Can Someone Explain To Me What Happens In Spiritual Prison? I'm C

clay

I recently approached two very nice Mormons in a park in Tupelo MS. I had some questions for them because I wanted to better understand what the differences were in what I thought it took to get to heaven and what they believed it takes to get to heaven. I wish someone could explain to me what the spiritual prison was about and also explain to me what it takes to get to heaven.

Thank you for your responses.

Put simply as Latter Day Saints we believe that when we die there is a tempoary seperation between body and spirit. When we die we got to Sprit Paradise which requires a knowledge of the Lord and the Gospel, or Spirit Prison until if/when we recieve the light or knowledge.

I don't think we know much about the form Spirit Prison takes - Have you ever read the Chronicles of Narnia? I imagine it to be like the situation the Dwarves are in at the end of the Last Battle - they are really in heaven surrounded by beautiful things and are given the option to move further into heaven however they still think they are in a dark stable - when Aslan gives them a wonderful feast they think they are eating rotten turnips.

This is different to Outer Darkness or the Celestial Kingdom, this is what occurs after the resurrection when our body and spirit are reunited for judgement.

Charley

• 3 weeks later...

In order to understand what we believe it takes to get into heaven, one must first understand what our belief is concerning heaven. We believe that there are three degrees of glory, levels, if you will, of heaven. The Telestial is the lowest, the Terrestrial is the second, and the Celestial is the highest. And then there is outer darkness which isn't a degree of glory at all.

It is not difficult to enter into the telestial kingdom. ANd it is reserved for those murderers, whoremongers, and those who know and love a lie. In the end, all sin will be forgiven except for blaspheming the Holy Ghost, but they do not warrant a better reward than this. In this kingdom, you will behold the glory of the spirit, but not the father or son.

The Terrestrial Kingdom is for Latter-Day Saints who have a testimony, but were only lukewarm in their conviction. They were basically good, but didn't live to the best of their ability. This is also for good people that do not belong the the church. Here you will behold the glory of the Son, but not the Father.

The Celestial Kingdom is reserved for those Latter Day Saints who were faithful to the end, kept the commandments, obeyed and followed every covenant. You will forever live with your family and you will behold the glory of both the Father and the Son.

Outer Darkness if reserved for Satan and his angels. Also, anyone who has a perfect knowledge of the truth and have partaken of the power of the Holy Ghost, but still rebel and put Christ to an open shame will go here. Fortunately, very few souls will end up here.

They way I was taught it, was that the spirit prison is a kind of waiting room between this world and our eventual destination (Celestial, terrestrial, telestial or outer darkness), and that it was for those people who did not have the fullness of the gospel brought to them in this life or who did not want to hear it. It is a period of waiting, when souls are given the opportunity to have the gospel. If they accept, then they will eventually progress to one of the three kingdoms of glory, depending on the life you lead, as explained by the previous posts. If they don't, then it will be outer darkness for them. I think this is about right, but I'm quite a new member so I might be a bit off. If I am, someone fell free to correct me!

From reading D&C 138, I perceive that the afterlife is no second-hope for those who willfully rejected the gospel in this life, or who, through inaction, do not grab ahold of that which is available. Further, while there is a subtlety, the words there are both of hope and of warning.

I recently approached two very nice Mormons in a park in Tupelo MS. I had some questions for them because I wanted to better understand what the differences were in what I thought it took to get to heaven and what they believed it takes to get to heaven. I wish someone could explain to me what the spiritual prison was about and also explain to me what it takes to get to heaven.

I take it from your response that they never answered your questions while you were there in the Park???

• 4 months later...

Ignorance is the worse kind of prison. Knowledge and truth is necessary for a person to be free.

In essence, sacrifice is necessary to get to heaven (Where G-d the Father and Jeusu live - who are examples of sacrifice for the benefit of others) and seeking the desires of "self" is the gateway to spiritual prison (Where Satan is the example of the result of seeking what the self desires).

