Sealing to Children and Mother

armygal321

I am wanting to know if I will ever be able to be sealed to my children.  I am married and my husband is un active and not willing to become an active member.  My children and I are active and they wish so badly to be sealed to my husband and I. Sadly I know being sealed to my husband is not an option but if I am an active member do I being a female have the option??

Edited by armygal321

A sealing is a covenant between mom, dad, and the kids.  It is saying "we (person X, Y, and Z) want to be a family through eternity".  You cannot force anyone to choose to be a part of the family.

While your husband is alive, it is his responsibility to choose to be sealed to you first, and then the kids.  So, things will have to wait until he decides that.

If he passes away before decided he wants to be sealed, then you can have his work done posthumously, both the marriage sealing and sealing to parents.  The hope is that he chooses to honor that sealing in the next life.  

If, in the next life, he chooses to not be sealed as a family, then that is his choice alone.  You and your children will still be sealed, even if he doesn't want any of it.  

Note: this answer is the same for any couple where one spouse is active and the other is not.  I just referred to the inactive spouse in this case as "he" because it's the relevant gender in the OP.  

*Edited for clarity.

Edited by Jane_Doe

...While your husband is alive, it is his responsibility to choose to be sealed to you first, and then the kids.  So, things will have to wait until he decides that....

(Note: this answer is consistent for both genders).

The husband is responsible? Shouldn't this be something both are responsible for? I understand this particular husband is not interested but to say that he alone is responsible seems odd, since marriage is a partnership.

M. 

The husband is responsible? Shouldn't this be something both are responsible for? I understand this particular husband is not interested but to say that he alone is responsible seems odd, since marriage is a partnership.

M. 

I meant to indicate that the story would be the same if it was the husband was active and the wife inactive.  I'll edit the above post for clarity.

Is it more clear now?

Edited by Jane_Doe

As far as child-to-parent sealing goes, people are not sealed to a mother, or to a father. People are sealed to a married couple. No exceptions. The ideal is "born in the covenant", which presupposes a covenant of marriage between husband and wife. Sealing to parents makes the child-parent relationship identical with those "born in the covenant".

So in brief, no, children cannot be sealed only to their mother, because that doesn't make sense. It defies the very meaning of "sealing". But don't despair; live your life well and teach your children well, and you will see things work out.

I meant to indicate that the story would be the same if it was the husband was active and the wife inactive.  I'll edit the above post for clarity.

Is it more clear now?

Hey Jane, so are you saying that if it was the other way around, with the wife being inactive then this would apply?

While your wife is alive, it is her responsibility to choose to be sealed to you first, and then the kids.

M. 

Hey Jane, so are you saying that if it was the other way around, with the wife being inactive then this would apply?

While your wife is alive, it is her responsibility to choose to be sealed to you first, and then the kids.

M. 

Correct.   Both spouses have to choose to be sealed as a marriage first, and then kids to the couple.

I am wanting to know if I will ever be able to be sealed to my children.  I am married and my husband is un active and not willing to become an active member.  My children and I are active and they wish so badly to be sealed to my husband and I. Sadly I know being sealed to my husband is not an option but if I am an active member do I being a female have the option??

Do not lose faith.  You never know what will happen.  My cousin's husband, after more than 20 years of marriage, joined the church and he and his wife along with their 12 children (yes! 12) were finally all sealed together.

Continue to be an example, and do your part by remaining active and helping your children to gain testimonies of the gospel.  If your husband never becomes active, after death, your posterity, or you, will be able to have the temple work done by proxy.