Feeling down.

Str8Shooter

My wife and I are kind of down in the dumps right now. Nothing serious, just the blues. Today I saw a fictional but graphic scene of a bunch of people being executed by firing squad. It came on during a commercial and there was no time to change the channel before it happened. It was for a fictional movie, not documentary.

My daughter is not going to be reading her favorite book series anymore, by her choice. The author introduced a homosexual character. Later on in the book it gets inappropriate. They are supposed to be children's books.

On t.v., many of the cartoons are having homosexual characters, inappropriate contact between characters, inappropriate language, etc. These are supposed to be kid's shows.

So long story short, as a family we've decided that we are done with it. We are firing broadcast tv from our home.

My wife and I feel kind of alone because so many church members willingly watch this stuff and recommend it to us to watch. We feel like we stick out like sore thumbs.

So we are just wondering if anyone else is feeling or has felt the same, or are we needing to put more tin foil on our heads because we are so far out in left field that we've lost perspective. Misery loves company, right?

Edited by Str8Shooter

I stopped watching tv about 10 years ago because so much is inappropriate. I feel that we all need the Spirit to navigate our lives. We need to be open to promptings to make the right decisions and to protect our families. We need the Spirit to serve in our callings and to do our visiting/home teaching. We need the Spirit to help us juggle our religious, work and family responsibilities. If the Lord of the Universe is prepared to counsel me on the appropriate way to deal with a difficult family member, I would have to be crazy to interfere with my ability to hear His advice. I bear this in mind when choosing what movie to watch!

I applaud your decision.

I have for a long time seen much of tv, movies, anything of the sort as having not only the overt evil aspects that you see, but also all kinds of subtle messages and insinuations coming to evil conclusions.

So my opinion is that most or all of it is corrupt.  Most or all of it is actually propaganda, indoctrination into the agenda.

So look for that rare good stuff and take delight in it.

The great rule that we must all learn, which I learned as a child, from my parents, was, just because 'everyone' is doing it, seeing it, reading it, does not mean it's okay.  Or good.  Or right.

dc

I applaud your decision.

I have for a long time seen much of tv, movies, anything of the sort as having not only the overt evil aspects that you see, but also all kinds of subtle messages and insinuations coming to evil conclusions.

So my opinion is that most or all of it is corrupt.  Most or all of it is actually propaganda, indoctrination into the agenda.

So look for that rare good stuff and take delight in it.

The great rule that we must all learn, which I learned as a child, from my parents, was, just because 'everyone' is doing it, seeing it, reading it, does not mean it's okay.  Or good.  Or right.

dc

I took a class in college that was entirely about propaganda. When I see it in children's shows, especially the more sinister and devious parts of it, I get a bit angry. Adventure Time is full of it.

My husband and I have never had a television subscription of any kind, and have only owned a television when it came with the apartment we lived in. We have never felt like we were missing out in any way. When our favorite shows were on (The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation) we simply caught them on Hulu the next day. Netflix covers whatever our other viewing needs might be - but I mainly use netflix for documentaries nowadays. 

We decided also, years ago, that we would not let our children watch modern television programming, and not a lot of recent films either. When/if we ever do have children, I will purchase old Sesame Street, Babar, Curious George, Tale Spin & Darkwing Duck, etc. seasons on DVD. Classic Disney films, as well as greats such as The Princess Bride, Star Wars, Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, etc. will make up the rest of their viewing material until they are teenagers at least. That was my childhood, and I see no reason to yield to media or peer pressures and let other, "modern" or "progressive" things into their lives. I've seen many of the shows that are out there, I would say that at least 90% of them are mindless, inane, and designed to damage energy levels and attention spans. 

I don't think we have had a TV service since we got married. We stream. Netflix, Amazon, etc. When one must actively select a show instead of mindless channel surfing, life is easier.

Since leaving my parents' house, I've likewise never had TV-TV.  Netflix is the best!  And because I rate movies, it learns my tastes and suggests things that I'm much more likely to appreciate than just channel surfing.