Spiritual Gifts...can anyone have all?

Pa Pa

I posted a thread of my son-in-law was healed due to a blessing my son and I gave him.

In the Doctrine and Covenants it lists all of the Spiritual gifts with the language..."to some it is given and to another it is given" (hope I quoted it correctly).

When my oldest daughter was 5, she had a medical issue that doctors sad could only corrected by surgery. I (with the help of a missionary) gave her a blessing and she was healed and did not need surgery.

When my wife was found to have a lump in her breast and was supposed to have surgery...I blessed her with the help of another Elder and she was healed.

Now in the D&C, it says that "some have the gift to heal and others the gift to be healed".

I have two illnesses that I have gotten blessings for but no healing. Once while very sick and received a blessing...later that night I was hospitalized and spent three days in the hospital.

If anyone is to be healed, I would rather it be my family...so to the question.

Can someone have both or all gifts? (This is probably be a great question for "Ask Gramps".)

I welcome any replies. :)

Sure, someone could have both gifts. Someone could conceivably have all the gifts of the spirit; that's what we are supposed to aim for. But those gifts must number in the hundreds or thousands, so I suspect few of us will actually achieve that level of spiritual competence in this life.

For some reason, I vaguely remember hearing in a church lesson that bishops have the right to all spiritual gifts.  Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

I remember Truman Madsen mentioning this as a sort of aside in his Joseph Smith lectures, but I don't know his scriptural reference for it.

This is a great question! I was just reading D&C 46:12 "To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby." In my opinion various spiritual gifts are distributed among different people because that way we can learn to rely on and help each other. I also believe, however, that spiritual gifts can be developed through a combination of our diligent inquiry and effort coupled with God's will. As we serve in callings and endeavor to live faithful lives I believe the gifts we need will be granted to us at the time we need them. Whether that could be considered having "all" gifts or not, I don't know, but with God all things are truly possible.

I would say, that during this life, we will not develop all gifts.  We each have weaknesses and things we are lacking, which keeps us humble and reminds us that we need each other.  

In the ternaries, it is quite possible for us to develop all gifts, but not yet today.

As pertaining to the question, I believe the answer is yes, and that anyone can have all gifts if they have the faith and action to precede God bestowing all of the gifts of the Spirit upon them.

If we have sufficient faith, and having all spiritual gifts agrees with God's will, then there isn't any reason for it to be withheld.

Nephi's experience in the Book of Mormon suggest as long as we will do nothing against the will of the Lord, and have proven this like Nephi, there isn't any reason for it to be kept from us.

However, like others have mentioned, how many of us are wiling to pay the price of faith to achieve such (D&C 130: 20-21).

An individual may have one, both or all, depending upon his desires to seek them. We read in several places in the Book of Mormon, including Alma and Moroni what the many gifts are. Where much is given, much is required. The Lord gives us gifts according to our desires, diligence in obeying Him and using the gifts we seek (or have been already given) to bless the lives of others. 

21 Having been visited by the Spirit of God; having conversed with angels, and having been spoken unto by the voice of the Lord; and having the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and also many gifts, the gift of speaking with tongues, and the gift of preaching, and the gift of the Holy Ghost, and the gift of translation...

For behold, to one is given by the Spirit of God, that he may teach the word of wisdom;

10 And to another, that he may teach the word ofknowledge by the same Spirit;

11 And to another, exceedingly great faith; and to another, the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

12 And again, to another, that he may work mightymiracles;

13 And again, to another, that he may prophesy concerning all things;

14 And again, to another, the beholding of angels and ministering spirits;

15 And again, to another, all kinds of tongues;

16 And again, to another, the interpretation oflanguages and of divers kinds of tongues.

17 And all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will...

This is a great question! I was just reading D&C 46:12 "To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby." In my opinion various spiritual gifts are distributed among different people because that way we can learn to rely on and help each other. I also believe, however, that spiritual gifts can be developed through a combination of our diligent inquiry and effort coupled with God's will. As we serve in callings and endeavor to live faithful lives I believe the gifts we need will be granted to us at the time we need them. Whether that could be considered having "all" gifts or not, I don't know, but with God all things are truly possible.