The Traveler

Not getting into the abode of God isn't the same as not being saved from hell, or outer darkness. Since Evangelical's see two destinations only heaven and hell not getting into heaven (the abode of God) would be very bad. I don't see LDS belief as requiring much obedience to get saved in the lower kingdom's. Getting into the abode of God would if i understand LDS right require grace plus gospel obedience.

In my title line, I just quoted lyrics from an old song, by Roger Miller, that some of the oldest, here, might recall.

Having said that, I will answer your question (and concern?):

ANSWER: They clean toilets all day long (in spirit prison).

footnote--wasn't your question, "What do they do, in spirit prison?"

• 3 weeks later...

Though I am not trying to answer the origonal question. This made me start thinking a bit about why it is called spirit prison.

The only thing that came to mind is that people will be caging themselves due to non-belief in heavenly father and Christ. Kind of goes along with how satan is bound in the millinium and then is loosed for a season. Satan is bound by our faith not by actual chords. So when he is loosed for a season it means a litteral dropping in the overall level of faith... So I was thinking maybe that is why they call it spirit prison. It is a prison created by those people for themselves by themselves due to there lack of faith?

Being raised roman catholic and then converting to the lds church. I've always kind of associated the general christian belief in heaven and hell into the spirit paradise and spirit prison.

Alma the younger's conversion story gives us perhaps the greatest insight into what Spirit Prison is like (Alma 36). Upon death, we go to the Spirit world to await the resurrection, to be taught the gospel fullness, and to improve our situation. All those who die without repenting, will pay for those sins, even as Jesus suffered pain (D&C 19). This aptly describes Alma circumstance, of experiencing a Near Death Experience in the Spirit World. He had sinned greatly, and upon reaching the Spirit World, entered Spirit Prison, where he described his pain as "exquisite." He continued in this pain, until he repented, when he was instantly rescued from the pain, brought into Spirit World Paradise, and experienced the "exquisite joy" of being redeemed.

IMO, based upon the scriptures, each of us will probably spend time in Spirit Prison for our unrepented sins. D&C 132 states that even the righteous that have received their callings and elections made sure, but then sin, will suffer the "buffetings of Satan."

We will remain in Spirit Prison until we totally and completely bend our will to God's. Insofar as we refuse to do so in this life, will determine our sufferings in the Spirit Prison. For Alma, it took him 3 days to humble himself enough to repent and embrace Christ's atonement completely. For others, it may take decades or millennia to be humbled enough to completely reject sin and completely embrace Jesus - so that the day will come when "every knee will bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord."

Now, after this saving from Spirit Prison, we still will be judged according to what we have become. When we come to the final judgment seat in front of God, those who have been wicked will shrink in his presence, seeking to have the rocks cover them up so they don't have to experience his great glory (Alma 12). The wicked, in fact, would prefer being in hell over standing in God's presence (Mormon 9:1-4). So the final judgment will basically determine what level of glory each of us is willing AND able to receive. It will be a relief and joy for a Telestial or Terrestrial person to receive the amount of glory they are able to endure. And it will be a relief for Cain and other sons of perdition to receive a kingdom of no glory (D&C 88, D&C 76).

I recently approached two very nice Mormons in a park in Tupelo MS. I had some questions for them because I wanted to better understand what the differences were in what I thought it took to get to heaven and what they believed it takes to get to heaven. I wish someone could explain to me what the spiritual prison was about and also explain to me what it takes to get to heaven. Thank you for your responses.

Taken directly from lds.org: LDS.org - Search=

Spirit prison is a temporary state in which spirits will be taught the gospel and have the opportunity to repent and accept ordinances of salvation that are performed for them in temples (see D&C 138:30–35). Those who choose not to repent but who are not sons of perdition will remain in spirit prison until the end of the Millennium, when they will be freed from hell and punishment and be resurrected to a telestial glory (see D&C 76:81–85).

A place called spirit prison is reserved for "those who [have] died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets" (D&C 138:32). The spirits in prison are "taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, and all other principles of the gospel that [are] necessary for them to know" (D&C 138:33–34).

Those in spirit prison have the opportunity to learn the gospel of Jesus Christ, repent of their sins, and receive the ordinances of baptism and confirmation through the work we do in temples (see D&C 138:30–35).

