Second pregnancy

Bini

Everyone told me that my second pregnancy I'd show early. Boy, they weren't kidding. At 12 weeks I clearly had a baby bump but now at 15 weeks, holy cow, I look 6 months prego. What other second time around motherhood "joys" did you experience? :D What things were easier and what things were harder?

Guest LiterateParakeet

The good news is the labor and delivery with the second is generally easier.  My first labor was 20 hrs., the second was 10 hrs! Yay!  

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is the labor and delivery with the second is generally easier.  My first labor was 20 hrs., the second was 10 hrs! Yay!  

That's not necessarily the case. I would expect your labour and delivery to be different than the first. It could be shorter or longer. I would not go into it expecting it to be easier - it's called labour for a reason. :)

M.

Guest LiterateParakeet

That's not necessarily the case. I would expect your labour and delivery to be different than the first. It could be shorter or longer. I would not go into it expecting it to be easier - it's called labour for a reason. :)

M.

It's not necessarily the case, but it is commonly the case. First deliveries are generally more difficult than subsequent deliveries....or so says the baby books and all the moms I have talked to. :)

I keep toying around with a "natural birth" (though I admit it probably won't happen) mainly due to my hippy-dippy friend with the mountain man parents and the little farm finally became a doula and is spouting stuff on Facebook.

I keep toying around with a "natural birth" (though I admit it probably won't happen) mainly due to my hippy-dippy friend with the mountain man parents and the little farm finally became a doula and is spouting stuff on Facebook.

Ahh yes. Natural births are very on trend right now. Really on trend with all my vegan/crunchy mamas. I opted for it first go around but ended up needing cesarean, and you can't undergo c-sec without drugs.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I have 5 kids, I had hospital births (one was a c-section), and I also had home births (one was a water birth...and that was my favorite!).

If there is anything we can say for certain about birth is that it is unpredictable.  For me, it was nice to plan the "dream" birth, but only once (out of five) did things go according to plan LOL.

FWIW, my favorite (i.e. easiest) births were the home/water birth and the c-section!  Seriously.   

ETA: I never had a VBAC, my c-section was with my last baby.  He was breech. The doctors turned him, but he turned back the little rascal. Interestingly, even though I had had babies 3 and 4 at home, at the beginning of my 5th pregnancy the Spirit told me that this baby would need to be born in the hospital.  So I got an OB and planned for that.  It was a good thing too, because we both spent a week in the hospital after that birth.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet