I'm trying to learn about the LDS religion.  I've started to attend the Sunday service and their are missionaries that I talk to.  However, my mind is impatient, and I want to know more at a quicker rate.  I have notice though as I read the on the LDS website, there is a lot more to the religion than I thought.  It almost seems overwhelming at the amout of infomation available.  So my question is: is there a particular order to learn certain topics?  Are there certain books/study aids to read in a certain order to help me come to a better understanding.  Thanks.

I suggest to start with Gospel Principles. It's all basic teachings that puts the principle out there but doesn't go too deep as to be confusing.

You can read it online here:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng

And while you're going through that, you can also start reading the Book of Mormon here:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm?lang=eng

I suggest to start with Gospel Principles. It's all basic teachings that puts the principle out there but doesn't go too deep as to be confusing.

You can read it online here:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng

And while you're going through that, you can also start reading the Book of Mormon here:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm?lang=eng

I would echo these thoughts.  

Doctrine can go as deep or as shallow as you like. As suggested by anatess, Gospel Principles is a great place to start. It explains gospel principles in plain English, and provides scriptural references to back things up. Also as you study, its great to take notes of things that you don't quite understand, and I'm sure the missionaries would be happy to help you clear up your questions and concerns.

Yes, thank you all for your guidance.  I have not read all of the Book of Mormon.  So I suppose I will start there.  The missionaries are so helpful.  But I was to the point where I had so many questions; I was texting them 10-15 times a day.  It wasn't until I attended the Sunday service, and saw their schedule, and how busy they were.  Well...i  felt really bad for bugging them so much.  I am very thankful for the app available so books like Gospel Principles are available.  I will also start there as well.

I think a lot of what is found at lds.org, etc is periphery. It's not bad at all, just a whole lot of extensions of what the church is about. In my humble and earnest opinion, read the Book of Mormon. This is the keystone of our faith and who and what we are about. It was so important to the Lord that the Book of Mormon come forth, that He had Joseph Smith translate and publish the record before restoring the fullness of the gospel, for the very fullness is contained in the book. I am also impatient and I have found that listening to the Book of Mormon on mp3 at work allows me to get through it in three days. I can get through all the scriptures in about three to four weeks (Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C, PoGP) and then start over. This repetitive pattern of reading over and over again has opened up my mind to the deeper layers found in the scriptures. If you prayerfully study the Book of Mormon in this manner, I am confident that you will not only begin to understand what we believe, but you will also be filled with the Holy Spirit as you do so. 

Just the first two books (1st and 2nd Nephi) are enough to teach you because Nephi's own life can be viewed as an allegory to the path that each of us must take to come unto Christ. LDS members will be able to relate Nephi's life as "Adam" who is cast out from his home in Eden, goes into the wilderness and after having been true and faithful is brought back into God's presence. Nephi's inclusion of Isaiah is very specific and purposeful. 

The many other prophets/kings/judges are chronicled to give us more examples of the doctrines that we believe in while weaving some of the deeper mysteries of God. Jesus Christ's visit to this people also gives us important information concerning their relevance as part of the House of Israel. The wars, contentions and secret combinations (conspiracies) teach us, the readers, what to avoid in our lives as we struggle in our own world to live in a society where Satan is constantly battling for control. 

Read the Book of Mormon. You truly cannot read it enough times. Trust me. :)

Edited by skalenfehl

I have found that listening to the Book of Mormon on mp3 at work allows me to get through it in three days. I can get through all the scriptures in about three to four weeks (Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C, PoGP) and then start over. This repetitive pattern of reading over and over again has opened up my mind to the deeper layers found in the scriptures.

Excellent idea, thank you.

Yes, thank you all for your guidance.  I have not read all of the Book of Mormon.  So I suppose I will start there.  The missionaries are so helpful.  But I was to the point where I had so many questions; I was texting them 10-15 times a day.  It wasn't until I attended the Sunday service, and saw their schedule, and how busy they were.  Well...i  felt really bad for bugging them so much.  I am very thankful for the app available so books like Gospel Principles are available.  I will also start there as well.

Nemo, the missionaries are there, called by God, to help people learn.  By asking them questions you are letting them fulfill that divine calling, and totally making their day!  Don't feel bad about that!!  Please, ask all the questions your heart desires, knocking so the truth may be open to you.

Don't ever feel bad about bugging the missionaries too much. That's what they are there for.

Don't ever feel bad about bugging the missionaries too much. That's what they are there for.

