LDS.net vs. Facebook and LinkedIn

prisonchaplain

Whenever I cross-post at LDS.net, Facebook, and LinkedIn, I notice that, by far, I get the most views here.  Often it is by a magnitude of more than 10-fold.  Granted, I'm not terribly prolific at the other sites, but still...WOW.  Am I the only one, or have others noticed this?

How can one see how many views a Facebook post has received? I didn't even know that was possible.

It may be apples and oranges, because I have to go by "likes" on FB.  However, LinkedIn allows me to see views, and there's no comparison between here and there.  My most-visited post had about 32 views, and I'm almost always over 100 here--even when I just post sermon notes. In fact, I just checked my Easter sermon notes.  215 views.  :-)

Edited by prisonchaplain

Crypto, that seems self-evident, but is it?  Well over 70% of Americans still call ourselves Christians.  Unless the business world has turned truly hostile, have brave does one have to be to read a religiously-oriented post at LinkedIn?  I get that people may not want to "like" one--but viewers remain anonymous. 

Besides, this might not be a problem with FB or LinkedIn.  Rather, it demonstrates that LDS.net might be quite a bit more popular and exposed than most of us realize.  If the Pentecostal preacher gets more views on his Easter sermon at an LDS website than actually heard it when it was delivered, that's ... well...it's certainly interesting.

Edited by prisonchaplain

A couple of random observations:

1.  I know LinkedIn tries to act like a "social network"--a "professional Facebook", or something--but in my mind, it just isn't.  I see it as a tool for finding potential clients and employers and, to a lesser extent, identifying possible colleague to consult with on a difficult professional problem; but otherwise--I'm just not interested on what people post there.  If a lot of other people share my view of LinkedIn, that might be part of the issue.

2.  I have a cousin who's involved in the music ministry of his Evangelical church, and he's posting songs, sermons, and scriptures quite frequently.  It's kind of at the point where I just think "oh, well, that's what he does" and I don't make it a high priority to go over and read/listen to whatever he's put up.  On the other hand, when PC puts something out specifically for his Mormon brethren to read (and maybe pick apart), I automatically figure "well, this MUST be good!" and I'm more inclined to click on over.  :)

Whenever I cross-post at LDS.net, Facebook, and LinkedIn, I notice that, by far, I get the most views here.  Often it is by a magnitude of more than 10-fold.  Granted, I'm not terribly prolific at the other sites, but still...WOW.  Am I the only one, or have others noticed this?

I haven't signed up at linked-in yet.

I don't take Facebook seriously anymore. I enjoyed it when it was new back in '08. Today it's become a cesspool of memes and themes. I am more likely to click on a link that is posted here than I would if it was posted there, even religious ones. Simply stated, I don't go to Facebook to be inspired. 

I get a lot of joy and info from FB. I can chat with people I know in Korea, Denmark, and Norway, not to mention Colorado or Washington State. Professional colleagues from all over the place post about news in our discipline and we can have some meaningful conversations. I also belong to a number of animal rights/ health/ plant-based eating boards and get a lot of info and help and again, from folks all over the world. It's wonderful.

The one difference I find between this place and the LDS social board I'm on in FB is that I can ask religious questions here in anonymity (tho I've probably given enough hints, someone here could find me if they tried). Sometimes you need that. And, you guys know me, sometimes you need a deeper answer than 'pray on it.'

Facebook is a great place to stay in touch with people you actually know and want to hear from.    It's also a halfway decent way to find people with similar interests.  But LDS.net draws anonymous attention, while Facebook people basically have to put their name to their interests, because it's wise to not trust privacy settings.  Some folks are willing to do so, but not as many as are willing to come to lds.net and anonymously comment on things.

I like Facebook.  Viva la mindless cat video brain dump cesspool of memes and themes!  It's a good way to find people in your eclectic demographic.  

xkx8vs.jpg