Clarification needed

jcvaldez

I need to settle an argument. I've always grew up knowing that only worthy priesthood holders are allowed to open and close meeting houses. And in order for the meeting house to stay open a worthy priesthood holder must be present in the building during the time building is open. Is this still true? Was ever true? Have the rules changed?

Thanks

The security for the men is the men themselves.  Sure there may be some ninja women in the ward at the RS meetings but I personally feel better if a priesthood holder is around. Not a sign of weakness. I've been the almost last one in the building at night. It's creepy. I don't like it.

I had not heard of the rules and they certainly are not enforced at our ward. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea and shouldn't be carried out when feasible. I've been to unsafe areas and would understand if it was a local policy there.

Growing up in Utah our church building were never locked but remained open 24-7. 

As an interesting side note - the rec-hall (as it was called anciently in Utah) was considered a "common" area - as well as most of the class rooms.  However, the chapel was considered sacred and it was considered a sacrilege to wear everyday wear when entering the chapel.  Our chapel had a pipe organ and it was a unwritten rule that for someone to practice on that organ - men must wear a suit and tie and ladies wear dresses.  Since I am a guy, I may remember this incorrectly but I believe that ladies were expected to wear hose.  For sure flip flops was taboo in that ancient culture.  But times have definitely changed the culture.

When it comes to the routine cleaning of the chapel by members, its sometimes the case here that the chapel will be opened and/or closed by the wife/mother as the husband/father may be busy with something else at the time they have agreed to clean. 

I can see the reasoning but seems unnecessary.

A friend of mine had to do a law enforcement style building sweep (no weapons, but extremely thorough) because criminals and other hooligans would sneak into the church building and hide in it.  It was more that an occasional event.

There have been cases of women being attacked while alone at church buildings.

It does not happen everywhere, but it does happen.

I would assume that's not statistically the norm. In the grand scheme of things, just seems unnecessary. I mean, the church sends out female missionaries alone without make company. I'd think they'd be more of a direct target.