises. I hope that any unpleasant surprises will be more than offset by the joys of new knowledge, the warmth of the Spirit, and a strong and positive confirmation that you have done the right thing.

CONGRATS ON yOUR PENDING BAPTISM!  :D

And welcome to the forum too  ;)

Here's link that explains the practical baptism stuff really well: http://www.ldspad.com/2007/10/04/a-converts-survival-guide-what-to-expect-at-your-baptism/

As to the jumpsuit, I don't think you *have* to wear it.  It's more just a practical thing: an outfit that's not going to float around in the water.  You sure as heck don't have to wear it the entire baptism service or take a photo in it (personally I like to bring another outfit for that, just for fashion reasons). 

And yes, I do realize that the LDS Church isn't the best place for feminist and pro LGBTQ + people to find themselves in, but I am so drawn to it. 

But for those who read this and are part of the LDS Church, do you feel like there is a place for me and that I should work towards the Baptismal date I have set with the missionaries (which I have just met back up with this past week)?

I know it's a completely different ballpark than what I'm used to, but I feel called to experience this spirit of peace, and to become a baptized member of the Church of Latter Day Saints. 

Can someone tell me (in depth) what the baptismal service is like? What happens - if the jumpsuit is mandatory (do you wear it over your dress)? And what are your experiences of what it feels like?

Welcome! You will find plenty of feminist and pro-LGBTQ folks in the LDS church. However, it is not a place for political activism. We don't preach political views from the pulpit or in classrooms. The doctrine of the Church would not support you personally being active/practicing LGBT, but you can hold your 'pro' views and be politically active outside of church. Just don't align yourself with a group that is openly anti-LDS. That will leave you in disfavor. They may have views contrary to LDS, but can't work against the Church as an entity. 

The jumpsuits are because the Church owns them and lends them to people on the day of baptism. If you had a full length white dress, which you didn't mind being dipped in, you can wear a dress. You get dunked all the way under and the dress will float, so you'll want to think about it not showing too much. It is a quick dunk, so I think you'd be alright. I don't know if there is a band that can be worn at the bottom....I ain't a lady, so I can't say I thought about it much, but I have seen dresses.

A lot of your comfort level at church will be based on your ward and the culture of that ward. Yes, we teach the same principles everywhere, and there are many of the same types of people in different wards, but depending on where you live, you could have an older ward, or a child infested ward, or singles ward, or a mid-western branch, or a Utah Corridor ward. Each are a bit different. Most probable, you will find a few good sisters who will hold you close and help you along the way. 

I'm a feminist.

My husband's best friend is gay.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by being feminist and pro-LGBTQ,though... the political descriptions of those things may not be really pragmatic.

For example - I'm a feminist but I don't agree that a woman must do exactly what men do to be equal. For example - I don't like watching WNBA because most of them walk like men, talk like men, play ball like men, and on the pan-outs I see men. And they're not as good as NBA. I'd rather see women play basketball than wanna-be-men. I love watching women Tennis. Even on the pan-outs, you see one of the most amazing athletes play... Like A Girl! And they can give Federer a run for his money! I'm a "Run like a girl and be proud of it" type. The Church is this kind of feminist which is really, really awesome.

The Church have been quite active in compassionate service in LGBTQ efforts. We are commanded to LOVE. But, we believe that having sex outside of marriage is a sin and that marriage is only between man and woman. So, you can be gay and be a member of the church in good standing as long as you avoid activities that lead you to sexual activity with the same gender.

But then, the Church is made up of imperfect people. I mean, that's what the Church does, isn't it? Try to help people overcome their weaknesses? If they were already perfect, there's really no need for Church... so, individual people in the Church can be bigoted sexist homophobes... doesn't mean they reflect the teachings of the Church.

Edited by anatess

I don't know if I believe that the Book of Mormon is literally true, but there is something special and divine about it. And yes, I do realize that the LDS Church isn't the best place for feminist and pro LGBTQ + people to find themselves in, but I am so drawn to it. 

I met with the missionaries last summer and had all the lessons, and was invited to be baptized. I declined, but I have been having dreams of baptism and converting to the church. 

