Called as Cub Scout leader

scdoyle

I've recently been called to be a cub scout leader working with the Wolves in our ward. Having not grown up in the church I have very little knowledge of the scouting program. Looking through the Wolf handbook, it seems that most of the activities are things they do at home with their parents. I don't see many activities for me to do with the kids on scout night.  Anybody here who's served as a scout leader have any recommendations? Can I do activities from the Bear book to give them a head start when they advance?

Many of the activities can also be done with the Den Leader. Often times this includes fun skill building crafts. Also it is always fun to put together field trips to view nature, or derby cars, or float little wooden boats down a nearby stream (if there is one)

I've recently been called to be a cub scout leader working with the Wolves in our ward. Having not grown up in the church I have very little knowledge of the scouting program. Looking through the Wolf handbook, it seems that most of the activities are things they do at home with their parents. I don't see many activities for me to do with the kids on scout night.  Anybody here who's served as a scout leader have any recommendations? Can I do activities from the Bear book to give them a head start when they advance?

Hi! I'm the Den Mother for a combined Wolf/Bear den. I pretty much follow this outline from the BSA for my den. The things marked HA are the things they do at home. We only meet twice a month as a den. Basically, our schedule goes like this - Week 1 = pack meeting, Week 2 = Den Meeting, Week 3 = Home Assignments (no den meeting), Week 4 = Den Meeting. We don't meet in June, July, and August and on Christmas and Spring breaks, except for one Pack Meeting each month, but we still hand out Home Assignments.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide/WolfDenPlans.aspx

Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention, Every April, we do Faith in God activities. They are the ones that has a "scout knot" mark on the pamphlet. This is coordinated through the Primary Presidency, though, so your Primary president may have a plan already in place for what you need to cover in the Wolf Den.

I also forgot to mention that the BSA Handbook is changing this year. The new books are going out in May and is supposed to be what we're going to start to follow come September. I'm still not sure how the new handbook affects our Den Meeting Plans. There's gonna be a change in requirements, I think.

And one last thing - the Pack Meeting at the first week of each month is set up by the Cub Scoutmaster and his assistant. They reserve a section of Pack Meeting to present Den work - so, if you have a requirement that needs a presentation to a pack, this is when you can do it.

Roundtable is a monthly district wide meeting for scout leader training.  If you don't know when and where it is, check your local council website or contact your scout service center.  For further training check out woodbadge.  It is a rather intensive and life changing course.

As far as the program goes, most things in the current program can be done by the den leader or the parents. A few things are specified to be either done by the family or in the den, but most can be done either place.

You should also be advised that the Cub Scout program is changing radically soon.  The date for LDS units is June 1.  You will particularly want to attend Roundtable for training on this, and check with your local service center for more information.

They also hold Stake-wide Scout Leader Training.  This usually happens with the rest of the Primary Teachers training.  They discuss a lot of the scout activities that count towards Faith in God and some LDS specific Duty to God activities that you do with the Scout Program.  It talks about LDS rules for camping and such.  I actually have never attended this... they always held it when I had to work!

You can do a great deal of good for those boys. Cub Scouts is a fun place where the boys can be a part of a larger group, even if it's just a small den. If run at all conscientiously, it's a wonderful program. My own sons have benefited a great deal from it. Please take the calling seriously. If it's done well, those boys will probably remember you (if not your name) for the rest of their lives, and will look back on their Cub Scout experience with great fondness.

Boys between 8 and 10 are very sweet and very silly. Just go with that. Uncontrolled screaming and jumping off everything is overboard and probably not wise, but let them be boys. They are not little girls and should not be expected to act like little girls, sitting quietly and reading. That's what's so great about Cub Scouts. Boys get to be boys and DO things!

• 2 months later...

There is a completely new cub scouting program this year.  On the BSA site, there is a LDS-oriented training.   Don't forget to do your safety training first thing, and complete your registration.   Both are now mandatory before you work with the boys (BSA, not the church,  but should be).