Combining boys and girls in Valiant 10/11 class?

lagarthaaz

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if in your ward they separate the 10/11 year old Valiant classes by gender? I can't see anywhere in the handbook where this is mandated - or maybe I'm not looking properly?

We simply can't get enough teachers for all of our Primary so I'm looking at possibly combining some classes. I received a fairly strong reaction to the suggestion of combining the Valiant girls and boys, and have been told 'we've always split the boys and girls for that age group because they are going into YW/YM soon, and the boys have their priesthood preview this year, etc.'. I know the church traditionally used to have the MerrieMiss and Blazer classes, but I was under the impression those were done away with years ago. 

Anyone here with experience in this area? I'd appreciate some insight from others.

Thanks! 

I taught 11 year olds in my last ward to a combined class, and in my current ward to a separated class of boys. I do think that boys of this age are starting to notice girls and tend to act stupidly around them (a condition from which most of us never recover), so they do tend to engage better in segregated classes. But, a good teacher should be able to do fine regardless.

Interesting that it's so different depending on where people live. Looks like splitting the classes just depends on the culture and needs of the ward. If we combined our two classes we could have up to ten pre-teens in one room, and I hear you about the boys JAG, our boys are all great kids but they are definitely playing up for the girls (and the other boys!).

Thanks for the responses everyone!  :)

I teach the 10/11 year old girls.  We combine those two ages in our ward.  I have 8 girls in my class and they all come regularly.  They can be a handful.  I love them and I see wonderful potential in them.  I can see where it would be a whole different dynamic if the boys and girls were combined.

Since I have been married this class has always been together, co-ed.  Not sure the need, and definitely not mandated within the Church Handbook of Instructions.

We don't split 12/13 (14/15, or 16/17) Sunday School classes; however, if there were enough boys and enough girls and enough teachers, this is really a call by the bishopric and primary president.

I see more an added benefit to have them together as the class is pertaining to gospel doctrines, which are not gender specific.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if in your ward they separate the 10/11 year old Valiant classes by gender? I can't see anywhere in the handbook where this is mandated - or maybe I'm not looking properly?

We simply can't get enough teachers for all of our Primary so I'm looking at possibly combining some classes. I received a fairly strong reaction to the suggestion of combining the Valiant girls and boys, and have been told 'we've always split the boys and girls for that age group because they are going into YW/YM soon, and the boys have their priesthood preview this year, etc.'. I know the church traditionally used to have the MerrieMiss and Blazer classes, but I was under the impression those were done away with years ago.

Anyone here with experience in this area? I'd appreciate some insight from others.

Thanks!

At 10/11 they need to be getting used to being in class together anyway.