Boston marathon bomber

Backroads

Guest MormonGator

Morally I have no problem whatsoever with the death penalty. The blunt truth is that some killers need to be put to death so they don't kill a prison guard or another inmate in there for a much lesser crime. 

That said, I have zero confidence that the government can apply it fairly. 

The older brother was the "true believer". The little brother was just a psychopath who wanted to kill people. I don't care in the least what happens to him.

Sorry to sound harsh but my wife is from Worcester. She's been to the Boston Marathon before as an observer. She wasn't going that year, thank God.

Guest MormonGator

They can't execute him soon enough.

That's the prevailing idea up there too, from all my friends and family. The left leaning papers (not pejorative, just descriptive) are "surprised" that the jury voted for death but that just shows out of touch they are. 

First, they should have had a change of venue for the trial. If this case didn't call for it no case does...but there will be years of appeals anyway.

Second, the government is off the hook for allowing this to happen.

Third, if he is found guilty and given the death penalty after all appeals I have no problem with his being executed. 

Guest MormonGator

First, they should have had a change of venue for the trial. If this case didn't call for it no case does...but there will be years of appeals anyway.

Oh absolutely. I'm not a lawyer but I thought the trial judge made a huge mistake in not changing venue. Don't get me wrong, I have zero sympathy for the monster but in this country even monsters have rights. 

Guest MormonGator

Yeah, that just seemed like a no brainer to me too...until they didn't change the venue :rolleyes:

To be clear, it's not out of sympathy to him. He made his decision and has to deal with the consequences. It's out of sympathy to the survivors-I think the case will get overturned on appeal. 

As an attorney, I would have been raising holy Hades for a change-of-venue, too; but I can also see why the judge ruled the way that he did.  Any meaningful change of venue would have had to pull the trial out of New England entirely; and at that point you're likely to get a more conservative jury pool that is more willing to apply the death penalty. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Well you see all we need to do is forgive  . . . insert Facebook meme about forgiveness here . . . and that will make it all better.

Oh, and forgive my foray into sarcasm....

I think that the death penalty has its place, and it seems appropriate to use it in a case like this... but it bothers me a bit how many people who call themselves Christians are practically salivating at the prospect of executing this guy.

Raise your hand if you think Jesus Christ would be sitting there as a witness to the execution with a big foam novelty finger on His hand.  

Anyone?

Edited by unixknight

Guest MormonGator

No one is doing cartwheels for it but I admit I have no sympathy for him the least. He killed three people, including a young woman and a small child. I have no sympathy for him. None whatsoever. 

Edited by MormonGator

Oh I wouldn't expect anyone to have sympathy for him, I sure don't.  I just feel weird about celebrating someone's death.  

Whey killed Bin Laden I was watching the news and they showed people out in the streets celebrating in New York.  I mean, I guess I can understand their feelings, but it struck me that it didn't seem all that different from when Palestinians were in the street celebrating as the Twin Towers fell.  Are we really better than they are if we act like that?

Guest MormonGator

Oh I wouldn't expect anyone to have sympathy for him, I sure don't.  I just feel weird about celebrating someone's death.  

Whey killed Bin Laden I was watching the news and they showed people out in the streets celebrating in New York.  I mean, I guess I can understand their feelings, but it struck me that it didn't seem all that different from when Palestinians were in the street celebrating as the Twin Towers fell.  Are we really better than they are if we act like that?

Oh I understand what you mean. In fairness when someone commits a horrific act of evil like Bin Laden did, I think the sense of relief and justice is appropriate-it's okay to celebrate in my opinion. For no other reason than to say "He can't do it again, thank God" 

But I undertand what you are saying 100%. 

An execution should be a solemn and terrible thing, and not a cause for joyful celebration. I remember hearing that Joseph Smith was supposed to have said that you can tell when a man has rejected the Spirit, because he prays for his enemy's destruction. (Sorry, no reference.)

Hollywood has fed us a steady diet of revenge fantasies for two generations now. Hardly surprising that we should see that mindset acted out among so many.

In fairness when someone commits a horrific act of evil like Bin Laden did, I think the sense of relief and justice is appropriate-it's okay to celebrate in my opinion. For no other reason than to say "He can't do it again, thank God" 

Yeah you're right that makes sense.  I guess it's a tricky balance and we sort of have to be introspective about it.  In the case of a guy who is on death row, it's unlikely he'll be able to hurt anyone so I'd think that sense of relief and justice would come when the conviction was achieved in court.