Paul (2 Cor 12:1-4) and Jesus on the cross taught that after death, we go to a place called "Paradise." Peter explained that included in this place is a spirit prison, where the gospel is preached to the dead (1 Pet 3:18, 4:6).

Spirit Prison is where we go to suffer for our sins until we are ready to totally repent of them and give ourselves over to Christ's atonement. Only Jesus' atonement can save us from spirit prison. A good example is what happened to Alma (Alma 36), as well as to King Lamoni and his father.

Later, we will resurrect to whatever level of righteousness we are ready and willing to live. D&C 88 tells us that those who live a celestial law shall receive a celestial glory. Those who cannot live the celestial law will receive a glory commensurate to what they have become: terrestrial, telestial, or without glory in Outer Darkness.

Almost all mankind will be saved to a kingdom of heaven. Very few will become sons of perdition, as it requires a person to become intimately aware of Christ and his covenants, and then become Jesus' complete enemy, such as Cain. Most of us do not have a strong enough witness of Christ, nor have we sinned seriously enough, to merit Outer Darkness. Even most murderers, after suffering in spirit prison, will receive a kingdom of glory.

Peoples of other religions will be preached the gospel in the Spirit World, to give them a chance to repent and have a greater glory, if they so choose it. In this way, all will get an equal chance to hear of Jesus and receive a greater glory from Him, if they repent and choose Him. Sadly, most will not accept a fullness of God's glory, but will choose a lesser glory because they have not become valiant enough to stand with confidence in Father's presence. Still, it will be a wonderful gift of glory they will receive, for the telestial kingdom is described as far better than anything upon this earth.

Clearly the LDS teaching is all encompassing. It offers a near universal salvation, with peoples everywhere and in all time periods receiving a chance to hear and accept Jesus and his full gospel. All people will receive a kingdom that is equivalent to their level of faith and faithfulness. This teaching shows a merciful God that desires to give all people a fair chance of returning to His presence, and to give to most of those who fall short a wonderful place, anyway.

• 3 months later...
Guest User-Removed

MS. I wish someone could explain to me what the spiritual prison was about Thank you for your responses.

Latter Day Saints belive that te less than faithful will be subjected to 3 squares of Green Jell-O an a revolvin track o Janis Kapp Perry tunes...bwahahahahaha

Hi clay!

You've gotten a few answers already, but I would like to share my answer with you.

Spirit Prison is an area for those "...who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets." While in spirit prison, individuals will have the opportunity to hear and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ, where "...after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation."

In regards to how do you get to heaven, well, to state it briefly, the LDS believe that anyone who believes in Christ, is baptized and receives the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and endures to the end by remaining obedient to God's commandments, will get to heaven. However, our understanding of heaven isn't exactly the same as all others. If you want more information than this, please let me know.

Thanks for bringing your questions here.

Kind Regards,

Finrock

Not getting into the abode of God isn't the same as not being saved from hell, or outer darkness. Since Evangelical's see two destinations only heaven and hell not getting into heaven (the abode of God) would be very bad. I don't see LDS belief as requiring much obedience to get saved in the lower kingdom's. Getting into the abode of God would if i understand LDS right require grace plus gospel obedience.

While we believe that there are three levels of heaven and God dwells in the highest abode, we also believe he can step down to the lower levels and visit them there. This is also suggested in the Ascension of Isaiah text (ca 150 AD).

In this text, we see many LDS concepts come to light. First, mulitple heavens are shown. Jesus actually descends through the heavens, emptying himself of glory, so that the residents of each level can look upon him without shrinking.

A theophany occurs that is very similar to Lehi's in 1 Nephi 1, wherein Isaiah sees the Lord and the 12 descend from heaven. Isaiah is given a book to read. And there are other similarities, as well.

Personally, I am thankful for a God that saves almost all mankind from death and hell - even if most of us do not make it to the highest level of heaven. This truly demonstrates how much God loves the world. Not only has he sent his son to save us, but he has made it so that almost all of us can escape the everlasting hell in Outer Darkness and its pains.