I am only going to touch on the parts I quoted above.  Generally speaking the LDS church members run conservative.  Therefore you might find yourself alone if the if the subjects of politics comes up.  It shouldn't matter because we all all trying to come unto Christ, however that means we are all imperfect sinners so in our imperfection it could make it harder then it should be.

However there are some real practical limits depending on what you mean by being pro LGBTQ +  The church's stance is very clear that Sexual relationships are to be between a Man and a Woman legally and lawfully married.  Anything else is a sin.  This is not limited to just those in LGBTQ + relationships but also Men and Women that commit adultery or fornicate.  If you are in one of those relationships then you should not be allowed to be baptized and if you were a member you would be subject to church discipline.  Also if by pro LGBTQ + you mean to say that you don't think those relationships are sinful in the eyes of God, well that would be apostasy.  Depending on how hard you push that belief the church might need to take action.

If however by pro LGBTQ + you mean that people should be allowed to sin or not sin as they think is best, and that we should treat all of our brothers and sisters, no matter what their sin of choice,  as brothers and sisters...  Well that is really a pretty good place to stand.

Same general idea with feminist... It is going to greatly depend on what you mean by feminist.  We all all equal in the sight of God, yet we are also all different.  God seems to have no problem with Equal but Different.  Us mortals tend to have problems with it.  In the LDS faith our differences mean we have different roles to play in God's plan.  One biggie in the LDS faith is the Males being able to hold the Priesthood. Unfortunately some people assume this difference makes one gender better then the others, and they might act on that believe. When this is seen, a natural reaction is to try to remove these differences and make us all the same.  Rather then to try to deal with the pride that make such an assumption and/or covets power that they think someone else has.

?!

LOL! I know, right?

There's this ward in Houston that has 2 nurseries... there are about 40 nursery-aged kids, several of which are siblings. You can barely hear the sacrament prayer in the din of baby symphony.

LOL! I know, right?

There's this ward in Houston that has 2 nurseries... there are about 40 nursery-aged kids, several of which are siblings. You can barely hear the sacrament prayer in the din of baby symphony.

My ward has 3 nurseries.  

I've gotten so used to the racket, silence actually creeped me out at an adults-only activity we had recently.

Edited by Jane_Doe

There is a place for everyone in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who desires to take upon them the name of Christ and follow his teachings.

Read 3 Nephi chapter 11 and Moroni chapter 10, verses 3,4, and 5 in the Book of Mormon. Pray to know the truth of the book. If you pray with faith, truly desiring to know the truth, and willing to accept a witness of truth, you will get an answer. Once you receive the answer, it is up to you to act on it.

I know that this church is true, but don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself.

The devil does not want you to find the truth. He might make things difficult for you as you seek answers so beware.

I think the things to consider are diversity as it relates to unity or 'oneness'.  Diversity can mean different things to different people.  My opinion is that within the church's society, diversity has to do with the variety of talents that exist and not so much with a variety of lifestyles.  Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but those kind of things are incidental in that they really have no bearing on one's salvation.  Salvation is dependent on oneness with Jesus Christ.  The Protestant bumper sticker provides a good question: WWJD (what would Jesus do?).  Christ came to earth to provide an atonement, but He also came to set an example as to how we should behave.  All scripture is about teaching us children how we should behave in order to become one with Christ.  Salvation is dependent on becoming one with Christ.  Indeed, Christ says that 'if ye are not one, ye are not mine'.

Of course I could be mistaken, but the tenor of your original post was to the effect that you are conflicted about becoming a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (through baptism) because of some of your political/social views.  Specifically, that your are a feminist and may believe that the church's treatment of women is not what you would like it to be or think it ought to be.  Also, you may think that the church has the wrong position on the issues involving the  LBGT+ 'community'.

As you may be aware, the church holds women in the highest esteem, both in terms of the skills and talents that they can bring to the table as well as the observable fact that women are the glue that holds any society together.  I have read some of the feminist arguments (from women associated with the church) in favor of women holding the priesthood.  In the first place, it is not the men of the church that are preventing women from holding the priesthood (temple functions notwithstanding).  That is the Lord's decision, not man's.  If one cannot believe that Jesus Christ is the head of this church, then I don't see how one can believe this is the true church. 

