Second Coming - What do we do?

mdfxdb

I love the book "Wind of Fire", by Stephen Fritz. I mention it every chance I get (some forum posters might think I have only one drum to beat).  It is a fictional story told with an LDS perspective. It is fiction, so it has its "interpretation" of things and not to be considered totally doctrinal based, but you did ask about theories. The story ends by giving a perspective of day-to-day life following the Second Coming.

There was a post just yesterday about different perspectives/theories on the millenial period. You might want to check that thread out.

This is likely way out of the ballpark but I used to envision the second coming as thunder crashing and clouds going grey, causing complete and total chaos, nobody knowing what's happening in the moment. Then a voice speaking, and that voice speaking in whatever language is needed, for the listener to understand. Maybe that voice is speaking instruction? I don't know. The whole thing used to freak me out. Used to.

Yeah, my perception was also that there would be non-Mormons during the Millennium.

Economically, I see little reason why life wouldn't go on as normal--but in a United Order sort of economy, where work is done with a much stronger eye to the common good.  People will still want to eat, they'll still want clothes, they'll still need shelter, and they'll still want to improve and beautify the earth.

I have a dim recollection of reading an Orson Scott Card essay speculating about the subject back as a late teen; but I'll be darned if I can remember the source . . .

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Read 3 Nephi and 4 Nephi for a view of this...

It seems pretty clear there will be a time of rebuilding from the destruction.  There will be some kind of consecration among the members, but not everyone will be members so the some kind of buying and selling will continue.  We still have to work to provide the necessity of mortal life  Missionary work will go on.

However the wicked will be gone, destroyed, so that should have an impact on various things (for the better one would assume)

So Christ comes in all of his glory right?  Then what? 1000 years of......

I guess I am a little unclear as to what will happen.  Does anyone have any theories on this?

During the Millennium, mortals will still live on earth, and they will continue to have children as we do now.

People will still have their agency, and for a time many will be free to continue with their religions and ideas. Eventually everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is the Savior.

There will be two great works for members of the Church during the Millennium: temple work and missionary work

During the Millennium, Satan will be bound. This means he will not have power to tempt those who are living at that time.

During the Millennium, there will be no war. People will live in peace and harmony together. Things that have been used for war will be turned to useful purposes. 

During the Millennium, there will be no death as we know it. When people have lived to an old age, they will not die and be buried. Instead, they will be changed from their mortal condition to an immortal condition in “the twinkling of an eye.”

The Lord said He will “reveal all things—things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof—things most precious, things that are above, and things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven” (D&C 101:32–34).

In many ways, life will be much as it is now, except that everything will be done in righteousness. People will eat and drink and will wear clothing. People will continue to plant and harvest crops and build houses. (See source here).

So as you can see, we believe people will continue to raise families, build homes, raise crops, and manufacture for peaceful, wholesome purposes. There will be educational and religious activities, travel, and much the same life as there is now - without Satan's temptations or those who were too wicked to abide the Lord's coming being around to cause further grief. 

So everyone living on the earth will be converted? 

If the Savior arrives tomorrow will I get up and go to work the next day?

Brigham Young wrote that if we plan to walk streets paved in gold, it will be on gold me mine. So, yes, we will go to work. That was part of the motivation for me writing Wind of Fire.

Read 3 Nephi and 4 Nephi for a view of this...

It seems pretty clear there will be a time of rebuilding from the destruction.  There will be some kind of consecration among the members, but not everyone will be members so the some kind of buying and selling will continue.  We still have to work to provide the necessity of mortal life  Missionary work will go on.

However the wicked will be gone, destroyed, so that should have an impact on various things (for the better one would assume)

Interesting responses.  So how do we define the wicked?  You state the wicked will be gone, destroyed.  How does that happen?  Where do all the wicked people go?

"People will still have their agency, and for a time many will be free to continue with their religions and ideas. Eventually everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is the Savior."

So through missionary efforts, everyone will be converted?

What about those who don't convert?  Will they be deemed wicked?

Interesting responses.  So how do we define the wicked?  You state the wicked will be gone, destroyed.  How does that happen?  Where do all the wicked people go?

"People will still have their agency, and for a time many will be free to continue with their religions and ideas. Eventually everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is the Savior."

Wicked would be those that work against the will of God, not those that simply don't understand the will.

Once again I say read 3 Nephi.. You will see that it is God that defines what/who is wicked and God will be the one that destroys them.  Those whom remain passed/survived the Judgement of God.  While that doesn't destroy agency it only leaves those that are already exercising their agency for Good.  The following generations only influence will be from these good people which continues the trend.

3 Nephi 25:1-2 -  For behold, the day cometh that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble; and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of Hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

But unto you that fear my name, shall the Son of Righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth and grow up as calves in the stall.

So mass destruction huh?

There are about 2.2 billion Christians in the world.  7 billion people in the world, more or less....

Or are we defining wickedness as only those that commit murder/covetousness/all of the bad things the lamanites and nephites did in the first chapters of 3rd Nephi?

In one scenario there is complete and total destruction, and in another there is mercy to the unbelievers who are given a chance during the millennium to accept?

Some members of the Church have an erroneous idea that when the millennium comes all of the people are going to be swept off the earth except righteous members of the Church. That is not so. There will be millions of people, Catholics, Protestants, agnostics, Mohammedans, people of all classes, and of all beliefs, still permitted to remain upon the face of the earth, but they will be those who have lived clean lives, those who have been free from wickedness and corruption. All who belong, by virtue of their good lives, to the terrestrial order, as well as those who have kept the celestial law, will remain upon the face of the earth during the millennium.
  --Joseph Fielding Smith, cited in https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines-of-the-gospel-student-manual/chapter-37-the-millennium-and-the-glorification-of-the-earth?lang=eng.

So, looks to me that the first cleansing hits anyone not living a terrestrial law.

Ok, so what will the cleansing be?  Will 4.8 billion souls not make the cut?

The wrath of God.... 

My understanding is that the cut off for who remains is those worthy of Terrestrial Glory or higher...

In D&C 76 a brief description is given

74 Who areceived not the btestimony of Jesus in the flesh, but afterwards received it.

75 These are they who are ahonorable men of the earth, who were bblinded by the craftiness of men.

So Christ comes in all of his glory right?  Then what? 1000 years of......

I guess I am a little unclear as to what will happen.  Does anyone have any theories on this?

I have considered much and believe it to be a time of great possibilities.  But because I think science will be involved and that genetics will be mastered far beyond current understanding I am likely to tick off some that might believe all will be accomplished by sitting round waiting for revelation or for divine powers to completly take everything over.   I believe we can and should be invested and by so investing will not only extend life but make the transisition to the next life much better.  I believe that spiritual improvements will allow greater understanding and control of the physical - that knowledge will be greatly advanced and that many great things will happen - both for physical and spiritual benefit.  I believe that science and the knowledge of emperical discovery will be coupled with spiritual advnces and that the righteous will discover ways to balance learning in both science and religion.