Good reply...maybe what I lack is the faith to be healed. My mother was not a member but had faith like no one I have ever known. Once I was in the hospital and was unconscious and thrashing about my wife tells me that when she arrived she walked over and put her hand on my forehead and I stopped thrashing around. I think mothers have a power that fathers only wish they could have. I was lucky to have my mother for 56 years...even now I cannot bring myself to delete her phone number from my cell phone.

Just read an interesting quote that I think adds another dimension to the discussion about the gift of healing/being healed:

Heather wrote: “This day was filled with mixed emotions for me. I was convinced that Elder Bednar would place his hands on [John’s] head and completely heal him of the cancer. I knew that through the power of the priesthood he could be healed, and I wanted so bad for that to happen. After he taught us about the faith to not be healed, I was terrified. Up to that point, I had never had to come to grips with the fact that the Lord’s plan might include losing my new husband. My faith was dependent upon the outcomes I wanted. In a manner of speaking, it was one-dimensional. Though terrifying at first, the thought of having the faith not to be healed ultimately freed me from worry. It allowed me to have complete trust that my Heavenly Father knew me better than I knew myself, and He would do what was best for me and John.”

That We Might "Not Shrink" (D&C 19:18), David A. Bednar Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
CES Devotional for Young Adults • March 3, 2013 • University of Texas Arlington

I posted a thread of my son-in-law was healed due to a blessing my son and I gave him.

In the Doctrine and Covenants it lists all of the Spiritual gifts with the language..."to some it is given and to another it is given" (hope I quoted it correctly).

When my oldest daughter was 5, she had a medical issue that doctors sad could only corrected by surgery. I (with the help of a missionary) gave her a blessing and she was healed and did not need surgery.

When my wife was found to have a lump in her breast and was supposed to have surgery...I blessed her with the help of another Elder and she was healed.

Now in the D&C, it says that "some have the gift to heal and others the gift to be healed".

I have two illnesses that I have gotten blessings for but no healing. Once while very sick and received a blessing...later that night I was hospitalized and spent three days in the hospital.

Can someone have both or all gifts? (This is probably be a great question for "Ask Gramps".)

I disagree.  You clearly have been healed, otherwise you couldn't have written this post.  This being said, do not suppose that your hospitalization wasn't part of the healing process.  Not all healing is miraculous/instant.  For that to happen, you would have to believe in miracles, which I do not.

I disagree. You clearly have been healed, otherwise you couldn't have written this post. This being said, do not suppose that your hospitalization wasn't part of the healing process. Not all healing is miraculous/instant. For that to happen, you would have to believe in miracles, which I do not.

Maybe you're right...don't mean to sound ungrateful. Forgive me if it seemed that way, that was not my intention.

I disagree. You clearly have been healed, otherwise you couldn't have written this post. This being said, do not suppose that your hospitalization wasn't part of the healing process. Not all healing is miraculous/instant. For that to happen, you would have to believe in miracles, which I do not.

Sorry double post. :( Edited by Pa Pa

I hesitate to say someone wasn't healed because of lack of faith.  Sometimes God's will trumps ours: 

Paul pray fervently for a long time for healing of his "thorn of flesh" and was not healed.  God wanted to keep him humble.

Jesus healed a man's son even though the father admittedly struggled to believe.

I can't see any reason why someone could not attain all gifts.

Good question!  The presence of the spiritual gifts is the hallmark of the church of Jesus Christ and it is valuable to understand them and what they signify!  The answer is in the scriptures.  Some of you have danced around it, coming near, but just missing the mark.

DC 46 answers the question in the most plain language we could hope for.  I recommend everyone read the section in its entirety, but here is an excerpt that addresses the question beign asked specifically:

26 And all these gifts come from God, for the benefit of the children of God.

27 And unto the bishop of the church, and unto such as God shall appoint and ordain to watch over the church and to be elders unto the church, are to have it given unto them to discern all those gifts lest there shall be any among you professing and yet be not of God.

28 And it shall come to pass that he that asketh in Spiritshall receive in Spirit;

29 That unto some it may be given to have all those gifts, that there may be a head, in order that every member may be profited thereby.