My own belief is that women have power that men can never have and that is natural influence and natural social skills.  Men do not have the affinity with children that women have, and children will go to their mother's long before they will turn to their fathers.  Women, as I said, are also the glue that holds society together.  An example:  during my family reunions, in one room, all the women are chatting, sharing, socializing and having a wonderful time with each other.  In the next room, all the men are sitting in chairs, reading books or newspapers and no one is saying a word.  Of course, that is just my family, but I hope you get the idea.  Men are given the priesthood to teach them how to be of service and to give them something significant to do for the family; something that women naturally do.  If women held the priesthood, there would indeed be little if any need for men to be around.  The thing to remember that in the Celestial Kingdom, it is all about family.

In terms of the LBGT community: if it is the function of he church to prepare God's children for eternal marriage and eternal families (and it is), then LBGT folks have no access to that by reason of their behavior.  It is simply not compatible.  If the Celestial  Kingdom is all about families (and it is), LBGT folks by their choices, have removed themselves from that possibility.  There will be no adoption or IVF in the Celestial Kingdom.  There is no way for them to be part of a family there.  They will have as the scriptures say: "neither root or branch" (no ancestry or posterity). 

You say that you feel drawn to the LDS church.  I would take that to mean that that is the Holy Spirit calling you to join.  It is an invitation if you will.  But as I said, members of the church must conform to what Christ has said is the path, that is, to become one with Him and not assume that we can do or support something to the contrary and still be accepted by Christ.

Also if by pro LGBTQ + you mean to say that you don't think those relationships are sinful in the eyes of God, well that would be apostasy. Depending on how hard you push that belief the church might need to take action.

This statement has been bothering me since I saw it posted yesterday. I wouldn't want a prospective member feeling we had thought police in the church. The statement of "Depending on how hard you push that belief..." could be better qualified.

I would qualify it as saying you cannot align yourself with a group that disparages the Church. It does not mean you cannot belong to a group that supports your ideas, whether they be sin or not. I don't think belonging to an LGBT political action committee is cause for church discipline unless the PAC had an anti-LDS component. No need to split hairs on the fact that LGBT is not in alignment with church policy. It is different to have a faith contrary to church doctrine than it is to public decry the Church leadership.

This statement has been bothering me since I saw it posted yesterday. I wouldn't want a prospective member feeling we had thought police in the church. The statement of "Depending on how hard you push that belief..." could be better qualified.

I would qualify it as saying you cannot align yourself with a group that disparages the Church. It does not mean you cannot belong to a group that supports your ideas, whether they be sin or not. I don't think belonging to an LGBT political action committee is cause for church discipline unless the PAC had an anti-LDS component. No need to split hairs on the fact that LGBT is not in alignment with church policy. It is different to have a faith contrary to church doctrine than it is to public decry the Church leadership.

Sure I have no problem with expanding on what I meant.  The Church teaches that its is a sin.  Individuals are free to believe what they want.  So if someone wanted to believe that it wasn't they can.  

However if they start sharing that contrary belief  within the Church setting then they should expect to get correction.  Depending on how hard they push trying to convert people to this contrary belief they should expect the correction to be equally firm.

There are no "thought police" in the church unless you want to call a Bishop who is a common judge in Israel evaluating the situation according to church policy as thought police.  The Bishop is called and the Lord qualifies Him, so I think it improper to call him "thought police" since he is on the Lord's errand.  Members are not "thought police" either.  That is just a back handed way of saying you disagree with them and that they, in your view, have no right to comment.  I am not thought police.  I have no power to do anything to anyone for what they may think or say, so wherein is my power to police.  I am just of the opinion that if one claims to support the church in proclaiming the gospel and promoting the eternal ordinances, that it makes no sense to at the same time to be supporting behaviors contrary to that or that will not result in an eternal family.  I call that straddling the fence or trying to serve both God and mammon.  Jacob's admonition comes into play here: "choose you this day whom ye will serve".

