cell phones in the temple

scdoyle

So my wife was at the temple yesterday with her mom who is an ordinance worker. She had some extra time before the endowment session started, so she went to the cafeteria to get a bite to eat. As she’s sitting there she takes out her phone (which was in airplane mode) so she can read scriptures. A temple worker approached her and told her she wasn’t allowed to have a phone in the temple. My wife explained that she was just reading her scriptures and that “phone” part was disabled. The worker told her it doesn’t matter and that she should have brought her physical scriptures if she wanted to read. My wife was really upset to the point that she started crying and it took a lot for her to compose herself enough to make it through the session. So, is this “no phones allowed” a new rule in the temple or just one we never knew? Or is it not a rule at all and this worker is overstepping her authority?

I have a dim recollection of seeing "no phones/cameras past this point" at some TR desks.  I think the SL temple might even have a camera-check--or at least, I think it used to.

Even if there are no such signs, it just seems like a logical step given how clearly we are told a) that temple proceedings are not to be recorded/disseminated, and b) that the temple is a place where we leave behind the things of the outside world; that recording devices and devices that serve primarily to connect us with the outside world would be frowned upon if not outright banned.   I understand the idea of bringing it along and reading scriptures off it, but--for better or for worse--temples are not generally intended or understood to be places for in-depth scripture study.  (Meditation?  Yes.  Prayer?  Most certainly.  Scripture study?  Not really.)

So my wife was at the temple yesterday with her mom who is an ordinance worker. She had some extra time before the endowment session started, so she went to the cafeteria to get a bite to eat. As she’s sitting there she takes out her phone (which was in airplane mode) so she can read scriptures. A temple worker approached her and told her she wasn’t allowed to have a phone in the temple. My wife explained that she was just reading her scriptures and that “phone” part was disabled. The worker told her it doesn’t matter and that she should have brought her physical scriptures if she wanted to read. My wife was really upset to the point that she started crying and it took a lot for her to compose herself enough to make it through the session. So, is this “no phones allowed” a new rule in the temple or just one we never knew? Or is it not a rule at all and this worker is overstepping her authority?

I would ask the temple president for the specific rules at that temple (they do vary).

In my experience temples have plenty of scriptures available for scripture study, if that is what a person wishes to do.

I also seem to recall multiple advice on keeping your phone out of the temple/in your locker.

Sorry about your wife, but I personally find the phones inappropriate.

Some folks try to smuggle recording devices into the temple for whatever nefarious reason.  "No electronic devices" seems like a common-sense response, IMO.

So how come your wife started crying?  Was the ordinance worker rude or something?

Some people are much more sensitive to conflict or doing something wrong than others. That would be my guess on the crying.

I agree with the assessment that the rule is in place to prevent individuals from smuggling in recording devices "for what ever nefarious reason."

It was a simple mistake, no harm done.

I have seen signs reminding you to shut phone off. Never have seen a sign stating no phone at all.

I did get into it with a Temple Worker once. I got dressed and went around corner to wait for the next session to start because I did not want to attend the session that was getting ready to start. Temple worker walked by and told me I couldn't sit there. I looked at him and said... I don't see what it's hurting ... He told me I had my Priesthood packet and couldn't sit there. I again repeated myself ... After a few minutes I got up and walked away and he then started to follow me.

I got a talking to also. I was actually in the entry- not even past the gate keepers and needed to contact my husband who was meeting me there. Pulled out my phone to text or call him and was ordered to put it away or go outside. So I went out. Not a big deal but I was surprised by how swift and stern the instructions were. And the person who told me this was my best friend's mom. They must really drill that rule into the workers to deal with it almost like it were a gun. I can see why but I don't see the need to be punitive about it.

When attending the temple, take as little as possible inside. Bathe before going, if possible. Leave your wallet, money, phone, etc, in the car or the locker. Richard G. Scott said to "remove you watch when you enter a house of the Lord."

Although your wife's use of the phone to read scriptures was appropriate, there was no way for the temple worker to know, or anyone else that was there. The appearance of your wife looking at a phone in the temple is not appropriate. The temple worker was correct in what they asked.

The temple is a refuge from the world. I am sure that the world has been trying to creep inside the temple with electronics at an increasing rate, and the workers will do their best to keep the temples as heavenly as possible.

The temple that I attend has many sets of scriptures located throughout the building. I am certain if you asked a worker to get a set for you they would do so.

Edited by Str8Shooter

I saw a facebook post a couple of months ago where someone had recorded a storm that was going on outside our local temple. The recording was taken from inside the temple, looking out through a window at the wind and chaos going on outdoors.

I also wonder if the phone ban in temples might be a reaction to the social media obsessed generation we have become. So many people now feel the need to record absolutely everything, even what should be the most private and sacred moments of their lives (eg. births, precious moments with children, intimate moments with lovers and friends or sick relatives, funerals, etc). If there wasn't a specific prohibition on speaking of sacred things outside of the temple (let alone recording them), I imagine we'd be seeing 'my first endowment session' recorded in glorious technicolour detail on facebook the second it happened.

The phone ban has been in place for a long time. It was already firmly in place when I worked at my local temple for a period of time in 2007 - eight years ago. It was drilled into me at the time by multiple members of staff and the temple presidency and I witnessed several people being told politely but firmly to not use their phone at all while in the temple, including one instance in the cafeteria. I personally was instructed not only not use my phone, but to never physically carry it past the lockers - that was just before my endowment.

There was never any exception given to this rule, such as what the phone is actually being used for. It doesn't matter unfortunately, they are quite strict about it.

So it's not a new rule by any means. The temple worker should have been a little more diplomatic, but they were right.

Edited by Mahone

like it were a gun.

On windy days my suit coat blows open.  I'm usually pretty good at keeping my hand at my side to stay concealed, but one of these days as I go inside I can just imagine that the jacket is going to blow open.  Those are always "fun" conversations...

The policy is in place because phones can be used to record. Most of what you find on the net are from people recording as their final rebellious act before leaving. But it does seem at times their can be more rules than blessings. We all have a little Pharisees in us at times...even Temple Workers.

I don't take my phone into Sunday Church let alone to the Temple. I do have an ipad that I use just for Church purposes... including scripture study, while doing my callings, journals, choir, etc. I don't take the ipad into the temple. I leave it in the car.

I have done this practice as part of my Sabbath observance.

Well, this weekend we had stake conference and our temple president was there. After the meeting my wife spoke with him about her experience. While he did explain that all electronic devices must be turned off and put away, temple workers are not to police their use. Just to mention that they are not allowed and leave it at that. He did say that the temple worker did not handle the situation appropriately and he would be having a meeting with the temple staff to explain how to handle these situations.

He explained that the reason for the policy is, as some you mentioned, that we shouldn't make worldly items part of our temple experience. Also, because they have cameras. He said 24 hours after the newest temple video was shown it was already up on YouTube. Yikes!

I'm not LDS but to me it makes sense that you don't bring electronics into the temple. And if you do, leave it off, entirely - don't access it. I do the same thing for cinemas. I turn my iPhone completely dead off. I don't sleep it, I kill it off. While a religious building and a cinema are different, the two require a degree of no disturbance, so that's why I compared the two. Though I should probably add, for religious buildings, I would guess many "temple types" prefer or have a rule about keeping worldly possessions outside.