Missionaries are constantly seeking day in and day out for people to teach. That is what they do. There is really nothing they enjoy more to do with their time, than to help people understand the gospel. It is good that they are busy. They will do their best to answer your questions when they are able, and you should not feel bad about that.

You can certainly ask questions and find answers in these forums, and we will do our best to help you. But keep in mind that the missionaries are called by God to help YOU to learn the gospel.

I echo what others are saying that there's no such thing as "asking too many questions" to a missionary.

But, if you have a question for the missionaries and they happen to be occupied with other tasks, or if it's late at night, etc., you can also reach out to online missionaries at Mormon.org. Click the chat button on the top right of the home page and a missionary pair is going to chat with you to answer your questions. It's available 24/7.

I am also impatient and I have found that listening to the Book of Mormon on mp3 at work allows me to get through it in three days. I can get through all the scriptures in about three to four weeks (Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C, PoGP) and then start over.

Now that's dedication - I am super-impressed with how you manage to do that! Do you skim through parts or listen to it all? How do you do work and concentrate on the scriptures at the same time? I tried listening to scriptures on mp3 during my drive to and from work (a total of about an hour) but found it distracted me too much from driving as I kept wanting to replay certain bits to understand them better. For safety's sake I stopped listening to scriptures in the car, which is sad since it's pretty much the only time I get alone during the day and can concentrate on spiritual rather than temporal things. 

For safety's sake I stopped listening to scriptures in the car, which is sad since it's pretty much the only time I get alone during the day and can concentrate on spiritual rather than temporal things. 

I'd say it can be fairly difficult to concentrate on spiritual things when the temporal semi-truck next to me is changing into my lane.

I tried listening to scriptures on mp3 during my drive to and from work (a total of about an hour) but found it distracted me too much from driving as I kept wanting to replay certain bits to understand them better. 

I'd say it can be fairly difficult to concentrate on spiritual things when the temporal semi-truck next to me is changing into my lane.

This is interesting, I always have audio going while driving, either podcast, scripture, audio book, or music. I don't find it distracting at all.

I find it super hard to sing and play an instrument at the same time though, while others have no problem. I think the skill set might be related some how. The differences between people are interesting!

Now that's dedication - I am super-impressed with how you manage to do that! Do you skim through parts or listen to it all? How do you do work and concentrate on the scriptures at the same time? I tried listening to scriptures on mp3 during my drive to and from work (a total of about an hour) but found it distracted me too much from driving as I kept wanting to replay certain bits to understand them better. For safety's sake I stopped listening to scriptures in the car, which is sad since it's pretty much the only time I get alone during the day and can concentrate on spiritual rather than temporal things. 

I work in a production facility so my work is extremely repetitive and I'm efficient at it. I suppose you could compare it to washing dishes all day. Anyway, we are all allowed to listen to our mp3 players (excluding forklift operators, etc) while we work. It passes the time. I used to listen to music, then I got bored of it. I have not skimmed through anything. I've listened to all standard works multiple times. In the last couple years, I've probably listened to the Book of Mormon at least 50 times in both English and Spanish. When I get home, I spend my free time pondering what I've listened to, researching reference materials, reading books and commentaries by authors such as Gileadi, Nibley, etc. My mind has been opened to up to many wonderful and powerful insights. I have truly feasted on the words of Christ and have been filled with the Spirit. I don't watch TV or spend my free time doing much else. I've read the Book of Mormon almost 100 times in my life and I've finally begun to understand the things that Isaiah taught, etc. I plan to spend more time studying Isaiah, Ezekiel, Paul, etc. Oh, and Joseph Smith. People might say the Old Testament and some of the doctrines, which I study are not relevant, but I tell you they are more relevant than ever. They point to us. They are all telling us exactly where we're headed.

• 3 weeks later...

As a former missionary myself.   Let me echo what has been said.  Ask away.  They would much rather be spending time with someone that is sincerely seeking to understand than to be out knocking doors and being turned away.   Ask questions, observe, contemplate.   Take your time.  While the missionaries will be excited to get you to the waters of baptism (and we will be excited for you as well) it is a big step, and the covenants and obligations of baptism are serious ones.  Make sure that you understand them.  If you aren't comfortable with something, ask questions, study, and pray until you understand/and are comfortable with it. 

In the end, there isn't an end.  This is an eternal thing.  You don't have to know everything right now, you have years to learn all that.  :)