I couldn't quite think of the right word.  :)

Child enriched ward

Child blessed ward

Child enlivened ward

child centered ward

or going the other way

child dominated ward

child plagued ward

child over-run ward

Would anybody care to add to the list, either good or bad? What sort of child ward is yours?

(with apologies to ladykaystone for this deviation from her original post)  

ladykaystone:  I have pondered engaging you in personal conversation through this forum.  As you and I have booth experienced - spirituality is a long journey (one reason I use the handle of The Traveler).   But you have not engaged since your initial post.  Though I have opinions - like music we both can bring something worthwhile to this table where we both meet and can both be enlightened together.  If you are still engaged in this thread and are interested in continuing - please post and I will tell you of my spiritual journey - and perhaps we, together, can see what we both can learn.

There are no "thought police" in the church unless you want to call a Bishop who is a common judge in Israel evaluating the situation according to church policy as thought police.  The Bishop is called and the Lord qualifies Him, so I think it improper to call him "thought police" since he is on the Lord's errand.  Members are not "thought police" either.  That is just a back handed way of saying you disagree with them and that they, in your view, have no right to comment.  I am not thought police.  I have no power to do anything to anyone for what they may think or say, so wherein is my power to police.  I am just of the opinion that if one claims to support the church in proclaiming the gospel and promoting the eternal ordinances, that it makes no sense to at the same time to be supporting behaviors contrary to that or that will not result in an eternal family.  I call that straddling the fence or trying to serve both God and mammon.  Jacob's admonition comes into play here: "choose you this day whom ye will serve".

In no way did I say anything remote to saying anyone on this thread was being the thought police. The context of the discussion is an investigator knowing how they would "fit" in the Church. As an investigator/new member, they will bring lots of "non-compliant" ideas/notions/precepts, etc. There will be no perfect knowledge in the gospel, for any of us, until we're long past dead. Having said that, my point is, as a new member, her contrary views will be allowed - or tolerated, as some of you hate hearing - until she has been taught the truth by the Spirit. It can take years. Short of giving a talk about LGBT in a sacrament meeting, I seriously doubt a bishop would pull someone aside to "correct" them - not a new member.

And yes, I do realize that the LDS Church isn't the best place for feminist and pro LGBTQ + people to find themselves in, but I am so drawn to it. 

ladykaystone, no matter who or what anybody is, has been ,or may become, the LDS church is the best place for anybody to be. It is the place, the vehicle, the sheep-fold, the healing place, that God has prepared to help His children return to Him in peace, happiness, safety and joy. 

Your dreams are telling you something. I was scheduled to be baptized but the day before I cancelled out on it.that night I had a dream and knew I had to call the missionarys and it was put back on. 35 yrs later my membership mean s everything to me. Being a member is my biggest blessing a lot with preparing myself for growth and strengths learn the gospel or any thing we take baby steps

We all have different issues. gifts trails. In my humble opinion I believe we all knew before were born the trails we would have in mortality, and we were still happy. Excited to come from the prexistancd to mortality we just can't remember it. So our trials are outside. The goal was to be born receive out bodies

And learn how to control them. If we're herterosexual, lgbgt, a sexual etc etc

None of this what ever road we are on is easy.our mortality is a time to learn, growth in faith, so we can get back to our eternal home some day. To use the blessing s of the gospel in its fullness. It doesn't matter what road were on there all hard. What mattersis letting our faith grow within us. I hope you've seen the video s on here about the lgbt. Don't let the earthly stuff keep you away from the Spirit ual stuff which is wAY **more important

Typo above suppose to read what ever road we are on, it is not easy, we might think their road is easier then ours, but theirs is hard too. God says that He will never give us anything that we can't handle. He knows us all and love s us all!!!***As I am writing this I want you to know that my life hasn't been easy and I am going through some thing hard right now (again) why I don't know it is hard truthfully I wish it was easier but what ever comes I'll handle it

I know that satan and his followers want to destroy God's plan, their best plan is to destroy us...We need to win the fight!!! Be warriors of light!! That's why we should all be wearing the cape taking that from another topic on here.

Were all in need of help,encouragement and strength....